DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, so I was able to get a hold of the rest of the Grant Morrison run of Action Comics. I get what he was doing, but at the same time feeling underwhelmed. Maybe it was how it ended. Didn't seem nearly as epic as I think they felt it was. Right now I'm debating whether to work through the H'el on Earth event (and whether or not to get all the super titles or stick with Superman for the highlights) or switch to Superman Unchained for my Superman fix. Sticking with Superman is cheaper, but Unchained seems to be better reviewed.

Also picked up the first arc in Batman, the first couple Justice League collected volumes, and am waiting for a sale to get into Aquaman. I think that's more than enough money for one month, so I don't see me adding another series aside from possibly trading Supes titles.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

We still need Blue Lantern and Star Sapphire titles.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw Star Sapphire once at a mall.

It was a pantomime show for the kiddies.

Justice League vs. the League of Doom.

Could not take my eyes off her.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just stopped reading the GL books last month, it had just gotten so bad overall. The "light reserve" is just like the stupid Warp 5 speed limit in TNG, a stupid plot point/"limitation" that was just annoying and unneeded. Plus, Johns leaving lead to a downturn in overall quality anyway (and its weird to say that about him nowadays, but I read his whole GL run and enjoyed it, I even really enjoyed Blackest Night).

I'm reading a few New 52 comics. Wonder Woman is good, one of the only good New 52 books. Its not post COIE or Gail Simone WW good, but its still a very good book. Aquaman is ok. It doesn't approach what I've read of Peter David's run, but outside of the story arc about Aquaman's team of very lame heroes, its been a good read.

Swamp Thing, written by Charles Soule, is really good, too. I stopped reading it about 3 issues into Snyder's run, but decided to try it again when Soule took over. His run is A LOT better than Snyder's. I've never read any of Alan Moore's run, or much with Swamp Thing, but I'll definately keep reading this until Soule is done writing/gets kicked off by stupid DC management.

I've read a few issues of the Superman/Wonder Woman book, mostly because Charles Soule is writing it and he's a writer I'm starting to follow. I still dislike the relationship, but Soule is doing a good job with the book. I didn't like the references to Azarello's WW book in the last issue, though. Azzarello's book almost goes out of its way to ignore basically the rest of the New 52, including the Superman/WW relationship. I kind of wish the New 52 in general would do the same. Its not like the WW in Justice League or even Superman/WW is anything like Azarello's WW anyway.

I am currently reading no Bat-books. I dropped Batwoman after DidDio/DC Management decided that no bat family members can be happy (because if they don't have a bad personal life exactly like batman, apparently they won't work, right DiDio/DC management :rolleyes: ) and kicked the real writers off the book. I have no desire to read whatever stupid stuff the replacement comes up with. I'm not reading any Batman because I HATE scott Snyder, and quit reading his Batman after Court of Owls came along as the worst Batman story I'd ever read. I might check out Detective Comics, which is apparently getting a new creative team soon. It would be nice to read some Batman again.

Earth 2 is ok. Its very, very inferior to the JSA books from before the New 52, but its better than a good chunk of the New 52. World's Finest gets read because I liked the old version of Power Girl and Huntress. Its not a horrible book by any means, but Paul Levitz has proved he can't really write Huntress or PG anymore, even though he helped create Huntress and wrote a good amount of the 1970's All Star Comics run with PG, Huntress and the JSA.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

GL books are basically being written by editorial now.

7. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Be fair. Nearly everything is.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I've thought Green Lantern has been fairly strong since Johns left. The concept of the emotional spectrum being a finite resource has turned the titles on their heads. Now, the Corps has had the entire universe turned against them. This is great stuff. Red Lanterns in particular had really turned around. It was a pretty lame book before, but now it's one of the most fun DC is publishing right now.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The "Lights Out" crossover was moderately entertaining, but everything else has been pretty uninteresting. I might drop GLC and GL:NG but stick with GL...

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading Action Comics #26 and Batman/Superman #7. So happy that Greg Pak is writing both of these. He's doing fantastic work getting inside of Clark's head and making him feel human and relatable, while still showing that alien/superhero side of him. I also love 52'Verse Lana Lang. I like 52'Verse Hiro/Toyman as well, and while I was less enamored of the video game meta story with Mongul, it was an interesting way of introducing the villain.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Pak-Action Comics has been better than average so far, but this video game storyline in Bat/Supes was just dumb.

12. Admiral_Young

It was underwhelming I agree, but really was set up to introduce 52'Verse Hiro.

13. Hound of UIster

Green Arrow, Batman, Superman Unchained, Action Comics, Animal Man/Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman and Justice League/JLA are probably not handled by editorial.

It's very apparent with the Lantern titles.

14. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You forgot The Movement.

15. Admiral_Young

I meant to post this yesterday but forgot, but apparently we're about to get a whole slew of new books and cancellations announced. Secret Origins seems to be confirmed.

Also the link the other reported books (from the same person who did the previous list a few months back if you all remember, he got a lot wrong, but most of them happened).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/12/secret-origins-the-new-ongoing-from-dc-comics/

Also the poster states these aren't starting in April as Bleeding Cool originally reported, but slated for June. I wonder if the new "Superman" creative team will be the long rumoured John Jr/mystery writer announcement?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01...hers-and-others-from-dc-comics-on-april-2014/

16. Hound of UIster

Is "mystery writer" Mark Millar?

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Aquaman and The Others would be cool if Johns were writing it, but the most disappointing thing about the new 52 is how we now have basically mainstream characters headlining the series and the majority of the innovative concepts have been abandoned.

18. Admiral_Young

@HoundofUISter...it very well could be. Bleeding Cool ran a story last week where they quoted from Millar whom hinted he very well might be making a "special case". If this actually does happen...it could be huge.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I jumped on board with characters and concepts I never tried before only to be rewarded with cancellations.

That I read a year+ of and now cancelled:
    Resurrection Man
    I, Vampire
    Frankenstein Agent of Shade
    Demon Knights
    Sword of Amethyst(ok 8 issues)
    Captain Atom
    Mister Terrific

I'm back to just reading most DC in TPB again with exception of Swamp Thing, Aquaman and JLD

It seems Marvels new wave of All-New Marvel Now is picking up the attempt at characters who've been overlooked a chance for awhile.
    Black Widow
    Iron Patriot
    Elektra
    Moon Knight
    Ghost Rider(4th one, new character)
    Invaders
    She-Hulk(green)
    New Warriors
    Iron Fist
    Silver Surfer
    Ms.Marvel(2nd one, new character not Danvers)

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd read a Brian Q. Miller Stephanie Brown as a Blue Lantern series. :)

(The final issue of the Stephanie Batgirl series showed her as a Blue Lantern. Barbara was a Green Lantern. And Damian was a Red Lantern.)