La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, that's what I thought -- they have part of it, but not the most famous part with the "siren song."

2. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Yes, thanks for making me listen to that album again. I'm sure it was the best they had at the time, but it really is unlistenable. Our set rights a lot of wrongs.

Neil

3. Christopher

^I look forward to it!

At the time, of course, the GNP album was a treasure, the first release of actual, original music cues from TOS, so we tolerated the poor quality and the timing error and such. Although the omission of the entire climactic portion of "Where No Man" always bugged me. I'm very glad we're getting a complete, clean version at last -- of that and everything else, which still amazes me. Has there ever before been a soundtrack set of the entire musical score from a television series?

4. Indysolo

No, there hasn't.

Are you going to be at the screening?

Neil

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So which will hit the shelves first, this or Vol 4. of Battlestar Galactica?

I never thought the GNP albums were that bad. Now I have REALLY high hopes for this set.

6. Christopher

In California? No, I live way too far away for that to be practical, and I'm too busy trying to make my deadline on the Trek novel I'm writing.

7. Indysolo

Oh okay, then I won't say "hi" to you there. :)

Neil

8. Indysolo

9. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Well, the list matches perfectly (for a single sided disc with equivilent tracks), but of course listening tells a different story.

There are still 35 tracks total, but somewhere around "Monster Illusion" (I suspect) things go amok. It appears something not accounted for is simply plopped into the order, and the following tracks are shifted forward. What is listed as "Kibitzers" is unquestionably "Monster Fight" in actuality. Strangely enough, somewhere down the line things fall back into place for the finishing of Where No Man Has Gone Before. I'm not certain where precisely, though it's likely that the 3 second "Hit the Button" track is totally absent. I do know "Instant Paradise" and the remaining tracks are perfectly placed. If anything the CD listed things exactly the same way as the LP when it should not have.

It has always driven me crazy, but I look forward to it all being where it belongs, AND having that delicious "Siren Song" music, notably absent to me for the 25 or so years since I got this CD. :D

(Oh, and everything else. ;) )

10. Christopher

^Weird. Makes me grateful for my old-fashioned LPs.

11. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quite an interesting set of revelations with these scores alone.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the track listings, and in some cases, comparing them to the contents of the GNP CDs.

Not to mention the library cues that were never used or heard.

12. Indysolo

This is driving me nuts. Why all the speculation about what's not on this set, when we've said repeatedly that if it was recorded for the series, it's here. Do you really think we left off a cue as prominent as that even though it's brief?

Neil

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You are right of course, IndySolo.

I think we'd all be better served by saving our questions for after when the set is released.

14. Christopher

Basill wasn't talking about your set there. We were comparing notes about the LP and CD versions of the '85 GNP release, and he was saying that their CD version may have left off that track as part of its mixups.

15. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Yes. In a word... catharsis. I was just talking about what drove me crazy about the old stuff in pure anticipation for your magnificent set, which I am totally aware (as you have repeatedly stated ;) ) has it all and leaves the old stuff in the dust. :D

16. Indysolo

SEASON 1, DISC 2

The Man Trap
    Music Composed and Conducted by Alexander Courage
    Episode #6, Recorded 8/19/66
    Aired #1, 9/8/66

1. Main Title* (electric violin version) 0:50
    2. Small Planet Visit/The Changeling M10/M11 3:26
    3. Episode Titles/Genuine Affection M12/M13 0:59
    4. First Goner/Salty Cat/Dressing Down M14–21/M22/M23 1:52
    5. Circle One/Monitor Gizzard/Down Again/Grey to Greene M24/M25/M26/M31 3:16
    6. Salt Chaser M32 1:34
    7. Noisy Plant M33 1:05
    8. At First Sight/Pill Tosser M34/M35–41 2:52
    9. Nancy Schmancy M42 1:54
    10. The Unreal McCoy M43 2:02
    11. Top Security/Lazer Dazer/Dodo Girl M44/M45–51/M52 4:02
    12. Conference M53 4:47
    13. Dead Crater/Last of the Last M54/M61 4:13
    14. Warp One* M62 0:43
    15. Trailer (“The Man Trap”) 1:02

Total Time: 35:15

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

The Naked Time
    Music Composed and Conducted by Alexander Courage
    Episode #7, Recorded 8/31/66
    Aired #4, 9/29/66

16. Brass Monkeys*/Out of Glove M10/M11 2:58
    17. Breaking Planet*/Sweaty Palm/Itchy Hand M12/M13/M14 1:20
    18. Joe Berserk M21 3:01
    19. Pulled Down*/It Spreads M22/M23 1:12
    20. Joe Goes/Sulu Finks Out M24/M31 1:00
    21. Up the Rebels/D’Artagnan-san M32/M33 3:09
    22. Banana Farm M34 2:11
    23. Out of Control/Lurch Time/Punchy Kid M41/M42/M43 1:48
    24. Party Time M44 1:34
    25. Medicine Girl/Hot Skin M45–51/M52 4:29
    26. Off the Cloud M53 1:06
    27. Captain’s Wig M54–61 4:01
    28. The Big Go M62 2:42
    29. Time Reverse*/Future Risk and End Title* M63/M64 1:45
    30. Trailer (“Mudd’s Women”) 1:02
    31. End Title* (electric violin version) 0:46

Total Time: 34:44

Total Disc Time: 70:07

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

17. Christopher

The release order is neither production nor broadcast order. Are the scores sorted by composer?

We've got our first entirely unreleased score here; as far as I know, nothing from "The Man Trap" has been released before. Previously unreleased cues from "The Naked Time" include:

Out of Glove
    Breaking Planet/Sweaty Palm/Itchy Hand
    Pulled Down/It Spreads
    Joe Goes
    Up the Rebels

The track here called "D'Artagnan-san" was previously released under the title "D'Artagnan." Some of the cues were combined differently on the GNP album; "D'Artagnan" and "Banana Farm" were combined, "Hot Skin" (mislabeled "Hot Sun") was on the same track as "Off the Cloud," and "Time Reverse/Future Risk" were separate from the end title cue. Also the trailer music was included at the start of the program; putting it at the end is probably more correct, since it was the preview for the following week's episode. (I wonder if there are any other trailers that had music composed specifically for them. Oh, wait, it says right there that there's a "Man Trap" trailer included!)

It'll be nice to have the full "Naked Time" score at last. It always disappointed me that the GNP release cut off after "Brass Monkeys" and didn't do the whole score for the teaser. And "Up the Rebels" must be the big statement of Kevin Riley's theme as he wandered the corridors, another notable omission.

18. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terrific!

So is what's listed on the GNP The Naked Time as Brass Monkeys really the trailer to Mudd's Women? And what is really Brass Monkeys?

19. Christopher

No, it really is "Brass Monkeys" -- it's just that the trailer comes before it on the list. The trailer is track 9, "Brass Monkeys" is track 10, etc.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Small Planet Visit/The Changeling M10/M11" should be a joy, if that's the cue played during the Nancy illusion tempting Green into following her scene. Lovely mix of seduction and dramatic music.