May Opening

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bismarck_1892, Mar 9, 2009.

1. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

May is going to be a busy movie month.

A lot of competition is coming out that month. Big blockbusters. Can Trek stand out, or is it a mistake on the part of the studio to release it in May?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no meaningful answer to this question coming any sooner than May 17th.

3. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

Well, one can speculate, right?

I think a summer opening is in fact more appropriate for Star Trek than the holiday season. After all, we did see with Nemesis where that will lead. Quality (or lack thereof) of that film aside, it did face a Lord of the Rings, a Harry Potter and a James Bond, if I'm not mistaken. Too many choices for folks itching for an action-packed fantasy.

This year, I think Star Trek is the first of the major blockbusters to come out, before Terminator 4. That's good. Besides, I get the feeling that Trek has a little more buzz right now than the others. Or am I imagining that? Ultimately however, I think what's needed is good reviews, good word of mouth and a massive marketing campaign. You know, if you make sure EVERYBODY knows your film is out, a certain percentage of those will actually go and see it.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

About what? In a vacuum of information, no guess is more meaningful than any other.

My answer: Ditka beats Trek.

5. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your worries are valid

Thats why, in two weeks, it'll be announced the movie's release date is being moved up to October.

DON'T complain.

It's only an extra five months.

:p

6. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

But couldn't the increased amount of major block-busters not also be a good thing? How many people, especially those with jobs, families or other commitments have the necessary amount of time to find out what movies will be coming out and when. Personally, I really only know about Star Trek XI because I'm quite a dedicated fan. However, I could not name a single additional movie coming out this year.

The fact that there are many big movies coming out in the summer means that these people might hear about one of these and want to see it. When they come to the cinema they will get to see all the promotion for Trek XI and maybe decide to see that as well at some other point. This has happened to me quite a few times from seeing promotion at the cinema (trailer or posters). I would never go to the cinema at random and just watch any film. I don't know how unusual this cinema attendance behaviour of mine is but some of my friends certainly go about it in a similar way as I do.

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember that my brother used to go to the AMC 24 on Saturday morning and come out in the evening :p

8. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Yes, big mistake. This is what I noticed when I saw all the trailers before "Watchmen". "Terminator" and "Wolverine" (coming from franchises that are not in quite as bad shape as "Star Trek" in 2009) are going to kick its ass. :devil: Maybe. :cool:

9. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But didn't he work there? :lol:

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

no, and that was the beauty of it :lol:

11. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

Honestly, I'm in no hurry. Just hope its good, and makes good money.

12. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

WOW! do you have a ''vacuum'' work enviroment? or are you just really busy all the time?:wtf: I could name every summer movie coming out this summer, about ''this''time last year!:lol: And for anybody that 'still' dosen't know the big hiters coming to a THEATER near you! Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, G.I.JOE! The rise of COBRRAAAALALA, Wolverine:Origins,:rolleyes:( wow who didn't see THIS one coming?) I could go on, But those are the only ''REAL'' movies that Trek has to worry about.

13. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

^ You assume here that all of us actually care about those movies.

But not all of us do. The only movies I'm planning to see anytime soon are Star Trek and Angels & Demons. I adore Hugh Jackman and I actually quite liked X-Men. But Wolverine looks so ridiculously stupid that not even Hugh Jackman could get me into that theatre.

And Transformers? Totally a 20-something guy movie. :p I might just care about that one even LESS than I care about Wolverine, because at least Wolverine DOES have Hugh Jackman going for it. :lol:

14. miraclefan

I'm sorry to give you the false impression that I care for the above mentiond movies^ I only know what's coming out, because when I am not doing any thing important I will sometimes watch ''REELZ CHANNEL'' (DISH TV chn 299)and so I catch whats coming up! Belive it or not, but I haven't even seen TRANSFORMERS yet! and I'm in no rush too!:lol: And I'm a 20-something guy! The only movie I am going to drag myself to see is STAR TREK, that's it!

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the imax in our town has already announced that aliens and monsters, star trek and harry potter are their spring and summer films.

they usually go with the ones that they think will have the most demand.

16. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I said in another thread, a movie does NOT need to be #1 for consecutive weeks a still make a LOT of money. Two years ago, Transformers was only #1 for a SINGLE week (the week it opened) and was shut out of the #1 spot afterwards by Harry Potter, The Simpons Movie and Bourne Ultimatum. Transformers made a lot of money because of a big opening week, AND the fact that it stuck around in theaters for two months.

Transformers still managed to do very well, even though it was #1 for only one week.

17. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

I would guess that the executives at Paramount are counting on a pretty big opening weekend for Star Trek though. Money can be made over the course of a films release (Just look at Slumdog Millionaire) but I think one of the reasons why Trek was moved to may was because they wanted to get the benefit of a front loaded big weekend. The competition is always stiff for movies going into May, but I think they are hoping for a big opening weekend.....Its possible.....I was shocked when Iron Man did as well as it did. Indiana Jones SUCKED but it still made over 300 million dollars. If trek doesn't have a legit first weekend it WILL get burried. Hope that does not happen.

18. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I will do my part and see it three times.

19. miraclefan

Me too!:techman: But ''ONLY'' if it's GOOD!:shifty: