nine minutes!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Temis the Vorta, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be interested to know if this was JJ's idea or Paramount's. Wouldn't surprise me if the Star Wars Episode 7-9 announcement factored into this, the nine minutes being a way to recapture some lost thunder for Trek XII. Not to say that they needed to--I think Trek XII will be plenty high-profile when the time comes--but it does strike me as the kind of consideration a studio suit would tend to make, for good or ill.

2. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ A good point. I don't think this was his idea, the same way having a contest where fans get added into the background of STID wasn't his idea either, but the Studio's.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Sheesh. All this quivering with anticipation. It will have spaceships and pretty people in rainbow colors. Nuff said.

4. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly.

If I'm "Joe Star Trek Fan", then I know the film is coming out next May -- and while telling me stuff about the film 6 months before it comes out is good for me, it won't really make a difference in May. I'm seeing it May whether you promoted it in October/November or not.

If I'm "Joe Movie-Goer" then heavily promoting the film now is irrelevant, because I don't care what's coming out 6 months from now -- I only want to know what coming out in the next few weeks. If I see ads a month or two before it comes out (and maybe a super bowl ad to kick the whole thing off -- no pun intended), then that's good enough for me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, the grand new announcement, what everyone wants to see!

Episode VII

STAR WARS VS STAR TREK

I wonder which fanbase that would piss off more? :p

6. Urgent Sky

Urgent Sky Commodore Commodore

No IMAX theaters anywhere near me.

I guess I'll just go to Ain't It Cool News the next day and read someone's half-illiterate description of what they saw. :(

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Perhaps.

However, wasn't it at about this point in the cycle last time around that there was a special press screening at which twenty minutes (four complete scenes) were shown?

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We too are waiting for the actual trailer.

We have two of them but they both suck for different reasons. One, (Regal) has uncomfortable seating & the other, (AMC) charges three bucks extra for flimsy Mylar lens glasses which blur and distort the image.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

That's beautiful!!!

10. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

My head will explode at the level of awesome sauce. 9 minutes of Trek and the Hobbit?

OK.

11. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I paid to see Wing Commander because it had Star Wars Episode I trailer attached lol.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paramount obviously looked at the promotional campaign for the last Batman movie.

I'm going to have to walk two whole blocks from home to catch this in IMAX. :(

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

ME TOO!!

I'd probably throw something.

Seriously though, I'm hoping this 9 minutes is just a space battle. I really don't want to be spoiled and I'm worried a 9 minute chunk won't have that seduce the audience tease quality that a good trailer has.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went to my local theater and just watched the trailer about 5 times without paying for anything for TPM :lol:

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I paid to see "Cloverfield" (and ended up enjoying it) to see the last Star Trek's first teaser trailer at a midnight screening. I paid to see movies I've probably now forgotten to see trailers for STs II-X.

Decades ago, attendees of ShoWest convention saw the "Star Trek II" presentation film (much longer than a typical trailer), narrated by William Shatner, which ended up being the only place where fans and film buffs saw that Saavik was half-Romulan, and that a romantic attraction had been intended between Saavik and David.

16. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If they are attempting to imitate Nolan's Batman movies then the opening of the movie will probably introduce Benedict Cumberbatch's character and/or the Klingons. Batman didn't appear in the opening of either one, so it won't surprise me if we don't see the Enterprise or crew at all either.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The closest IMAX theater for me is 25 miles away. I won't drive there just to see this. Hopefully something will be leaked on line. I wonder if there will be a regular trailer with the Hobbit in plain old regular theaters?

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plain old regular 2D theaters...

[scotty]
    How quaint.
    [/scotty]

19. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I wonder if it will be the first 9 mins from the start of the film maybe a sneak peak of the villain like they did in the dark night !!! I hope so !!!!

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I await the backlash when people hear Cumberbatch's voice.

Two weeks later his voice is dubbed by Patrick Stewart.