Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Is this going to exist in the same continuity as the movie?

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which one? The live action one? I doubt it.

3. Drago-Kazov

Yeah, the live action.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yamato has always had odd internal continuity. In the second original film (w/ the Comet Empire), Kodai and Yuki drove the Yamato into Zordar's dreadnaught destroying it, and killing themselves in the process. This differentiates from series 2 where Trelena basically wipes out Zordar with her energy, allowing them to live. The other movies (w/ the Dark Nebula Empire and Dinguil) continue to be made along with Series III (Bolar Wars), with Kodai and Yuki still alive. The live-action ends with Kodai doing the same thing to wipe out the Gamilas, but if they ever want to do a sequel, they could probably have some wiggle room, as I don't think they showed anything but a distant explosion.

So, long and short of it, they play fast and loose with Yamato's continuity. As with many such reboots, I would consider this to be in a different universe/time line. I just hope it doesn't contain thinly-veiled political commentary like the more recent "Yamato Resurrection" had. I was starting to get a little irritated with that, but I suspect that was Nishizaki's influence at the time.

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The Live Action movie is essentially by itself. It is mostly a vehicle for the movie's star than anything else (also the reason why there will not be an English dub of that film...the actor's contract says no to a dubbing of his voice)

It cannot join up with any other Yamato stories because it is greatly different from everything else. Especially when it comes to the Gamilas.

The closest thing like it in science fiction is the differences between the Wing Commander games, books, and cartoon verses the Wing Commander movie. It is similar, but yet totally different. Even the remade Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek 2009 were closer to their sources than Wing Commander.

The live action Yamato movie had the ship, and some of the characters. Of them only a few were unchanged from their anime origins. The situation on Earth was the same. The loss of the Earth fleet was similar. After that things become echos of the anime plotlines from the first and second anime movies. It is mostly the first until they reach their desination, then it becomes the plotline of the second for the rest of the film with touches of the first left in because that was the orignal plot.

Yamato 2199 so far has followed the original series plotline. It has changed things as well, fixing certain plot holes and making some things make more logical sense than they did in 1974. However it will not be a straight remake, As they condense material, they have opened up space for new stories. I estimate they will have room for six entirely new episodes before the series ends.

6. 137th Gebirg

Did they include those odd little bee people?

7. Ithekro

The Live Action Movie (and the theatrical release of the first series) do not include the Bee People. The Live Action Movie didn't stop to land people on any planets until they reached their destination.

Yamato 2199 has not gotten that far into the story. If they encounter the Bee Peoples it won't be until Chapter 4 at the earliest. The General Director did say we would see that planet again, but it would not be the same story as before.

8. Ithekro

9. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well since I missed the initial Space Battleship Yamato train (and the available DVDs are priced too rich for my blood) I did jump on board this updated incarnation instead. So far I'm enjoying it.

I also recently watched the live action movie, which was pretty decent.

10. Ithekro

11. Ithekro

About two months now before the BD come out for sale.

Chapter Three comes into 12 theaters on October 13th.

Yamato2199.net has most of the information (in Japanese) while Starblazers.com has much of it in English is some form, but usually delayed to the beginning of each month for the translators to catch up.

Sales of the to previous chapters is averaging about 35,000 units of DVD and BD together as of the Ides of September.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that considered 'good' for something like this in Japan? (Just curious as I like what they've done with it so far and would like to see them be able to complete the project.)

13. bullethead

I think so. IIRC Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere got 20K BD sales for its first season (13 episodes), which allowed them to greenlight the second season. People think that if the second season gets the same sales number, they'll greenlight a third season.

14. Ithekro

Well the really high selling series sell in the 40K-45K range with very, very few series selling over that in the last decade.

Guessing Top 20 in anime sales for the last decade. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking series rather than stand along movies.

15. Drago-Kazov

Is there going to be an english trailer too?

16. 137th Gebirg

They ---might--- make an English subtitled trailer. Other than that? Unlikely.

17. bullethead

Not until they decide to bring it stateside, which is gonna be awhile. Depending on how long 2199 is going to be, we might not get it for a few years.

18. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Or if the legal streaming website, Crunchyroll, picks up the series you may see one sooner.

I'm guessing the chart toppers probably include Bakemonogatari and Madoka Magica as well, what with how insanely popular they are.

19. Ithekro

Well those, I think possibly Fate/Zero, and most things Gundam, with I think Gundam Seed topping the chart, or prehaps Gundam Unicorn (which is having a similar lease style as Yamato 2199).

Gundam have pretty much been around the entire time since the late 1970s. Yamato went mostly quiet for a decade or two. It didn't vanish, as you could find parodies and homages to it almost every year. But the old girl herself stayed quiet on television.

Now with the number of theaters expanding for the Chatper 3 release...I wonder if "Yamato Fever" will strike again.

(The 10 minute preview for Episode 7 was released today by Bandai Channel (region locked)...there will be copies of it around the internet at least until the episode is released in two weeks.)

20. bullethead

With the odd release structure the show has, I doubt we'll see Crunchy pick it up until a little later in its run, if at all.

Then again, the Bandai YouTube channel would be a great way to release the episodes to people in Japan and overseas if they didn't put their stupid region locking on it like they did with Gundam AGE.