"The Tourist" trailer (Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Trailer on Yahoo! Movies (with HD option available)

Also starring Paul Bettany, Rufus Sewell and Timothy Dalton.

Was originally going to star Tom Cruise and Charlize Theron at one point.

Maybe the movie will be good (it's a remake of a 2005 French film, by the way), but the trailer looks very very very dull, lifeless and generic. :(

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Meh. I'll see how the reviews come out.

3. omgahitsbritt08

omgahitsbritt08 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, the trailer doesn't seem to jump out to me. It does seem alittle lifeless. But, I will probably watch it at least once because it has both Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. Isn't this their first film together?

4. Aragorn

Here's a new, shorter trailer that tries to make it more witty and action-packed than the lifeless original trailer:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP_wxgFlYxg[/yt]

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That 2nd trailer looks great, and shows why cutting trailers together is an art, because the first theatrical trailer is just plain terrible and is definitely flat. They just tried to shoehorn too much into it, telling too much of the story figuring if the audience doesn't know exactly what the movie is about, they won't go.

But they have to have more faith in audiences. The stars, the wit, the great looking footage, and even the great, vintage logo and title design is fantastic. You don't have to cram every plot point into a trailer.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ Definitely. A little mystery is tantalizing. Telling me the entire plot of a film in a 30 second spot is just annoying. If I know the whole story already, why bother seeing it?

The cast on this looks good---but I'll wait and see.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I see Timothy Dalton listed in the credits, but haven't seen him in the trailers. Does he just have a small part?

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The second trailer, despite being a improvement over the dismal first one, still didn't wow me or anything. It's a great cast and Depp usually makes pretty good choices in films, so it will probably be fun, but this one I'm on the fence about and will wait to see what the critical response and word of mouth is.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Jolie's movies seem to only run hot & cold. Either she's great fun (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Tomb Raider) or the whole thing seems cripplingly dull (Beyond Borders, Changeling, The Good Shepherd).

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed on the 2nd trailer being much more effective at selling the movie. I'm likely to check this out given the time over the lull in my work schedule in December.

11. Captain Craig

I finally saw this a few days ago. Glad I did.

My grade: B

Angelina's character, Elisa, is playing a passive-agressive character. I think so many are use to her as the main point of action from her turns in Mr/Mrs.Smith, Tomb Raider or Salt that her as the 'damsel' seems "boring".

Johnny Depp is playing, Frank, a man used to the more mundane but romaticizes about action and adventure. This strange woman Elisa has put him in the thick of something and he goes along. Therefore there is a sense of awkardness about his character. He is obviously taken by Elisa but he is trying to be a polite gentleman all at the same time. I think this is what the critics called 'zero chemistry' however I'd have to spoil the movie for you in order to tell you why it seems they played their parts the way they did.

The cinematography made great use of the countryside and Venice. About the only thing I see the critics got right were statements that commented on the camera lingering on Jolie. It did linger at times but as I saw it those were for slight facial expressions of curiosity, admiration or danger.

The pacing is indeed slow I won't argue that but it is moving with purpose which is different than moving slow and going seemingly nowhere. To put it differently I didn't feel the movie drug on for periods without moving the story along.

The movie just got nominated for 3 Golden Globes. Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Picture. Not that I think it'll win for either of those nods it is indeed a good picture. Not worthy of the scads of bad ink it has received.

For those who care about compiled critics ratings like RottenTomatoes consider this. It's critic score is 20% and its RTCommunity score is 78%. How about for once considering what 'Joe Public' is saying and try this movie out. That is such a stark contrast. People seem to like it, at least once, maybe not a best picture but an enjoyable one.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I decided to maybe check this out on DVD.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to check it out on DVD just because I want to know how funny of a movie it is. Up for best comedy, got to be funny right!?

14. Captain Craig

I think you got your wires crossed.
    The Golden Globes nominated it for Best Picture.
    Johnny Depp got 2 nods one for this in a drama then one for Alice in Wonderland a comedy. Maybe that is where your confused?

15. bigdaddy

Wow my joke went right over your head.

The Golden Globes do NOT do best movie like the Oscars, they do best drama and best musical / comedy.

People have made fun of the fact that the best comedy / musical nominations are funnier than any of the movies.

http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/2010/12/the-68th-annual-golden-globe-awards-nominations/

16. Captain Craig

It's just stupid nomenclature by the GG people.
    Obviously it's not a comedy OR a musical.

But it is worth seeing.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The previews have all looked really lame, and I don't enjoy Johnny Depp as much as other people seem to, so I really have no desire to see this.

18. Aragorn

Didn't everyone laugh AT the Golden Globes during the nomination announcements when they named The Tourist?

19. bigdaddy

I thought so, but I guess not everyone got the joke.