Generations references

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by JarodRussell, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree that it would have been just as horrifying to the audience to see the ship we watched on TV all those years being slowly lost to the Borg. But being as they actually had a budget and time to do the film, I'd hope they would have done it right. The proper thing to do would have been having the Enterprise separate the saucer section the way it was supposed to and we would have spent the rest of the film seeing the battle section be assimilated.

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

And perhaps attacking the saucer section?
    I would have loved to see the ENT-D in FC, INS and Nem

3. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Totally agree. I loved the Ent-D & was a gutted when it was destroyed. Would have loved to have seen it in a few more movie as it looked amazing in Generations. I do like the sleek look of the E but the D is by far my favorite!

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Of course, the Borg would probably have disabled the ability of the ship to separate.

5. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not so sure. The Enterprise should have separated near to any Federation stations and then sped to the battle.

6. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

"Jean-Luc, blow up the damn ship!"

"Yeah...alright then"

Worf: "Well, this turn of events ruins the majority of my screen time in this film...oh well, back to DS9 for me!"

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Without the D getting destroyed in Generations, Worf wouldn't have ended up on DS9 to begin with. ;)

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

LaForge: "We can't separate."

Picard: "What?"

LaForge: "The Berman latches have been hard-locked by the Borg We have no way to break their encryption."

;)

There are several things that happen during or because of Generations that I wonder how they would be affected by the D not being destroyed... Data's emotion chip would surely have still happened, but LaForge's eyes? Worf's transfer?

Worf: "I have just received new orders from Admiral Berman to report to Deep Space Nine for reassignment."

I still think blowing up the D, then using Kirk to hit a reset button where the D is not destroyed, would have satisfied having a fancy explosion and crash sequence, while keeping the D and the accompanying TNG feel. Twould have been a good fakeout too. I was not particularly surprised that they destroyed it.

9. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

Carson repeats another of his own shots from the opening of DS9's "Emissary", during the battle with the Borg, a crewman walks across the bridge past the captain's chair while delivering some technobabbly line. At the beginning of Generations, the crewman played by Tim Russ does the exact same thing. It always stood out to me for some reason.

10. Praetor

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that.

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In in-universe terms, this probably would have happened. Sisko had a valid reason to request Worf's transfer, and Worf was a unique resource. Starfleet could spare thousands of people for keeping the E-D safe from intruders, but only one Klingon to sort out the troubles at the Cardassian front.

Worf would definitely have gone to DS9 in "Way of the Warrior". Whether he would have stayed might have been affected by whether the E-D awaited him...

Timo Saloniemi

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I thought the Enterprise-D looked beautiful too including the new lighting on the sets, surely they could've just changed the sets for First Contact? Looking at First Contact, I could never really see it being filmed on TV sets.

13. Praetor

They already changed them for GENS, so why not again?

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Exactly. One of the excuses used was that the Enterprise D sets had to be struck anyway to make way on the soundstage for the ones built for Voyager. But it would have been just as plausible IMO to have kept them in storage and then wheeled them out again (with modifications) every few years, just like they did with the Enterprise E sets.

The introduction of a new 'hero' ship in 1996 was exciting at the time and I had a sort of "love affair" with the 1701-E for a while afterwards as a result of it being new and different to what came before. But as time has gone on, I've now come to the opinion with the benefit of hindsight that it was a pretty hollow change, and that those sets and that exterior don't hold nearly the same emotional attachment for me as the ones used for the 1701-D.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Do you recall when? As far as I can tell, after they leave Spacedock Russ never leaves his console.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't as simple as that though, the sets were largely modified to build Voyager - the corridors, crew quarters, engineering were basically redressed versions of the TNG sets.

Probably just as easy to build a whole new set on different soundstages, purposely built for the scenes in the new film, than to redress the Voyager sets, then put them back again at the end of the summer.