Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Actually, I don't think she was any different than in the comic book. She comes in, gives the mission (ie, the exposition) and leaves. Bassett was fine.

My only fear was "the plan" was to use her like Marvel used Fury... to eventually put her in all DCU movies (except Nolan Batman movies.) Obviously, there's been no talk of that, Waller would be a character that COULD do that. I would like to think WB wouldn't do that, just for the sake of not repeating Marvel.

Different strokes for different folks. Most people seem to not like it. You do. There you go. You and Dennis are keeping the Box Office up for Green Lantern.... ;)

2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Waller was going to be the connector too, but GL did a poor job of that, if that was the case, by leaving her fate so ambigious. Plus, it might've worked better to just have her be at the end of the film, after the credits. Also, casting her appearance in a more sinister light might've worked better too.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

What was ambiguous about her fate? Hal rescued her.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me Amanda Waller means "Suicide Squad"

Now as Royally as Smallville fucked that up, I do want to see Hal Jordan get taken down by Captain Boomerang in the first act of the hypothetical next movie.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Are those the giant corks that people use to walk on water?;)

6. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I gave the movie a "C" grade. I thought it was mildly entertaining, but it missed too many beats for me to rate it higher.

I think the characters that were most interesting were Sinestro, Hector Hammond, Kilowog and Abin Sur. Hal Jordan was technically the star character of the movie, but he/Reynolds lacked a magnetism that some of the other characters had with lesser roles in my opinion.

I'll probably check out the sequel, but I hope they knock off the goofball humor and get on with a good story instead.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda sad that those plastic masks look better than the one in the actual movie.

9. DarKush

^
    You're right. Man, I wish I had been at that party. They looked like they had a good time. I wish they had released some of those posters instead of the official ones. Might've gotten more people watching.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

In ended up seeing this, for some odd reason, with a friend. It wasn't as bad as either of us were expecting, but it wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination. The thumbs up moment wasn't quite as outrageous as the internet had led me to expect, but the bit with the asteroid belt being between the Earth and the sun sure made me laugh. Much of the supporting cast was wasted. And Reynolds was only passable in the role.

C+

Oh, and i'm not sure if this movie was post-converted into 3D or not, but even if it wasn't, it was by far one of the worst uses of 3D I've seen.

11. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this with my wife a few days ago. I totally understand why it's getting savaged by critics - its flaws have been well documented in this thread.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why - probably because the reviews had me expecting a bad movie in the first place, and I just kinda approached it as a pulpy unintentionally campy sci-fi superhero flick. Worked for me.

My wife hated it, though.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It does help to have your bar of expectations lowered going in, I've been in that boat before.

This movie is going to be lucky to see $120m, lucky. No way it's getting a sequel. I don't buy it. Warners is better off putting money towards another character for a franchise potential. GL isn't it sadly.

13. davejames

Yeah even with better reviews, I don't think audiences were really ready to embrace this character (or even knew what to make of him). A guy in a glowing green costume, with a magic ring? Who travels to a green videogame world and then has to fight a bunch of smoke??

The studio definitely could have done a better job marketing and explaning all this beforehand.

14. DarKush

I don't remember that. I remember her being thrown against the wall with enough force to kill and falling/sliding down. I didn't see her after that.

15. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ Hal caught her in a water-construct when she fell, and used it to push her out of the room to safety. If I remember correctly, you can hear her groan as she turns her head just before she falls.

16. davejames

Speaking of which, the water thing seemed a bit excessive. Wouldn't it have been easier just to create a net or baseball mit to catch her?

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny story. I was buying liquor the other day and the security guy saw that I was wearing a Green Lantern t-shirt and asked what I thought of the movie. I told him I liked it, and he responded with, "They need to stop making superhero movies comedies".

Now, he was just a regular joe, and I wonder if that is somewhat representative of regular audiences' opinion of the film. I also wonder if that will effect the tone of the sequel, and whether or not it will be darker or more serious as a result.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    You don't buy that BS about a sequel going forward do you? Green Lantern has made in 14 days $96m domestic. In that same time THOR made $130m, a total GL isn't going to come close for it's entire run. Warners said a Superman Returns sequel would happen as well.
    Fool ya once...

Things like this keep me from hoping on things that aren't likely. I didn't hate GL but I just don't buy this sequel nonsense that came out last weekend. Not. Buying. It.

People I've talked to off line that had problems with the movie were story related or pacing issues. A bit of humor is fine and GL didn't really have that much humor despite that first trailer making it look like it did. Maybe that first impression is still with that guy at the liquor store.

19. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

I saw it at a morning showing and paid $6,but will be seeing it again at the bengies drive in theater with friends.
    I liked it very much.
    Yes there is a sequel screenrant has reported that fact not surprising eventhough box office numbers are low for this film.
    The effects are good even for the suits considering they're constructs that the ring creates for each GL.
    That's my opinion.
    Signed
    Buck Rogers
    P.S.: I'm Back

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I'm sorry this film didn't pan out, but hopefully the next will be better. Perhaps with Muppets it would be. [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUcOmgYEhY&feature=player_embedded#at=13[/yt]