Casual Artwork Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TedShatner10, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Thank you all for the encouragement, I really appreciate it. Here is day two working on my Cardinal. Had a few issues with trying to control the paint, especially on the tail. However overall I'm happy with the results so far, still have much to do on it. Hopefully I will finish it next week.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

OK guys/gals, my illustration course at the City of Bath College concludes next week with a presentation, and I've got a wad of work in a folder and 18 A4 sized (mostly) coloured illustrations in a sketchbook, with a couple of final polished works. My final work is supposed to be a book cover for Lewis Carol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

3. Tom Hendricks

I finished my Cardinal, there is a ton of things I would do differently but overall I'm very happy.

[​IMG]

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That's a great-looking cardinal, Tom. Very realistic. That's some nice work you've done!

5. Tom Hendricks

Thanks, I appreciate that... It has been a long time since I painted anything and taking these lessons are great. It allows me to get out of the house and makes me do something creative.

Here is what I'm working on for next class, this is my pencil drawing of some tulips.

[​IMG]

6. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

The day before last Friday I did the second part of a Royal West Art Academy course that involves drawing things outdoors and while I enjoyed it, and produced pleasing work I don't normally do, I found the ridiculous £90 fee extortionate (art supplies can sometimes be ruinously expensive as well).

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Bumped because of a suggestion in the "Threads you'd like to see" topic. Thanks to macloudt for the reminder. :techman:

I look forward to seeing more of your artwork, Miscellaneous. And let's not just restrict it to traditional forms of art like painting and sketching. If you want to post some knitting projects, CG art, typography, creative photoshop work, artistic photography, what have you, that's welcome too.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Render from about 10 years ago. It's early designs from my personal sci-fi universe. This was representing a fighter leaving the launch bay of a space station, only partly visible here. Modeled and rendered in Animation Master, by Hash. One of these days I need to go back and work on it some more, since nothing's as detailed as I would like. Some of the lighting textures were from Unreal Tournament.

9. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

You're welcome, and to get things moving again I'll show off my largest and most complex knitting project to date. It's a wedding shawl for K'Ehleyr, which she had no idea I was making for her and drove me to tears with frustration from time to time. For the first 100 rows or so I had to undo as many rows as I knit thanks to constant errors (mine, not ones in the pattern, which was error-free), but once I got into the rhythm of the pattern went quite well. I'm very proud of it and rather than pack it away after the wedding K'Ehleyr wears it on a regular basis, which I love.

Here's the bride wearing the shawl:

[​IMG]

And here's a close-up of the pattern as the shawl was being blocked (lace knitting looks like a clump of dried Ramen noodles until it's washed and blocked, which, as the photo shows, involves long wires down the sides and a gazillion t-pins). The pattern is a 32-row repeat and the yarn is Fyberspates Gleam, a beautiful lace-weight wool/silk mix which is lovely to knit with.

[​IMG]

I finished this project a year ago, and I'm almost ready to tackle something of the same size and calibre again. ;)

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Thanks for posting these Melakon and macloudt!

Macloudt, that's lovely and such a thoughtful and personal gift. I'm glad that she continues to get so much enjoyment out of wearing it.

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That's a lovely shawl, macloudt! How long did it take you to finish it? And I love seeing the happy bride wearing it!

Melakon, what happened with your story world? Have you thought of continuing your efforts?

I'm not much of an artist, but did some sketches years ago, and I though that I thought I might share one of them:

[​IMG]

I also used to do a lot of time designing graphics for my website and forums. But those are pretty outdated nowadays, methinks.

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Lovely shawl, lovely bride!

14. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Thank you. :) Ancient Mariner, I didn't add up the exact amount of time it took me to knit the shawl (because that would have driven me to drink, and knitting drunk is never, ever a good idea...ask me how I know), but if I remember correctly I gave myself just over two months to knit it. It was finished, blocked and dried a few days before I left for the wedding, so I timed it right without having to pull any all-nighters. As a rule I'm pretty bad with deadlines but I managed this one quite well.

15. Greylock Crescent

^ That's exactly what I was thinking about ... I'm terrible with deadlines and, with a rather definitive wedding date looming, I would have been a mess to get it done. :lol:

Congrats, though, it turned out really well (and is now a fantastic, beautiful, useful keepsake).

16. think

think About it! Premium Member

fractal from a fractal series I was making in 2009 :) fractal art is really easy but ,,, mmm I guess there has to be an amount of math behind it... :)

[​IMG]

17. Tom Hendricks

I just started up my watercolor classes again at the Y, here is my first one since coming back.

[​IMG]

18. Greylock Crescent

Very nice ... I especially like the subtle textures and colors in the sky.

19. Tom Hendricks

I used Paper Towel to get the texture in the sky. Then I used Plastic Wrap in the water to get that texture.

20. Greylock Crescent

Oh yeah! I see that texture in the water now. Very cool!

Do you find yourself gravitating to any particular style or approach yet? Or are you still just exploring the possibilities?