Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's available in survival, I'm not sure about creative (it's tied to the food bar, so if there's no food bar in creative then you might not be able to sprint). You have to tap the forward key once then hold it down, which took me a little while to figure out as I was trying to tap the key repeatedly, which just made the camera go weird.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the fact that Notch has rised the cloud layer up to the highest level of the sky. No more clouds floating through our towers and mountaintop homes.

Still a few bugs to be found. I've had immovable wood blocks appear on my floor and in my inventory, as well as a few game crashes. but thats to be expected. Its actually amazing how relatively bug free its been.

Can't wait til the server is updated with the official version. Its amazing how lonely singleplayer feels after you've played with friends.

*Edit: Hehheh. Just discovered that with a fully charged bow, you can one-hit kill a Ghast. Be vewy, vewy quiet...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Good to know about the clouds. That's always been something that annoyed me. I think the ceiling limit was also raised.

4. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

It's nice that Ghasts won't be so freakishly hard to kill anymore, which means that we won't have to bring 10 stacks of arrows just for a quick project in the Nether. Awesome.

5. TheGodBen

The ceiling limit wasn't raised, but Notch changed something in the code so that it will be easier for modders to raise the height limit in the future.

Some guy on reddit posted a 20kmX20km map to show off the new terrain generator in comparison to the old one.

The old generator

The new generator

As you can see, snow and ice aren't implemented yet, but look at the size of those oceans. That one on the bottom left must be at least 75kmĀ²!

Speaking of which, I generated a new world earlier and found myself on a small island with a single tree and all I could see around me were two other treeless islands. This should provide me with an interesting challenge until 1.8 is released proper.

6. Cutter John

I'm quite looking forward now to traipsing across the server landscape creating giant mushrooms. :)

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

FYI, the seed "GibeHausPlss" will spawn you right next to a village.

8. TheGodBen

Hunger makes the survival aspect of the game much more interesting. I was playing around with that world I mentioned earlier where I spawned on a small island, and I tried to get a wheat farm up and running, but the wheat was growing too slowly and my food bar was nearly at the bottom after a few days. Thankfully, I found a spider one morning, killed it, made the string into a fishing rod and now I have a supply of delicious fish and the occasional loaf of bread. These small island starts are great, it's like playing a randomly generated survival challenge map.

9. Robert Maxwell

I sure hope they get snow biomes working again before 1.8 is released for real.

10. Itisnotlogical

I found the recipe for glass panes. It's pretty much the same as for fences, but with glass cubes instead of sticks. It creates 16 of them, which (considering that panes can be picked back up again) makes it a lot more efficient for large glass projects than cubes.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I was browsing the official forums last night and someone discovered that while giant mushrooms don't generate naturally yet, you can use bonemeal on any mushroom to make it grow bigger.

12. Cutter John

Wow I'm way out of practice playing in an open world. Creepers are kicking my butt. :)

Thankfully now there are lots more food options. Beef and chicken. But I'll be damned i I'm gonna rotten zombie meat though. Save that for the wolves.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  13. TheGodBen

Did anyone notice that animals are now permanent (and finite)? No animals were spawning on my island so I went to a nearby landmass and sheared some sheep so I could make a bed. When I passed through that area again about an hour later I saw shorn sheep running through the land. To test this, I collected a bunch of eggs left by chickens in that area, brought them back to my island, built a pen and threw the eggs until a chicken popped out. The chicken never despawns. I even left the island for half an hour once and when I came back the chicken was still in its pen. It seems like the new passive mob spawn mechanism is in 1.8 even though mobs can't breed until 1.9. :wtf: (You can kind of breed chickens by throwing eggs though.)

It might be wise to survive on a diet of bread and fish until 1.9 comes out, otherwise we may drive the all the animals to extinction.

14. Itisnotlogical

People beware, I triggered a nasty glitch when I tried to cook some cobble to make smooth stone. Crashed the game and took all my cobble away.

15. Cutter John

Yeah I've heard about the furnace glitch. Not everyone has it though.

Hmmm, and according to rumor, the official release of 1.8 is on Monday.

And I did notice the sheep stayed sheered. Well good. Maybe it'll cut down on folks running around killing animals for lulz.
    And of course it teache skids about the need for a balanced diet. (one serving from the pork group, one from the mushroom group, one from the bread group...) ;)

16. Itisnotlogical

Tomorrow, or Monday next week?

17. Cutter John

Tomorrow was the date I've seen thrown around the forum. But as always, take with a grain of salt.

18. Robert Maxwell

I'll be so glad when I have my main computer back and can play this again. :lol: I've got company for all of this week (and last week) and they've taken over my computer because I'm too nice to make them use my evil, evil netbook. :p

But this might work out fine, if 1.8 is released today. By the time I get my computer back, we should be up to 1.8_12 or something.

19. Cutter John

No release today darnit. Although Jeb tweets that he is planning to release an updated pre-release version on Tuesday. http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_

Heres a current list of bug fixes.

* SSP chunk memory leak
    * Mineshaft density (half now)
    * Increased stronghold count to 3 per map instead of one
    * Furnace tile entity crash
    * Crafting bench ghost items
    * Vines (and leaves) crash in nether
    * Use item animation in SMP (blocking and eating)
    * Blocking in SMP
    * Sprinting with right-click or sneaking
    * Added some blocks to creative mode
    * Fixed dropping items
    * Nothing can be eaten in creative mode
    * Enderman client-side problems
    * Chicken and cow drop burned food
    * Squids drop exp
    * 1.7 worlds should get structures
    * Farmlands rejecting melon and pumpkin seeds
    * Bonemeal on melons and pumpkins
    * Bonemeal on mushroom only works on dirt or grass
    * Added item drops for cracked and mossy smooth stone brick
    * Adjusted fog strength at low positions

I'm especially happy about that last one. One thing I'm unhappy about currently is that the deepr you go, the darker it is. My giant underground mine now looks like this, despite loads of torches and the brightness setting turned all the way up. :p

[​IMG]

20. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

it's kind of funny on the minecraft forums the amount of sulking going on because 1.8 has been delayed. I often wonder sometimes if people forget that the game is still in beta and is not yet a finished game, or the fact that the pre-release has thrown up some bugs that are or have been fixed.
    still makes me chuckle at the posts of 'I'm going to delete mine craft blah blah blah'

me, i'm looking forwards to 1.8 but i'd rather wait until they've got it sorted out first. i've always got other games to play things to do