Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except that is part of Rick's character, and has been all through the series. He's often been described as a "manchild" by Kate and others, it's part of his charm.

I completely forgot that we returned from hiatus yesterday night. Will have to catch this sometime later.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

@Vendikarr & Forbin: I had the same reaction. I've complained before when he acted superstitious and gullible, and other posters have suggested that maybe he was just putting on an act -- and as Vendikarr said, an earlier episode confirmed that. But here Castle was written in full-on Shaggy mode, cowering in genuine fear of a silly superstition, something that he knew to be a copy of something from a movie. It was just annoying.

I mean, even aside from Castle's characterization issues, you know that in a mystery show like this, the crime is going to be solvable, that it will have an explanation the detectives can uncover in the final act. So therefore it's not going to come down to some supernatural mystery. So all that time wasted positing oogy-boogy theories just distracted from the kind of actual investigation that a mystery show is supposed to be about.

And not only was this episode steeped in the things that have annoyed me about the show in the past few seasons, but it also brought back an annoying habit the show had in the first two, mostly superior seasons: Having the cops overlook something obvious that they should have considered in order to artificially keep them from figuring out the mystery. In this case, it was Espo (or was it Ryan?) offhandedly mentioning the other guy who was falsely accused of the murders, and then nobody bothering to ask anything about that other guy. As soon as he said there was another guy, I instantly perked up and thought "Okay, that's got to be significant or they wouldn't have mentioned it," and when the characters just ignored that potential lead for no reason, that confirmed that the other guy had something to do with the killings.

One more thing that didn't make sense: How come Perlmutter didn't find any signs of electrocution in the victims? There should've been burns on the skin or clothing, evidence of electrocution in the muscles, something.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recorded this, but couldn't get around to watching it last night. After reading all this maybe I'll just wait until the weekend to watch it.

4. Christopher

^As cheesy as it was, I don't think it's going to get better with age.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind the episode too much, although I do agree that they went a little overboard with Castle's reaction to the tape. I could see him being kind of freaked out, but it was a little to over the top to have him so convinced that there was something supernatural going on.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah Castle's reaction was a little over the top, but still fun. As long as I'm having fun watching TV I don't mind.

If any of you also watch Bones you wouldn't mind the stupid little things Castle does. He's still fun and somewhat in characters. After eight years Bones is still annoying.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this episode well enough - though I was thinking during it "oh this episode is gonna annoy TrekBBS." The thing about Castle's reaction is that when things actually got serious there in the cabin he was perfectly rational, asking about friends or family that might want revenge and not cowering from the actual killer.

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brennan herself, yes, I agree. I generally love the rest of the cast though, and especially Hodgens and Angela together.

9. Kirby

Watched it last night. It was better than I thought it would be, but probably my least favorite of the season.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Brennan's been getting a little better this season as a character. I guess motherhood and living with Booth has made her slightly less socially retarded. But it's a testament to the show and the rest of the cast that I keep tuning in when the titular lead is my least favorite character.

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah same here, I've never cared much for Brennan.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Finally watched the episode last night and I kept waiting for Castle to admit he was just hamming it up but it never happened. I'm kind of surprised the writers would do this when he has admitted to doing this kind of stuff in the past just to annoy Beckett.

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Before we abandon the Bones sidebar - has anybody read Kathy Reichs' "Bones" novels? The character of Brennan - heck, the whole universe - is about as totally different as can be from the TV show. Really makes me wonder why Reichs (who is a producer) went so far afield from her own creation.

14. Christopher

Well, that's often the nature of an adaptation. It's not about copying the original, but creating something distinct and different from the same foundations, adding something new alongside the original rather than just duplicating what's already there. Even if two different versions start out close together, they'll develop their own distinct identities over time.

Not to mention that any TV series character is going to be shaped by the actor who plays the role. No matter how a character was originally conceived, the way the actor plays the role will affect how it's written, as the writers adjust the character to fit the actor's strengths, or change relationships to take advantage of unexpected actor chemistry.

And it's not unheard of for one writer to develop two or more different versions of the same continuity, to explore the same characters or ideas in different ways. For instance, Paul Dini writing for both Batman: The Animated Series and the DC Comics universe, or Alan Burnett producing the DC Animated Universe, The Batman, and various DC Universe DVD movies in distinct continuities. Or David Gerrold completely rewriting and rebooting some of his earlier novels, or Arthur C. Clarke doing much the same with Against the Fall of Night when he reinvented it as The City and the Stars. Writing is about creativity and imagination, after all, and exploring alternative versions of your characters and ideas is an exercise of creativity.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Seamus is puttin' on a nice show tonight!

16. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Did you catch the naughty little play on words? :lol:

18. Kirby

^^ I must have missed that... Decent episode, although the Jordan thing seemed a little shoe-horned in. I like the concept of that and wish it would have been played out differently instead of making it a throw away story.

19. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Everything seemed to wrap just a bit too quickly, but Seamus' excellent performance more than made up for it.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah this ep should have been a two-parter.