Prime Directive violation? [Spoilers?]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Dec 16, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I was able to watch a copy of the IMAX trailer for Into Darkness, and I don't know if this has been brought up, but in the trailer from what I could gather, the crew of the Enterprise goes to a world to try and prevent a volcano from erupting and there by killing the inhabitants of this planet. Now I'm sure most of us would agree that this would be a good thing for the federation to do, but isn't that against the prime directive? It brings to mind the quote by Picard in Insurrection saying "Who the hell are we to decide the next course of evolution for these people?" I'm sure there's more to this movie that we just don't know yet, but is this considered a violation of the prime directive?

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Re: Prime Directive violation?

You are very perceptive.
    They just kept talking about the PD in those few minutes.

3. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and it's a better interpretation of the Prime Directive than the tiresome (and IMHO offensive) interpretations of the PD that we saw in TNG from time and time.

4. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What evolution is there when the whole species is dead?
    I never liked the TNG version of the prime directive, it made the Federation to be a bunch of assholes.
    Also, the TOS version of the prime directive was far more sane: Limited to giving the natives technology or making changes to their culture (which Kirk did anyway...). The preview seems to be more inline with the TOS version.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

No.

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It depends what the PD says in this universe and in the 23rd century. By Picard's time it could have been revised.

We know that Kirk gets in some kind of trouble with Pike which could be because of a PD violation.
    So either Kirk is there without Starfleet knowing about it, which I doubt or they do know about it but are mad because he does something to reveal himself to the natives (making the Enterprise visible to save Spock perhaps?)

I guess we'll have to wait and see. But it's not like the PD has stopped our heroes from doing what they feel is right before.

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And like any directive, law, etc, things can be amended over time.

8. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

Well considering I didn't get a chance to see the whole thing and there was no sound to the one that I saw, I think it's a decent question to ask, but hey, it's okay. You didn't know. Ignorance is bliss. But I thank you for your help nevertheless.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

So ethical values and common reason within UFP actually DETERIORATE over time? Not buying it.

Like EyalM said, how do you interfere with the species' development if you let it get wiped out? Only thing that you accomplish with that is making sure there WAS NO development. "Pen pals" as a whole was a one, big, very serious logical fallacy, just like "Dear Doctor", perhaps even worse.

Writers of nuTrek cannot be bound by the sheer idiocy of people who wrote nonsensical bullshit before them, even if it was "canon".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is how they did Prime Directive stuff in The Original Series. It was The Next Generation that came up with that "we must let them die" garbage ("Pen Pals" etc), and as Janeway said in "Flashback", they'd all be kicked out of 24th century Starfleet.

11. SalvorHardin

Well, it does seem to be what happened in the prime universe, going from the TOS to the TNG era...stupid as it may be.

Personally, I agree with you and how it was handled in TOS and apparently now in STID.

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...What we see in these first nine minutes is more or less a perfect match for what Kirk attempted to do in "Paradise Syndrome" (save natives from asteroid impact without telling them), down to it being left to Spock to pull off the actual rescue. Picard in "Pen Pals" also seemed to cave in fairly easily to performing a very similar secret rescue, despite agonizing over the Prime Directive earlier - thus perhaps suggesting that the 24th century PD actually is okay with such things?

One also wonders about "The Most Toys", where our heroes save a "colony" of some sort by launching a probe full of helpful but highly volatile stuff. Did they do that harebrained stunt because they couldn't expose themselves to the natives by delivering the dangerous material more gently? Later on, they check out the results, but possibly covertly as no natives take part in the checking; there is also a complete onscreen lack of communications with this "colony". Ye olde type of PD in action?

Timo Saloniemi

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone else suddenly really want to know what happened to Nibiru Prime? 2259 is still 5 years before Kirk took command of the original Enterprise (2264, according to the timeline in Voyages of Imagination, and the novel Enterprise: The First Adventure by Vonda McIntyre). It would have been during Pike's tenure as Captain.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The TNG interpretation of the Prime Directive was seriously flawed.

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Supposedly, nuKirk saves a community from a volcanic eruption. I can't see why that would be necessary, because the community appears to possess clothing, weaponry and even some sort of holy scrolls. It's not just an isolated bunch, then, but part of a larger whole that has certainly had enough time to proliferate across the planet. Stopping one volcano from offing one village doesn't sound like a worthwhile effort by any standard; had Pike opted not to do it, Nibiru history might be different (since they were already into their historical era, apparently!), but not drastically so. NuKirk would need clairvoyance to decide that this particular community warranted saving...

OTOH, if all that was left of the Nibiru was located within the kill zone of the volcano, efforts to save them appear fairly pointless.

Timo Saloniemi

16. SalvorHardin

So, if their number is small or they have managed to proliferate across the planet and one village won't be missed, Kirk should just tell them to go f' themselves and die because they are not worth the effort?

As for the volcano, it depends what kind of volcano it is and in what kind of geologic period the planet is.
    It could be powerful enough to wipe their civilization out with tsunamis, volcanic winter etc

17. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

Has anyone considered that in the light of the events of the first film, the Federation may have decided to reinterpret the Prime Directive to a less 'hands-off' approach, with regards to natural disasters?

I know it doesn't fit 100%, but you can imagine that fallout from the Romulan/Vulcan incident led to a lot of panicking in the Federation Council, who decided to help out planets/polites with natural disasters rather than ignore them, lest they have any more of their own worlds blown up by annoyed people...

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What we see in the nine minutes actually matches up with the TOS version of the Prime Directive. So there's really no need to try to explain it.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well considering the teaser has the Enterprise rising out of water and Spock is in the parts of the movie dealing with the bad guy I think we can make a guess at what Kirk does that annoys Pike.

20. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain