DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

+1. I'm tired of the need for a strict continuity. I just look at each book as that team's take on a character. I'm not confused between books and feel no need for resolution. At least for the differences in WW's solo book and JL. Now if she lost an arm, maybe. Maybe not.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

^When I first started reading comics most of the books were written that way. Even books like Superman and Action ignored each other. One could have Superman trapped in the past while the other could feature Superman on his deathbed from Kryptonite poisoning.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they haven't said so, but considering the way Carrie Kelly is being used in the book, I wouldn't be surprised if she became a titular character by the end of the year.

I'm still not clear why she's named Carrie Kelly. She has nothing in common with the character in The Dark Knight Returns except for red hair. Otherwise, she reminds me of Stephanie Brown. (And I've heard that some fans believe that Carrie's unnamed roomie is Steph.)

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, me too. I agree with you, but the problem comes from the editorial decision to run crossover events and try to maintain continuity between books--something which often leads to errors.

I remember that in Marvel a few years back, several X-Men stories were obviously taking place at the same time in continuity. The problem was that Wolverine was appearing in three or four of these books so either he adapted Multiplicity powers or there was a serious mistake.

Batman Incorporated should just have been published as a story outside of the new 52. Wonder Woman should be doing the same thing. No one is going to complain if the editors just make this decision and state it--in fact people might pick up those books just because they are stand alone adventures.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except that Batman Incorporated did take place in the 52'Verse and Morrison practically handed the torch to Snyder in his final issue. Lobdell has been using Orion in "Superman" as well. That article was amusing...sounds like there is still significant creative/editorial disagreement going on. I have really enjoyed what Azzy is doing with Orion and Diana. They seemed to have developed a natural chemistry right away thanks to Azzy's writing. DC should have just did this instead of forcing apart Lois and Clark, and forcing together Diana and Clark. Also it appears that Lobdell has been having fun with Clark/Cat Grant as well.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a letter in one of the Superman titles of the late 1960s which went something like:

The editor's reply?

:rofl:

7. theenglish

Well I am two months behind because I read digital, but my point was not what is happening but what should have happened.

Besides I do believe that there have been inconsistencies. In the 900 in Detective for example, Batman is surprised that Langstrom is the creator of the virus, yet Langstrom's name was specifically mentioned in Batman Inc. Now I could be remembering that incorrectly so I will try and go back and take a look.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually usually hate when books don't have continuity in main universe when its supposed to, but with the New 52 its a good thing for good books to ignore the really stupid stuff done by the bad writers. In general, though, I'm a supporter of continuity. WW just happens to be an exception because of how bad JL is.

9. JoeZhang

I'm firmly in the 'fuck continuity and the horse it rode in on' camp.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt a full grown horse would notice my penis.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Continuity in comics tends to be a losing battle. I agree with keeping some consistency but there's no reason to be a slave to it if stories start being constricted.

12. Admiral_Young

Last week's books:

I read both the Superman and Batman annuals and thought they were both good. Batman was really good of course. I am really enjoying Zero Year even more than I was expecting to. The World of Krypton back up arc through "Superman" and "Action Comics" has been one of my favourite things out of the 52'Verse so far. I'm a sucker for anything Krypton orientated so I've been enjoying the hell out of this.

13. JoeZhang

14. theenglish

This is too bad. I was looking forward to this. From the earlier information I really liked the part that stated once we thought we knew who they were, we wouldn't.

I guess we're getting the clone scenario after all?

Whether or which, I am going to wait to see the reception of the book before purchasing.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda mirrors what happened to Michael Lark at the hands of the previous head Editor at DC.

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC Editorial is just a freaking train wreck.

17. theenglish

Right. How many times was the Trinity War changed? I would love some day to find out what the original plan for that was.

Nothing though compares to the mess of Countdown to Final Crisis and Final Crisis...how the hell do those two stories even exist in the same continuity </Reference back to earlier continuity conversation>?

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Swamp Thing #23: Very curious about this Seeder character. A character with the ability to affect John Constantine like he has and lay back has me intrigued. I'm thinking Seeder is a new character, yes? Wasn't sure if he might be a decades old minor insignificant character given a makeover. And now he's prepping for a full head on with Swamp Thing.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^Probably the best book this week.

This goes to back the whole lack of communications problem at DC and how each editor essentially sees their books as their personal property and refuses to tell their fellow editors anything. DC use to be able get away with this since DC had good to decent editors. Now that isn't true...

20. Admiral_Young

I just read the Maguire story. Wow. I was looking forward to that book and it's concept.