What's the over/under?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shatnertage, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you think the over/under is for a non-2009 film-related thread to get its first post bashing the 2009 film? Ten posts? Twenty? Two?

I just asked a question about the TMP refit in the GTD board, and was getting some good stuff, but it didn't take long for talk to turn to the 2009 movie.

I can appreciate that some of us don't like the new movie, but I'm still amazed that sooner rather than later almost every conversation ends up being about it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Starfleet rank system?

I think I was the one who brought it up in your thread, sorry :(.

(I love the movie, btw)

I was just pointing out that there's a similarity between not everyone loving the TMP ship in 1979 and not everyone loving the STXI ship in 2009. I've recently been reading old Best of Trek books where people complained about everything in TMP from the corridors to the uniforms to the ship to the Klingons and even the transporter effects, and there were those vocal few who, like today, liked to pretend the film didn't happen.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The over/under? I thought it was this. :D

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDKh6MyiEM[/yt]

4. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KingDaniel--You made a valid point; a few posts later is when I got the idea for this thread, when things really went off the deep end.

In the right fora, I don't have any problem with talking about what I perceive as short-comings in the new film, but it gets a little ponderous when everything comes back to this same subject, all the time.

Mr.LaserBeam--that's hysterical.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's gotta be 10 - the haters can't seem to keep their mouths shut past 10 posts in. They'll go out of their way to find some strange segue to let you know how much nuTrek sucks and I'm pretty sure they have prize support for the first guy to get in on a thread. I'm a little surprised THIS thread hasn't been hit yet.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I know it's kind of tricky with this topic, but let's try to keep it about the thread trends described in the OP and steer clear of making it about other posters, okay?

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Nor should they, there is plenty to praise with the most resent movie (no names), however a even handed evaluation will point out all the movies interesting attributes, not merely the positive ones.

I personally saw Chris Pine's apple biting in the Kobayashi Maru simulator an wonderful homage to William Shatner's similar move in the Genesis cave after discussing his experiences in the simulator with Saavik (TWOK).

Hope that does not make me a hater.

:lol:

8. Bishop76

Well, the OP of this thread was that they go out of their way to hate in threads completely unrelated to the new film. I loved the new film, but do realize its flaws and "interesting attributes". However, when the discussion is about whether people like the TMP Enterprise refit from TOS, it's hard to see how "the Enterprise being built on Earth in the new movie is stupid and so is the new movie" is in any way relevant...

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

The new movie has no flaws. It was perfect.:guffaw:

That should draw a few of them. I think they actually search for any positive comments by keyword and zero in on them.

Realistically speaking, while I love the new movie, I realize it does have flaws and even things I just plain do not like.

[It is so funny to me, I remember being threatened by a moderator for coining the term 'hater'. Now it is in common usage.]

10. Bishop76

YOU coined the term "Hater"? Really...