The Lizzie Borden Chronicles on Lifetime

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Greg Cox, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Anybody else watching this show? Lizzie, played as a cold-blooded sociopath by Christina Ricci, is racking up quite the body count so far. I'm curious to see how they're going to sustain this as ongoing series. How many people have to missing before the Fall River authorities figure out that Lizzie is up to no good again?

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I hadn't heard of this one. The last such version I saw was the Elizabeth Montgomery movie, The Legend of Lizzie Borden. Is this one alright?

3. Greg Cox

There was a new TV-movie, Lizzie Borden Took an Ax, about a year ago. It got good ratings, so now we're getting a TV series continuing Lizzie's adventures after the famous murder trial. There have been two episodes so far . . . and Lizzie has killed at least three more people already . . . .

At this point, I can't really recommend it with a straight face. We're talking guilty pleasure here, but I'm curious to see where it goes. And, yes, one should probably put any concerns about historical accuracy out of one's head, since, last I heard, the real Lizzie was not running around killing people after her trial! :)

(FYI: the old Elizabeth Montgomery movie is now out on DVD as well.)

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I've seen the season premiere.

It's like somebody at Lifetime said "We need our own 'Dexter'" and somebody else said "Let's make Lizzie Borden into one. It's not like she can sue us now..."

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    What's with the music choices and the switches to slow motion mood? Good thing Christina Ricci is enjoyable to watch in this because I really can't imagine this being more than a silly show. It's odd.

6. Greg Cox

The music is really jarring and distracting and is almost enough to drive me away from the show, but Ricci keeps drawing me back in.

7. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The old poem sounds like bull imo, just stuff people concocted back then to smear her in general. Not that that she was completely innocent, but I don't buy into it completely.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Um, according to the jury in real life she was...

9. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Well we can't be entirely sure. We weren't there.

But it's great they did find her innocent. Glad they were able to see through all of the smearing.

10. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't yet, but hasn't Lizzie Borden been done to death (no pun intended) in countless different shows already?

11. Greg Cox

Not really. There was a TV-movie starring Elizabeth Montgomery way back in the seventies, over forty years ago, but beyond that . . . ?

Warehouse 13 referenced her once, but Lizzie herself didn't appear and that wasn't even the main topic of the episode. I can't think of any other appearances.

There's been a handful of novels over the last few decades, but, as far as I know, she hasn't been done to death onscreen.

Maybe you're thinking of Elizabeth Bathory? Or Bloody Mary?

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Most dramatic adaptations of Lizzie Borden usually fictionalize some things. About 10 years ago I played Lizzie Borden's lawyer in a stage production of Blood Relations and I remember researching her legal team of the era and finding out that she actually had like 6 lawyers, whereas Sharon Pollock had combined the attributes of all the lawyers into one "Defense" character for the play.