CW is making a pilot for remake of "La Femme Nikita"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by jefferiestubes8, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

original series:
    CW greenlights 'Nikita' remake
    Michael Schneider - 1/27/10 1:00pm
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014357.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Another strong female lead for CW network. Too bad they didn't have Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles....

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I will watch the first episode and see where it goes...I think Mutant X would work great in a primetime setting with those type of directors & producers.

3. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I guess Hollywood's unoriginality has reached the point of no return.

;)

4. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this is actually a "remake". The description makes it sound more like a "next generation" revival or even a sequel. I'm hoping they get Peta Wilson back to play the original Nikita (one one that's "gone rogue"). If they do, this might make it more Season 6 than a do-over.

Alex

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What is it about a follow up to a television version of a French film that was also remade as an American film that you find so unoriginal ? :lol:

6. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Wow! The remake of a remake!

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Which was already remade!

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never seen any of les femmes Nikita. I feel deprived! Still, yet another remake?

9. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno do we really need a new Nikita? I mean this just smells of a half season wonder that will be released on dvd as "the entire series" for $19.95 by Christmas.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Good Lord, I had forgotten Codename Nina! :lol:

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this going to take place in high school?

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. This pilot season is the worst I've ever seen.

Maybe I should ask the mods to boot my thread over here. There really isn't much sf/f to discuss...sadly. :(

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Actually I don't see why they couldn't in fact just produce a mini-series and do just that. Everyone seems to want to create series that they hope run for 5 years at 22 episodes a pop, when in fact if they did a 6-hour mini-series of this, then they could tell a strong story and then be done with it. Works for Britain. And in fact even though it was technically the show's third season, the huge success of Torchwood: Children of Earth, all 5 hours of it, shows you don't even need a dozen episodes to make an impact.

Alex

14. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Screw Britain. How would a 6-hour miniseries help a network like the CW, which has to deliver at least 10 hours of primetime programming per week? This season we saw what happened when a network (NBC) thought they had a better way of programming for primetime. It's better not to fuck with the formula.

15. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

This is frightening news. :( I love La Femme Nikita in all it's melodramatic and fun, often hokey glory. I don't see this remake/continuation going well at all.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. You gotta consider the business model that networks (on air or cable) operate under before saying what they should or shouldn't do. What the people who make programming decisions are going to is make the boss happy so they can keep their jobs. Whether or not they "should" be doing this (what does that even mean?) doesn't matter. They are going to do it, for the same reason we all try to make the boss happy so we can keep our jobs. :rommie:

So knowing that their goal is to maximize their career and earning potential, what are they likely to do or not do? Try to create hit series that maximize an audience for the longest possible period of time. TV is a hit-driven business. Nobody really knows what's going to work, and most of what they attempt fails, so a few big hits have got to pay for all the flops.

Nobody can afford to deliberately try not to maximize earning potential unless they want to hit the unemployment line. Every show they attempt must be treated as a potential hit until proven otherwise. If it weren't considered a potential hit, nobody would be trying it in the first place.

Even if some network were to say, hey let's do a six-hour show, if the ratings are sufficient, it will be expanded to a longer format. If they ratings are not sufficient, it will be cancelled. Same as if they'd planned for it to be of indefinite duration, so why not just plan for it to be of indefinite duration to begin with and scrap the pretense that it could be otherwise?

That's a somewhat different mistake from deliberately limiting the run of a show, but the same sort of mistake - there was no way Leno was ever going to be a hit of the sort that can pay for a lineup of flops that every network has to expect, even ones less lame than NBC. They forgot their business model, which is that if you waste timeslots on shows you know won't be hits, you're never going to get the hits you need to survive. And indeed - NBC has no hits. Idiots.

17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The Nikita tv-show was objectively really terrible, but I still liked it, don't know why.
    I hated the guy with the long chin though, whatever his name was.

18. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

I disagree. It was a niche show and particularly hokey, but not terrible.

19. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Well, when I watched it, it aired at 12:30 pm, right after (or before, I'm not sure) the Mortal Kombat tv series, which was also terrible, but was possibly the tv show with the hottest babes ever, maybe that didn't do Nikita justice for me. ;)

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this one will have Nikita guilty of murder or not. The TV series kind of wimped out on that.