Cardassian ships: those I am attracted to. Mechanical eye-candy.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Aquehonga, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Its weird. I had, still have, a TV remote control that looks exactly like a Cardassian spaceship (IMO). :cool:

I've always liked Cardassian starcraft. They have an elegant beauty, like that TV remote.

I only keep that remote around due to it's very strong resemblance to Galor Class ships (IMO).

Same shape & color. To me anyway.

The TV it was for went out in the trash over 3 years ago.

Fed ship garages/starbases I like.

Fed ships ( exceptions being Defiant, Reliant, Bozeman, Promethius & V'GER ) I've always found ugly-ish, frustrating. IE: NX-01, 1701, 1701-A, B, C, D, the NX/NCC-2000 entc ent al.

:cardie: space stations are Mary Jane Plainfaces.

:cardie: ships belong in Playboy.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cardassian ships look like fish. Seriously.

But I do like their design.

I don't like how they got one ship class (not counting Keldon, which apparently was just a Galor mounted with a big-ass cloaking device, or the Hideki) for ten years' worth of appearances.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Galor-Class is pimp. The space ankh with little pyramids for phasers and a stinger on its tail. Great stuff.

4. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually think that fits their backstory, though. They don't have a lot of resources, so it makes sense for them to stick to a few tried-and-true designs rather than do a whole lot of retooling for a crazy variety of ship classes.

And on the design of the Galor--I love it. It reminds me of a manta ray...very elegant and deadly.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a fan of the canon Cardassian vessels. Though I've seen some much nicer non-canon designs and fan designed Cardassian vessels.

We've had the Romulans and Klingons for 40 years and we have around 5 for the Romulans and maybe 8 for the Klingons. Non-Fed races don't get much starship love. I would have liked to see more variety in the space forces of these bigger powers.

7. Myasishchev

Well, I do agree with this. At the same time I would've liked the Keldons to have been more differentiated from the Galors--or at least seen again! But maybe they were failures. Their only combat excursion ended with the loss of every ship, true, but I don't think we can blame that on the design...

See! It looks like a fish! :D

Agreed.

8. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

I would love to see a picture of your remote control. :techman:

9. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the blame for that one lies with Tain's arrogance.

But the fact that the Keldon wasn't that differentiated may be further evidence of the point that I was making--that any kind of significant retooling puts a strain on Cardassian resources. I don't think it's their creativity that's the problem--their tactics and maneuvers are always top-notch...it's the physical resources to actually bring their ideas to fruition.

And did no one see ANY Keldons during any other battle? I keep thinking there were some there, for some reason...

Me too!

10. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

The Cardassian Galor and Federation Galaxy are probably my two favorite Star Trek ship designs.

11. Myasishchev

I go to the authority on these matters ;) :

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/cardassian_ships.htm

12. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    I see the Keldon class as a separate Cardassian Battleship built to match the Galaxy Class and the Neg'vars. The Keldon was tough enough to withstand a prolonged attack from the USS Defiant so I don't see them as failures.
    Why they did not appear later on? Either they where too expensive to build or we just didn't see them in any of the on screen battles.

The problem I have with the Cardassian fleet is that in large scale battles we see dozens if not hundreds of Galors just sitting in space looking pretty waiting for the Bloody Klingons to blow them up:rolleyes:. I almost take that as a personal insult every time I see that battle scene in SOA:mad:.

My personal favorite Cardie ships can be seen in the trek Games Amada 2 and Dominion wars, in particular the Huet(DWS) and the Kulinor(A2).

Pics below;

The Kulinor: http://gaming.trekcore.com/armada2/shipsandstations/cardkulinor.jpg

And the Huet: http://gaming.trekcore.com/dominionwars/ships/cclass5.jpg

13. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    The one thing I always liked about the Cardassian ships is that their hulls are golden, not grey, green, white, or silver. I always wished the Federation's ships were golden. I remember many years ago buying a book about early fanfic and the Enterprise on the cover was all in gold, and it looked way cool. -- RR

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I always found them interesting myself, and always wanted to see a full-on Cardassian dreadnought akin to the Kulinor and Huet linked above. Keldon made sense, but was a bit boring.

15. Myasishchev

Good God, the Huet's a little much if those are Galors in the foreground. Thing must be ten kilometers long. And four tall.

16. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    The size is a bit much if so, yes. But the design is a nice expansion on the Galor aesthetic.

17. Myasishchev

It looks like an angler fish hunting Dominion battleships.

But I do not dislike it. Scale it down a bit, and it works in the context of Card design.

18. Jono

The Hutet is only 1.6km long, so think Imperial Star Destroyer in terms of length.

19. Myasishchev

^I was only off by an order of magnitude.:p

So the little ship directly in front of it is not a Galor, right?

20. Jono

The ships on the bottom right and left are Galors but the two ships up towards the middle of the image are not. They are Norin class ships, which were also created specifically for the game. They are around the 280 m mark.

The image isn't done strictly to scale but to instead convey that the Hutet is a large and powerful warship.