The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ryann866

Ryann866 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I posted this over on TrekMovie and though I'd toss this out here...

All this debate makes me dizzy. With all the brainpower and cash involved in this film don’t you think the audience deserves something ORIGINAL! Is that so much to expect? Retread, reboot, Mitchell, Khan, Garth… been there done that, seen that version, heard that story, please let’s move on…!

What if every episode of TNG has just been some kind of throwback or remake of TOS episode. Heck, if The Naked Now were released today as a movie that cost 200 mil, would everyone be happily, joyously embracing it or would they be demanding more?

I wonder…

2. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think in some ways it's a tribute to the fans to use some of the secondary characters or ships or planets from the series because they are the only ones that will "get it." Whether it's Khan or Mitchell or Garth or someone else I don't think it will be a "remake" anymore than The Dark Knight was a remake of any other Batman story with the Joker. I like the idea of playing with the characters and doing new things with them.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was rooting for Kirk to be a girl but no one listened to me.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I listened. [/pats teacake on the shoulder]

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    To be fair, the new Kirk does have curvaceous and shapely hips. That's....kind of close.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Bring on Jamie Teacake Kirk!

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you are Spock perhaps.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This can be easily explained in a 1 minute 30 second flashback montage sequence with Cumberbatch voice over. Forget the cartoons, and forget that silly "the audience is too stupid" idea.

Cumberbatch's "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" sounds like a justification rather than a challenge to me.

9. Arianna

Arianna Ensign Red Shirt

Thinking about the fly-over scene and the different uniforms. IF it is a funeral or a memorial service it could be for all the deaths on Vulcan.

10. JarodRussell

So the Enterprise first blasts off into the end credits of the first film, and then they return for a memorial service at the beginning of the second film?

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doubtful.
    It has been said that there will be a time gap between the movies.
    Not as long as the real life gap but enough that the crew has already had some adventures together.

12. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who is speaking in this scene is Kirk. I think it is in the end of film. Maybe a memorial Pike death.

13. magarity

magarity Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

14. JarodRussell

That jump crouch thing is more Matrix-y than anything else.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That thought occured to me, too. If it's a memorial for Vulcan, then you'd almost have to expect prominent surviving Vulcans, Spock, Sarek and even Spock Prime seen sitting near the podium. Not just Starfleet brass. That's also why I doubt it's a memorial for Spock. No Spock Prime, Sarek, or other Vulcans around.

I don't think a memorial for Mitchell would garner such a turnout.

16. JarodRussell

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't that necessitate a ridiculous set of contrivances beforehand? Going by how they did it in the first movie...

18. JarodRussell

Ya can bet yer arse, Captin, that this film will contain just as much character idiocy and plot contrivances than the first film.

19. Arianna

Arianna Ensign Red Shirt

Fair enough. But how would OldSpock explain who he was?
    Still hoping it's not Pike's funeral. I thought that actor added a lot to the last film.

I would prefer if BC is a new character instead of rehasing an old tv episode. Nero was new and that movie still did very well.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Even the greatest sci-fi/fantasy films have laughable contrivances in their plots. Even the most iconic four or five star movies aren't immune from the occasional WTF? moment when you actually take the time to analyze them.

Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?

That's not an Achilles heel. That's an Achilles planet.