Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls II) now free & legal to download

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jim Steele, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Ah, Daggerfall, where I got infected with lycanthropy about half-way through the main plot by some merchant character (I think) and spent the entire rest of my time playing the game terrorizing the countryside and pwning enemies way beyond my level with magic-lethal claws and immunities to non-magic attacks. Good times. Never did finish it. Got a couple of corrupt saves and eventually dropped it.

2. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I have both, and if you're not bothered about mods (which i'm not tbh, the few quest mods I've tried have been an amateurish mess and not worth anyone's time, and everything else is just cosmetic or loot) then 360 Oblivion exactly the same experience.

I prefer the 360 controls, largely because it seems Oblivion was layed out with a controller in mind first before being adapted to M&K. The PC version will look much nicer on a modern machine though, and run at a much higher resolution and smoother framerate. The 360 version chugs a bit in the wilderness - it usually maintains 30fps but I've seen it drop to about 10-12 and all versions of the game suffer from horrendous pop-in.

Morrowind has aged beautifully! Especially with texture replacers, Better Bodies/Heads and the Morrowind Graphics Extender - it's very easy to get it looking every bit as good as Oblivion and then some. I'll attempt to find some screenies...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Oh, so many strange glitches used to happen in dungeons (not to mention custom spells). :lol: Bethesda was patching the game for years and years after its release and still never got it quite working.

I wonder if they've stripped out all the naughty bits? It's kinda sad seeing all the old books being censored in the new games.

4. Chimpy Chompy

Chimpy Chompy Commander Red Shirt

Older RPGs can be kind of daunting at first (flail around, not understand what to do, get lost in samey-looking dungeon, get murdered by lvl 1 rat). But I'd love to give Daggerfall a try, depending on its Dosbox performance.

Oblivion's world felt more alive, the npcs actually walked around and slept etc, and it had more involving quests.

However I did prefer the setting of Morrowind. I liked the exotic and slightly alien vibe - mushroom towers, insect-shell armour, dunmer culture, weird critters. More original than the wolves and castles of Cyrodil anyway. And the story behind the main quest was pretty cool too, with its theme of the end of an age of demigods.

5. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

anyone play fallout 3, developed by the same makers? Any good?

6. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

great game.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Fallout 3 is a very good game. Probably the game I've played for the longest time ever, especially once you add in the DLC add ons.

8. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there much interconnectivity of the 4 ES games? I understand the original introduced many different nations and each sequel has tended to only focus on about one of them?

9. Jim Steele

It's a consistent universe, and many events/towns/characters from previous games are referenced and have an impact on the later ones. Some NPCs are encountered in multiple titles, like Mai'q The Liar (can be found on an island in Morrowind, loiters outside certain city gates in Oblivion). But it's not a strict and linear plot, just a timeline.

The lore establishes things like Daedra, The Nine Divines, Tamrielic geography, races, social attitudes etc pretty early on. Many of the books you can read in Daggerfall can be found and read in Morrowind & Oblivion too.

It's interesting to note that in Bloodmoon, the second and final expansion pack for Morrowind, there is a prophecy foretelling the events of Oblivion.

10. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

sweet! I'm glad I got Morrowind on steam a while back
    now I don't have to drag my xbox out of storage :techman:

I really love the Elder Scrolls series. it has the deepest amount of lore and backstory of any rpg I've played. The races, the Daedra, the nations and provinces, it's the only game series where I've stopped to read a book :D
    I love how your character is greeted differently depending on faction standing, bounty etc (You n'wah!)
    the factions are great too

the island of Vvardenfell in the province of Morrowind always felt larger and more epic than the physically larger area of Cyrodiil
    the Ghostfence and the Red Mountain probably had something to do with it
    not to mention the mushroom trees and dunmer architecture

11. Jim Steele

This. :D

That's what I love about the Elder Scrolls series. It doesn't just hint at a wider world beyond the quests, it soaks you in it. Presents it to you on a platter and invites you to tuck in.

I've spent hours in Morrowind and Oblivion just exploring the landscape, without taking on any quests. Just wandering around, stopping off in inns, having the odd (stifled) conversation. You really can just live and breath Tamrielic life.

Shit. That probably makes me sound incredibly pathetic! :lol:

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Nah, I do the same thing. I love a game where you can just go exploring and see what's out there.

13. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Ah, this game seemed so wonderfully tacky when I devoured the Wikipedia article on it... apparently it was so glitchy in it's first release that it was theoretically impossible to beat the main quest, ha ha... I tried playing the original Arena (downloaded that one for free too), I couldn't play cuz I was on the ground laughing my guts out at the sheer oldness of it...

14. Robert Maxwell

So... you have a problem with old games?

15. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

^^ No, I think they're great (you're looking at the guy who spent $30 in one go on games published before 2000), I just get a kick out of really old computer games like Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Elite (kudos to whoever recognizes that last one). Partly because my computer can't handle any game released as recently as 2006...

16. Robert Maxwell

Oh, I thought you were mocking. :lol: It wouldn't surprise me, around here.

I love old games, too. Most of my favorites are from the mid '90's.

17. Jim Steele

Played the Amstrad CPC 464 version to death, and both its sequels on Amiga/PC :D

18. Robert Maxwell

Loved Elite and that whole genre. The closest things that I still play to that are Independence War 2 and Freelancer.

19. Jim Steele

Never played the IW games, but I absolutely love Freelancer. Ok, so the economy had zilch depth and planetary systems weren't realistically modelled like in Frontier, but it was a shitload of fun. Probably my favourite Elite clone after, well, Frontier.

20. Robert Maxwell

Pick up I-War 2 sometime, and get the Torn Stars mod for it. Basically turns it into an Elite clone. You can go from system to system, buying up goods to trade elsewhere. And it actually makes sense: you take processed ore to factories which build parts. You buy those parts and sell them to a manufacturing plant, and then you can buy things from the plant to sell elsewhere. You can also stake mining rights on asteroids and such for some extra buckage.

You can also pillage at will, and even steal ships if I recall correctly. Police react appropriately to your behavior, though, so you gotta be careful. :)