Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I thought the Krenim timeship was BLACK? The model looks alarmingly white.

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

It's checkered dark and light grey. Looks predominantly dark grey though.

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Update from Canada...

Back in early May, I received the Enterprise-D, but that was the only model in the initial shipment. If I am remembering correctly, the US and the UK get two issues at a time, and they got 1 and 2 together, 3 and 4 together, and so on. So I was wondering if perhaps my refit Enterprise got missed. Well, my second shipment arrived today... it looks like we are going to get two at a time now, too, and in the same order as the US, but they'll be offset from what the US got, since I received issues 2 and 3 together!

The refit Enterprise was disappointing, but I was prepared for that based on all the comments here! ;) It is unfortunate, though, since the prime-refit is my favourite Trek ship, so I would have liked for it to be one of the "standout" models. It's not that it's "bad", per se, but the lack of fine details and aztecing makes it look, well, more like a toy than a model of an "actual" ship. And what's with the bump where the gangway hatch is on one side of the saucer?

The Klingon Bird of Prey was really nice, though. And I really like their decision to have the model in the "flight" configuration, since I believe all the other models I have of the BoP have the wings in attack position, so that makes this version unique.

Some random comments/questions:

1. I had mentioned last time that the first issue came in a bubble envelope. (Thanks to the posters who confirmed that the US and UK shipments come in boxes!) Well, it looks like this wasn't a one-off, since this shipment came in a bubble envelope too. Since there were two ship boxes in it this time, the magazines were in somewhat better shape than issue 1, but I'd probably still prefer a box.

2. The issue 1 model box arrived shrink-wrapped, and in this shipment #2 was shrink-wrapped but #3 was not. Is this something that was only done for the first couple? How is this handled in other territories?

3. Just curious... all the promo shots of the magazines I have seen online had the issue number in the upper left corner of the cover, so I was expecting that... and my magazines don't have that. Is that something that is only done for the promo mock-ups, or are the magazines actually numbered in other countries?

4. I was wondering when the binder was going to arrive, but this evening I found I had an email from them indicating that there was a delay in the manufacturing process, and the binder will come with the next shipment.

It looks like next month's shipment should be the NX-01 and the Romulan Warbird. Looking forward to them! :techman:

4. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

You're in for a real treat! There are some outstanding models in this collection. The refit Enterprise is the worst, in my opinion, so it just gets better from here on out. I'm hoping that when they get to the Enterprise-A they'll have a better model. The Excelsior is a little small, but I still like the model.

I agree that putting the Bird of Prey in flight mode was a good idea. I always thought the ship looked better like that.

Regarding your comments:

1. Here in the US they come in boxes, which I'm happy about. I think the mail carriers will take better care of a box than an envelope.

2. The models began back in October here, so I don't remember if they were initially shrink-wrapped, but I know they aren't currently.

3. Yes, the US has the issue numbers, all the way to the current issue, 18.

4. I love having the binders for the magazines. When you get it, it might be confusing as to how to get the magazines in, but you'll get used to it. The way they fit in assures that they won't fall out and you won't huge rings getting in the way.

The NX-01 is a very nice model! And the Warbird is definitely in my top 5 models so far. They have done a fantastic job with the alien ships.

5. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmmm, that's odd. I'm in the US and my magazines do not have numbers. I've also noticed that pictures online show the number displayed in the upper-left corner of the magazine. I figured the difference was between the UK and the US printings, but apparently not. Not a biggie, but I was curious too.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I think the only one in the US release that wasn't numbered was the DS9, because it was considered a special issue.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd call that perhaps the most lethal ship design ever.

8. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The numbers should be in the top left corner…

9. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I want to give you a heads up on that
    Issue the only way is to fine out this is to look for the persons who put it out in the first place?, if they where new they will not put down it at all

Like I am dealing with what magazine we have in our club

Look for the month? , then year?, volume?, issue? If you fine your self in this you may need to do what I am doing is to put a 0 in one of throes place
    Or they never used it at all as a new magazine was back then you may need to fine the person on line for the puber this is what I have Ben doing from my iPhone.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

English please.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

That makes total sense.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Kendo the barter system of a drown.

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Denis is ashole. Y Charlee hat?

14. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

Right, challenge accepted!

Possible translation:

I've been thinking about the lack of numbers in the corner. The only way to find out which number an issue is, is to check the editorial staff, and publisher info (on page 2).

Because the magazines are well behind the UK, there is no date info on that page.

Same thing happened to the club magazine.

How should we go about trying to catalogue them for the future? By month, followed by year, followed the number (from that month)? E.g 10142 would be Oct 2014, second issue. We will have to add some zeroes, e.g. 01 for Jan and not just 1.

Back in the old days they never actually gave each issue a number. Trying to find these issues online today is hard, and you have to make contact with the seller to clarify which issue it is.

I have been cataloging them using my iPhone (OR I have to ring the seller with iPhone to be sure which issue I am buying.)

15. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Aus subscriber here.

We received Eps 7 & 8 today (Excelsior and K'Tinga) with a message saying that Ep 6 (Voyager) was delayed until next month. Curses!

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

:techman: Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I've heard so many good things about the models in this thread... I'm really glad the subscriptions were finally made available in my country!

Thank you for your responses!

Glad to hear they've done such a good job with the alien ships. For some reason, I find I'm inordinately excited about getting the K't'inga in issue 7!

That's interesting, since the other US respondents all said they have numbers. Just out of curiosity, did you subscribe recently, or have you been a subscriber since the launch? I'm wondering if the initial batch all had numbers, but then they dropped them on reprints?

Yeah, I think Tarheel and I both mentioned that's where we were expecting to see them. :) But they're definitely not there on mine:

[​IMG]

(The little line of text above the "Star Trek" title on the third issue is a line of prices in various regions. You can't see it in the pic, but one of the prices is the US price, so presumably this version is available in the US, as Tarheel's experience would seem to verify. Strangely, though, the Canadian price is not listed...)

I looked there, and I didn't see an issue number, but maybe I overlooked it in all the fine print. I've just been looking up the issue numbers on Memory Alpha. (Thanks for the translation, BTW! :lol:)

I can't help but wonder if this is the reason the issue numbers don't appear on the magazines in some regions: so they can alter the release order due to inventory issues or whatever, without appearing that things are arriving out of the intended order.

17. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got an email today for the shipment of Stargazer and Vor'Cha. Checked the tracking numbers and found that it should be delivered with my mail tomorrow. Can't wait to finish work tomorrow; IT'S STARSHIP DAY!

However, it did not mention my 10th shipment 3-nacelle Enterprise-D as being part of the shipment and that has me concerned. They will get an email from me if the ship, or an explanation as to why it is delayed doesn't come soon as well. I will also ask them what the delay is in regards to the JJprise special getting its release to US subscribers.

18. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I too received an email. It curiously listed the cost for the Stargazer and Vor'Cha as $0.00.

Just checked my other emails. They indicate $0.00 as well.

I of course get billed every month on schedule :D

19. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For those that have magazines without numbers, on the inside back cover, is there a preview of the next issue? If not, what is on the inside back cover?

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The paper invoices that came with the shipments have always reflected the same as well. I think it's just the way they do the billing.