What if Garrett Wang had left Voyager instead of Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 6, 2013.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is an oft-recurring theme throughout this franchise, is it not? Roddenberry, in particular, seemed concerned about the Human capacity to put any spin on reality.

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Odo could please Kira by simulating perfect sex for her. I remember there was a weird sex scene where Odo was basicly like a big shiny mist over Kira. She seemed to be into it, but it didn't look like something I'd want to do.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

As Odo said, if you scan a shapeshifter while he's in the shape of a rock, you will detect a rock. So, yeah ok that and what I'm about to say kinda contradicts Broken Link, but if you can't detect a shapeshifter with a tricorder scan, a shapeshifter must be able to produce a functioning Bajoran endocrine system. And also Bajoran pheremones and pheremone receptors.

Besides, when Odo had solid-sex with the female shapeshifter she remarked that while it felt good it paled in comparison to the great link.

When Kira was surrounded by plasmic Odo it was in the episode where she had to prove that she loved him for who he is and not just because of the solid he pretended to be. So perhaps she was pretending to like it to make him feel good. But also I'm sure they could have discovered a way to physically communicate between the two to make both get something out of it.

4. 2takesfrakes

You're right about Odo's nocturnal activities with Kira. It's mere "simulation." That's it and all about it ...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kira is all about power and integrity.

She wants a man that will shape the Galaxy.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that what the hip Bajorans call it these days?

And no 2takes, the point was that it wasn't simulation, it was real. Like when he's a rock he's verifiably a real rock.

7. 2takesfrakes

Hey, was it ever resolved, anyway ... this hypothetical question of "what if Wang had left, instead of Lien? :guffaw:

8. Guy Gardener

She dated the deputy Pope and then the Prime Minister, and then a Founder of the Dominion who might as well have founded the Dominion.

From DS9 Return to Grace.

9. teacake

eh, I need to be less oblique.

Yes Kira was a power girl. All those stars, she was going to Gajazzle it.

10. Guy Gardener

This is you acute?

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have liked a character dynamic between Kes and 7 of 9. I think that would have spared us those painfully awkward “hologram teaches her to be human“ episodes.

12. teacake

I'm a frakking laser.

And Jarrod, HOW DARE YOU wish to be spared from such adorableness. It's XMAS for godsake, and here you are complaining about that which brings so many joy.

13. borgboy

I was visiting the Facebook page for Kathy Cody, an actress from the classic Dark Shadows series, when I was surprised to see a picture of our Kes posted there, which someone (not me) had posted, pointing out a resemblence between Lien and Cody. It was neat to run across a picture of Kes in a completely random and unexpected place.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jake was far from a dork. Jake had mad game with the ladies.
    All his ladies were hot and he traded them off like credit cards. It was Jake introduced his Dad to Kassady. Jake was trying to rap to her too. Being the station commanders son gets you perks.
    Nog had the Uncle that owned a bar and that meant money.
    Woman & money?
    Jake & Nog were Ferris Buller's Day Off

I'll bet people that don't understand homosexuality think the same things.
    Sexual degradation & BDSM really throws them for a loop.

Dude seriously, who is your dealer and are they accepting new clients?
    I want in! :lol:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  15. Guy Gardener

Odo doesn't see through his eyes. What ever sense he must use to identify his surrounding would be equally representative over every inch of his body no matter what it's pretending to look like.

When Odo kisses Kira, he's investigating her throat gastroscopically.

Assuming that he doesn't need "light" to see, it must make it seem like cheating during cunnilingus, if he's not lumbering about navigating by guess work and inarticulate bitter threats from above.

On the brighter side, with the Constable being anosmic, Kira can eat all the garlic she wants.

16. 2takesfrakes

If he's overstayed his welcome, she can tap him on the head ...

17. 2takesfrakes

No.

18. Guy Gardener

I will agree with your no, but in the beginning Jake was Ferris and Nog was Cameron, but by half way through the Show, Nog was Ferris and Jake was Cameron.

19. 2takesfrakes

Captain Harriman was Cameron and that ... is ... that!

[​IMG]

20. borgboy

There were times when Odo did act as a metaphor for being gay, but it's not literally the same thing. I think the intention was that Odo was enjoying sex with Kira, but I do think he was so very alien and different that he was experiencing things way different that a standard humanoid.
    I never really liked Odo having this mad crush on Kira anyways. I can see how it worked with his story arc of feeling detached, longing to belong, affirming his connection to the Federation side in the War, etc. It still just felt weird, he's so alien, his natural state is protoplasm, so it seems odd to me that he'd have such a human expression of love and sex.
    It's also a bit lame that he seemed to identify as a heterosexual male considering his true nature. You'd think his gender identity and any sexual orientation should've been more fluid.