More Jammer TNG Reviews

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mitty, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw that today. So far, I agree with some of his thoughts. I think he should have gave Ensigns of Command at least 3 stars, but really loved he gave the underrated Survivors a perfect 4. That was actually a surprise.

It's been almost a year since he wrote TNG reviews, so it was great to see the update.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see high ratings for The Enemy and The Defector - possibly by two favourite TNG episodes.

4. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL Tomalak, I wonder why you like those 2? :D

But seriously I agree with you. The Defector is possibly one of the most perfect eps I think. Picard's Speech to the Admiral in the ready room is one the reasons he is so great.

5. tomalak301

^I was a bit surprised Defector didn't get 4 stars. It was a well played performance all around.

6. patlandness

patlandness Captain Captain

Hooray for "The Survivors"!

But "The Defector" and "Deja Q" deserved the full 4 star treatment as well--they're both Trek at its best.

And for the matter VGR's "Death Wish" and DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" deserved the full 4 star treatment from him too. IMHO

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't get all the love for "The Survivors". It's not that I think it's bad, it's just that I don't find it to be a particularly memorable episode.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm looking forward to Yesterday's Enterprise. The Defector is easily one of the best, and it's a shame we didn't see the Romulans used so well more often.

[​IMG]

9. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't speak for anyone else but I really enjoyed "The Survivors". Some of the many reasons that I rank it up there and I didn't see Jammer mention:

The mystery was quite intriguing and I had no clue what was up until the very end when Picard masterfully detailed what was going on. I don't know about anyone else but I loved the sad look on Rishon as she was confused that she wasn't real.

Anne Haney and John Anderson gave great performances as Rishon & Kevin Uxbridge. They really felt like they were a real married couple--Kevin was this stern gruff fellow and Rishon softened him up.

I loved the way she was kind to her guests and chided Kevin yet could stand her ground defending him against accusations by the crew. Those two gave really lovely performances and really helped make this not only a clever sci-fi mystery but a sad little love story to boot.

Then there was the nicely done ship-to-ship battle sequence. TNG rarely engaged in these showdowns so it stood out as a nice treat to see the old Enterprise get into a skirmish with such an intimidating looking warship which was well designed I thought.

The location shooting was nice. All things considered certainly a four-star outing.

//////
    As for his other reviews I would have given the same scores on all except--Ensigns of Command(I would give it a 3-star), Who Watches the Watchers(3.5), The Vengeance Factor(2.5-3), Deja Q(3 stars I don't love it as much as most).

Wonder of wonders I finally found a kindred spirit who actually has something nice to say about "A Matter of Perspective". I agree it deserves 3 stars. It does lose a little something in repeats but if you don't watch it for a few years it can be fun.

//////

I also thought he was too harsh on "The Bonding"--a personal favorite. How can anyone not like this?

It has got heart, numerous compelling scenes(Riker/Data discussing familiarity impacting the sense of loss, Picard's wonderful speech), Worf opening up to Jeremy about his parental loss, Bev and Wes' little heart-to-heart about Jack, Wes revealing to Picard about his hidden resentment, the touching scene of the bonding ceremony to close out the hour and wonder of wonders Troi actually was put to good use in her role as ship's counselor.

And if the overflowing character moments aren't enough there is a pretty interesting mystery surrounding the forces on the planet. Plus the name "Koinonians" is just uber-cool. And unlike Jammer I appreciated the way RDM used the sci-fi idea of the aliens recreating the mother since it provided an interesting way to explore human truths and conditions through a more fantastical way.

/////
    Afterall who wouldn't want to resurrect a parent and we got to see that and the emotions it brings to the surface. So yeah I'd give this an easy 3.5 star rating not a 2-star rating that puts it in the company of ENT's TATV, VOY's The Fight, Fair Haven etc. Just my two pence ;)

10. If he doesn't give it 4 stars, then there must be something wrong with him. ;)

11. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Great news! Off to read and I'll be back with my comments later. Thanks for the tip Mitty!

12. tomalak301

Jammer Reviews Best of Both Worlds, and everything else in between. Just thought you'd all like to know, since that episode was one reason I was excited for him to start reviewing TNG.

13. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Does Jammer post on Trek BBS? If not, someone should convince him!

14. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. tomalak301

All ya got to do is look on the main page under the forum Deep Space Nine.

As for how much he posts here, well, it isn't much. I'm still wondering why he's a mod but that is a different issue entirely.

16. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't give BoBW a 4-star rating. IMO it is the best episode taken with Part II in Trek.

I agree with The Most Toys, Tin Man and Hollow Pursuits but I have to say I don't think Menage a Troi is that bad. I enjoyed it as mindless entertainment.

17. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

Jammer deserves not to be a mod on the Trekbbs. He has other priorities, but the Trekbbs clearly is not one of them. :vulcan:

He has racked up a total of only 802 posts in the last 7 years. Someone has to always notify him to post or moderate in here, which is few and far between. Clearly a ceremonial position at best.

18. tomalak301

I think he was one of the first members here, and he really really loved DS9 at the time. That's why he's mod and gets away with it.

19. euphorik

euphorik Captain Captain

hmmmmmmm. i don't always agree w/ this guy's ratings, to wit:

"the ensigns of command" - definitely (at least) a 3 star episode. the data story is wonderfully bookended by the opening and closing scenes, and picard-vs-sheliak is perfectly written. additional points for making the alien of the week LOOK like an alien, something they did less and less often in later seasons.

"the bonding" - i don't understand why this episode is so disliked. this is a great character episode; the scene where riker asks data "do you remember how we all felt when tasha died?" is one of the best scenes of the 3rd year.

"booby trap" - i LOVE this episode, and never felt like it was a "technobabble" episode at all. it's a great character episode for geordi (and, to a lesser extent, picard) with great effects and superb sometimes-you-just-have-to-turn-it-all-OFF original series-style moral. great episode.

"the high ground" - three stars for THIS? booooooooring episode. not bad, just clumsy, obvious, and pretty uninvolving.

"tin man" - and three stars for THIS? yuck. obnoxious guest star, irritatingly cheesy music. yuck. as far as i am concerned, this is the only real turd of the the 3rd season. i hated it on first run, and i hate it still.

20. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

It is indeed a diffent issue entirely.
    And neither one of you has any idea of just how much time he spends here. Assuming he's not here simply by looking at his post count is would be making an incorrect assumption. There's a lot more to moderating than post count.

On-topic, I agreed with most of his most recent reviews. Even Tin Man which I actually enjoy.