Disney's JOHN CARTER

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JimTheBuilder, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I remember Lynn Collins in Wolverine alright, but Kitsch hardly at all. I though she made a pretty good Dejah Thoris, although, like all the Red Martians depicted, she probably didn't look as exotic as ERB might have imagined.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid even with a bigger name actor it still would have been dismissed by most people as just a cheesy Prince of Persia/Attack of the Clones knockoff.

The style and art design of the movie just looked painfully tired and derivative, and there's no trailer you could cut that would have changed that.

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's irrelevant how many people watched it, you said 'i doubt many people outside America could name anything he's been in'.

i named 2 things and i'm not American.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^I wouldn't have been able to name anything he was in without IMDB, He had a "Where do I know him from?" Face but I didn't even bother looking him up. And I am an avid TV and film watcher.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

^Exactly, and "many" does not equate to one, good captain.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that was stupid. Somewhat entertaining, but stupid nonetheless. I can't help but think that the whole movie would have been better off without John Carter. Think about it.

The princess is escaping from her marriage with Sir Humperdinck and gets in a battle just like in the film. Now instead of Super Mario saving her, she crashes into the Na'vi tribe where she earns the respect of the elder and befriends Sola. Without Mario we have more time to devote to the two cities, their wars, and the Hands of Blue. We don't get Colonel Walt this way, but that's a small price to pay.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I actually compared it to the marriage of Prince Valium and Princess Vespa from Spaceballs while watching. Which earned a small chuckle from the wife. :techman:

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would first require that "most people" had any idea at all what Prince of Persia is. :lol:

9. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Yeah - double whammy on John Carter to be marked as derivative of a film no one actually saw!

Sad part, as noted elsewhere, is John Carter is of course the original, yet it suffers because everything from it has already been done.

It's sort of like someone accusing Doctor Who of being a rip-off of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. And if you think that line of thought doesn't exist, I direct you to the first (only) user comment on this blog page where someone is indeed of that opinion - although he isn't completely clueless as he knows DW is older. He just personally considers it a rip-off:

http://challengeaccepted.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/what-our-future-holds-according-to-hollywood/

You can't win against that sort of thing. Just like I was reading a column that mentions that The Hunger Games has destroyed any chance of a Battle Royale remake for the next 10 years. Which is not a bad thing at all, actually, being a huge fan of the original novel and movie. Yet with Hunger Games poised to become the anti-John Carter ;) from now on there will be people who dismiss Battle Royale as a rip-off.

Alex

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, that fits so much better. I wish I had thought of that before I made my post. Oh well ...

You know, that's really the only problem I had with the film. Maybe all this stuff wasn't cliche back in 1917, but today it just doesn't work. Seinfeld is Unfunny pretty much doomed this film at the box office.

11. pork3

pork3 Commander

It's pretty bad when, after watching a film, the only thing I can think of is taking a shit.
    Sad to say, that was the case after this mess.

-Jamman