David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, May 13, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:bolian:

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, no one denies that AI research is advancing. We've just got enough experience to avoid the gullibility of betting everything on the Singularity. If it happens, fine. But don't spend your life waiting for it. That's folly.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Again you misunderstand...

Im not waiting(already said the timeframe could be 2035-2100 and I'd only have an outside chance to experience it), however, there is a large number of people in industry, economics, technology and even politics that are aware of the predictions based on mathematics, as well as the accuracy of predictions, and they are making it a self-fulfilling prediction...they know what milestones to hit, and they are out there investing in it, they are creating education for it (Singularity University), they are using the already existing advancement of technology to spur further growth. This is the sort of action that could make it appear sooner in the prediction rather than latter.

People are certainly claiming AI is not growing on these threads, they still think it's in an AI winter. It's the same but different, don't you know that? :guffaw:

Another current application showing the wide ranging spread of AI:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703834604575365310813948080.html

You always knew it'd be Google:

http://io9.com/5923496

RAMA

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hate to tell you this, but I do understand. I've understood from the beginning and discovered the Singularity theory before even being a member of this board.

We get it. You are in love with the idea. It makes you wet at night. Now can you stop dragging it into every freaking post you make?

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two articles full of generalizations, unsupported declarations and failures to define, much less critically examine the broadest of assumptions?

Speech recognition appears to be the one concrete accomplishment that, for some reason, AI enthusiasts claim as evidence of progress. It's not really that at all.

I guess if one doesn't know anything about software development one might be impressed.

Eh.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Actually this assumption is incorrect, and know that based on an expert, so I'll take his informed opinion over yours any day.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

From David Brin'sFacebook: Science in 2021

[​IMG]

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Because it has implications for themes of this entire forum, from science, to SF, to ST, it is now impossible to separate the events leading to any Singularity from future extrapolation.

In other words, its not about cosplay at the San Diego Comicon and creating retro 50s tv shows anymore folks...its the real deal.

RAMA

9. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Well, until that massive technological breakdown that occurs in 26 years that leaves us all living in a Mad Max style post apocalyptic wasteland fighting for the last remnants of the precious juice. :lol:

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The only downside..I want those haircuts and a car with big spikes on it...sadly frowned upon....:lol:

11. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

LOL! I call dibs on the last of the V8 Interceptors!