Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As a kid, I liked it quite a lot. What impressed me at the time was that, unlike the other CBS Marvel adaptations, which tended to squeeze larger-than-life characters like the Hulk and Spider-Man into relatively mundane plots, the DR. STRANGE tv-movie embraced the more fantastic elements of the comics: demons, astral transport, spells, strange dimensions, etc.

Okay, it also felt obliged to squeeze in some hospital drama, presumably to make it more accessible to mainstream TV audiences, but at least Dr. Strange wasn't using his powers to defeat crooked politicians and businessmen and such. He was taking on extradimensional demons and witches!

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't remember anything!

My Living Doll...

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone remember these? :lol:

You can, it's a cool series in its own way.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh yeah, that was the other massive failure of research I wanted to comment on in that Pioneers of Television special. With regard to The Incredible Hulk, they said that Bixby fought to keep it faithful to the comic by avoiding sci-fi plots like fighting aliens and monsters. Obviously whoever wrote that never read a Hulk comic in their lives. TIH was one of the least faithful comics adaptations ever seen on TV (surpassed only by the recent Human Target, I'd say), and indeed showrunner Kenneth Johnson deliberately tried to keep it as far from its comics origins as possible. He didn't even want the Hulk to be green, preferring a color more associated with anger, but Stan Lee insisted, because whoever heard of a red Hulk, am I right? ;)

To be fair to the '70s Spidey series, while it never used supervillains, its plots were sometimes pretty far from the mundane. Hammond's Spidey dealt with a nuclear bomb, a telekinetic cult leader, an alleged haunting (I forget whether it turned out to be fake or not), a mind-control gas... and even an evil clone, just three years after the original Spider-clone story in the comics.

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

In its own way -really? - In the same sort of way Star Trek is a cool series I'd say: Raumpatrouille handled the issues of the day (be those women's rights, doomsday-weapons, multicultural crews or large administrative organisations [the very first episode sees the protagonist ship, the Orion, being demoted to 'Space Patrol' due to insubordination :eek: - Kirk wouldn't have lasted five seconds in that real an organisation :rommie: ]

6. Mr. Adventure

^^ I guess I was hedging my bets a bit that it might not appeal to everyone. It has a mod/swinging/retro vibe that some people dig and some can only see as cheese.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I saw that Voyager thing once.... terrible show.;)

8. trekkiedane

I just thought your choice of words was a bit lacking [​IMG]

And may I, just for the record, ejaculate:

[​IMG]

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Other short-lived horror anthology series: The Dark Room, Ghost Story, and Circle of Fear.

And anybody else remember The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins? As I recall, he played a parapsychologist who investigated strange events.

(No relation to the much later Bruce Willis movie.)

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I vaguely remember it. It spun off from a Night Gallery episode, I think.

11. Mr. Adventure

Now that I think about it I'd probably say the same of TOS if I hadn't grown up with it.

12. trekkiedane

Might just be the ol' north-Atlantic divide then :p

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! That was my first thought upon seeing this thread. I was 9 years old when it came on. I enjoyed it, for the short time it lasted.

Unless I missed it, no one's mentioned The Highwayman, which was set "in the near future." The pilot co-starred a pre-Babylon 5 Claudia Christian and a pre-Voyager Tim Russ was in the series.

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup. I was going to mention it, but was trying to remember some other obscure horror anthologies.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Captain Nice.
    Mister Terrific.

Comedies, both tried to capitalize on the Batman craze and failed.

At least Captain Nice starred William Daniels. Mister Terrific had some guy I never heard of before or after, Stephen Strimpell. But it did have Dick Gautier (Hymie the Robot from Get Smart!)

And I think the original Chips Ahoy Cookies commercial mascot was some fat costumed oaf named Cookieman. Our high school assistant gym coach was Mr. Cookson, equally fat, so he got called Cookieman behind his back. Though one time he heard it, and we never before saw him move that fast after the kid.

18. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, God, I had forgotten all about Fantastic Journey. I watched it religiously when it aired as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwXtFFZ4mo8

Did anybody mention Gemini Man, yet? He had a watch that turned him invisible for a brief time. I loved that, too, for the short time it was on TV.

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Project UFO - A lot of people I talk to remember the show but say they never watched it. I know everyone like to talk about Kolchak from Night Stalker being the precursor to the X-Files, to me it's Project UFO. For years watching X-Files I always wished that they would have had the actors from this show reprise their characters on the X-Files. I so loved this show as a kid, still remember most of the shows.

20. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched an ep of Alfred Hitchcock Presents just now, and never would have known who Skip Homeier (by name) was but for your avatar.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013