50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I really cant think of a good reason why you WOULD NOT have Mcgann at least. He is a virtually unknown Doctor and it would be actually something new and fresh in the special yet have a tie to the past.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, since The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors and Dimensions in Time were all quite mediocre, it leads me to think that these multi-Doctor stories are not easy to write and I'm not eager to see more of them.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I'm not a writer and don't even have half the imagination that Moffat does. But I imagine you could still visit classic planets, visit earlier Console Rooms, have classic villains (like the Zygons), follow up a classic story, bring back the Time Lords again, visit Gallifrey before the Doctor left, use footage from classic episodes somehow, have Tennant and Smith relive classic adventures.....

4. davejames

Sadly, the fact he's so unknown is probably why they wouldn't include him. For kids and the general audience, there wouldn't be that immediate recognition that you'd have with some of the others Doctors. Even after you explained who he was, they'd just be like "oh, ok. Well that's nice I guess..."

5. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

There is still a possibility they trial-and-tribbelate all the past Doctors into a sequence. It could be good.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but everytime someone suggests "Trials and Tribbleations" is feasible for Doctor Who I have to laugh. The technical differences between today's HD filming and the video tape of the 1970s and 1980s are unbridgeable.

Quite simply, it's not going to happen.

7. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love to see something with McGann. Yank him out of the Time War midstream, for instance. Give us a look at the the Doctor as he wrestles with the decision to use The Moment and burn everything. Something meaty like that could be fascinating.

Or maybe, that's where he gets the idea to use it. From one of his later incarnations...

8. davejames

I dont know. I could see them filming a brief sequence in the old video style with Tennant and Smith (like when they inserted Smith into that black and white Laurel and Hardy film).

And Smith did hint in an interview that parts of the special would be done in a different kind of format than usual, so who knows.

9. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, you've got such a large sample there that you've proven beyond a doubt that a good multi-Doctor story is impossible to write. :guffaw:

It seems like you give up pretty easily.

Actually, I quite enjoyed The Five Doctors.

Mr Awe

10. Mr Awe

Those would be nice. But, again, the most honest way to celebrate the contributions of the original actors is to include them in the special. Including objects and references just isn't showing the same appreciation.

Mr Awe

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just DON'T do what Fringe did any have them go into a cartoon world because they could not get the actor LOL

12. Mr Awe

Oh, I don't know, with a little bit of creativity, they could think of something. Time distortion or interference could degrade a time echo. It wouldn't be like T&T where Sisko was in the past adventure, but a bit of the past adventure could be visible during the current adventure.

Mr Awe

13. The Mirrorball Man

Snark snark snark. I wasn't trying to prove anything: I was just stating my opinion, which wasn't, I should reiterate, that it was "impossible", but merely "not easy" to write. In addition, I'd add that I haven't given up, I'm just "not eager".

Really, it's all there in my post.

14. Mr Awe

^ Well, it gave me a good laugh at least!

Well, we're all entitled to our preferences and opinions. I just happen to think it would be possible for a creative person to write a good story that includes a classic Doctor, and doesn't alienate newer fans.

15. davejames

I agree that would be the most ideal, but to me it's not "disrespecting the past" if they aren't in there.

Of course for me just seeing images of the previous Doctors in Next Doctor was thrilling as hell, so I'm probably a bit more easy to please in that way (if all we got was just, say, a classic console room, I'd think the special would be worth it). :p

16. The Mirrorball Man

Sure, I believe one Steven Moffat wrote something called "Time Crash".

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Let's also consider a group that would also have to be appeased: the classic Doctors themselves. So, it's not just writing a story for them to appear, it's also writing a story that they WANT to appear in.

Colin Baker has said that he wouldn't be interested in a cameo.

And didn't the 40th, or 45th, whatever the Dark Dimension fall apart because it was basically the Tom Baker show and the other Doctors didn't want to do it?

So, now you have to craft a story that at least 7 actors have to approve of before they'll agree to be in it?

Sure, it can be done, but that might take time. And Moffat does have time management issues.

In the end, it's not JUST an issue of imagination.

18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm never going to able to see an appearance by Tom Baker's scarf as somehow an adequate replacement for an appearance by Tom Baker, however they try and spin it.

19. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. I mean who knew the 50th Anniversary was even coming up this year? How could they be expected to plan for it in advance? And with all those extra episodes of the series that they've been pumping out over the past two years, where would they have found the time anyway?

:sarcasm:

20. Mr Awe

That's the redding herring I was talking about. Please pay attention! :) Hint, it doesn't have to include all of the classic Doctors.

Mr Awe