The 82nd Annual Academy Awards - discussion thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Daneel, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Don't be obtuse. :rolleyes: ;)

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Fawcett was in a quite a bit of films, unlike Jackson who was in one film and cameod in another. Anything to honor that sick freak I guess...

Richard Attenborough, the director of Gandhi, admitted back in the day that he voted for ET as Best Picture.

One thing I always found funny are critics who complain years later about Rocky beating out Network, All the President's Men, and Taxi Driver. What I say to it...after 33 years, people still remember Rocky. It's arguably one of the most popular and memorable Best Picture winners of all-time. Does anyone remember Network and All the President's Men? People remember Taxi Driver because of DeNiro/Scorscee but it's more infamous because it was the film that nutjob Hincley (or whatever his name was) got obsessed with Jode Foster and used that to shoot Reagan.

3. Trekker4747

She was, but the work she's most known for is on TV.

Jackson, however, at the very least his music has been used in countless movies over the last 30 years. I'm not saying including him over Fawcett was "right", just that I could see why she was left out. She's most known for her TV stuff.

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you actually see The Hurt Locker, or are you just going along with all the right wing crap that gets posted about it? There was nothing pro or anti war/military about it (hell, the lead actually goes back to Iraq because he loves his job!). I don't remember anything anti-American, either. It was just a bunch of soldiers doing their jobs- some can take it, some can't. That was the point of the movie to me. I don't recall a single "We shouldn't be here! America sucks! This war is wrong!" moment in the film.

Righties can take their anti-Hollywood, anti-liberal, anti-anything that isn't pro-American or Christian attitude and cram it up THEIR asses. :p

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was Jackson actually in any movies. By that I'm talking about actual movies, so Music Videos don't really count. I was surprised that Jackson was included but Fawcett was not.

6. Trekker4747

Jackson was in, starred, one movie. Moonwalker which is a music video/clumbsy narrative movie that came out sometime in the late 80s. But, as I said, it's probably more from his music work being in so many movies.

FWIW, here's his IMDB page: Jackson's IMDB

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

People don't remember Network anymore? I don't think that's true, but if it is, sad. Rocky remains the most populist picture of the lot, as well as the only one to have produced sequels (including a recent follow-up), so it's no suprise that it is still remembered.

8. Trekker4747

Isn't Taxi Driver, like, one of the most quoted movies next to The Godfather?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Where is this coming from? I dont recall anyone being anti-American or Anti-Military last night. The Hurt Locker folks pretty much dedicated every award they won to the Armed Forces.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Probably, although I'd be willing to bet a lot of people don't really know where "You talking to me?" actually came from.

11. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I only cared about Mo'nique winning. Once I saw she won I turned it off.

12. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well, I guess now we have an idea of what Avatar might have been like if Cameron had decided to use makeup for the Navi instead of CGI. *shudders* :lol:

13. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Another screw up by the Academy

And who is saying Annie Hall is better than the original Star Wars? :wtf:

Oh Please!

Even for a Star Trek fanboy that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted here.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rocky certainly deserved Best Picture. Annie Hall is memorable as a movie to this day; Star Wars generated a franchise which has kept it in the public view, so comparisons on that basis are misleading. No one need apologize for preferring Annie Hall to Star Wars.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I overreacted a little on some of the films but I see this criticism/observation a lot by film critics yet they never bring up the fact that Rocky is still the best remembered and popular Best Picture's of all-time.

The most popular Best Picture's....any list has to be include the two Godfather films and Rocky.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Most ridiculous thing you've ever seen posted here?

You are the one who claimed recently that everyone would rank Star Wars in their top ten films of all time lists, right?

17. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I like "Rocky", "All the President's Men" and "Network" almost equally. Just saw the latter two last year, actually. I think they are a lot more mature and intelligent than "Rocky", but I can understand why it was chosen over them and don't consider that a poor decision.

The simple fact is that "Rocky" has a more universal appeal. Those other two are so focused on one specific aspect of American culture (one, political corruption/journalism in America and two, the immorality and sensationalizing of television in America). Both are worthy topics covered in extremely eloquent and thoughtful films, but "Rocky" is also brilliant, just in a different way. Where it succeeds above those movies is in the power of its sentimentality. It can be inspirational and moving to audiences all over the world, while the other movies lack heart (on purpose) and are very America-centric. "Rocky" is heartwarming without being manipulative and carried by uniquely endearing characters brought to life with lovely performances and dialogue.

These examples people are giving of movies getting robbed really baffle me. The only one I really agree with is "Saving Private Ryan". That movie was a harrowing, unforgettable work of genius, and "Shakespeare in Love" is a corny, pretentious piece of trash I can't even get through watching from start to finish. Even as someone who majored in English and loves Shakespeare's work, I find that movie awful. Harvey, thanks for backing me up on "Annie Hall". I respect the success and pop culture impact of "Star Wars" as well its achievements in special effects, but I found all of the movies in the series shallow and forgettable. There's no way one of them deserved to be awarded above one of the best filmed love stories of all time.

18. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Well for sci-fi fans it's a no brainier, but if you don't care for the genre then yes, I could see it not making your top ten.

That post was made in the context of the type of fan that posts here, but then again I forgot some people that post here only like Star Trek, and TOS at that too.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If your list was only science fiction films, then it would break my top ten, but if it included other genres, I'd have a hard time including Star Wars before 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and a one or two others.

And I'm a huge science fiction fan. And a huge Star Trek fan, having enjoyed all six series (including VOY, ENT, and TAS!). But, to each his own.

20. *raises eyebrow*

err... what? Are you talking The Hurt Locker? Really?

This is the one Hollywood war movie that conservatives actually kinda like.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with some other war movie? :wtf: