Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

You dish some, you get some. The Slovaks trounced Bulgaria by over 80 (yes, 80) goals in a preliminary tournament game.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Holy crap! I hadn't heard.

3. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised he was still recognisable at all after slamming into that pillar, and I don't think padding would have made any difference there. Besides the speed of the track, the question should be why there such concrete pillars right next to the track in the first place and why the ice walls weren't high enough to prevent flying off like that.
    And I agree the designer should be sued, and also the people who decided it's safe to race there.

5. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

Regardless, you should keep in mind that that track has had more than 5000 runs on it since it was built, and has had only one significant incident. A tragedy, yes, which has led to alterations, but in general it has been utilized as a safe, albeit extremely fast, track. Had he not lost control of his sled heading into the final corner, there probably would not have been the incident.

6. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Anti Plympic Protesters
    WTF is up with these loosers they break shit, windows etc then they blame the police who are only doing their jobs, they get no sympathy from me.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Olympic Resistance Network..." :guffaw: :guffaw: :rolleyes:

8. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

There is such a thing as an agent provocateur, you know. :borg:

That's what happened during a Quebec protest a few years back, and it's becoming more common. Police plant provocateurs among the idiots who don't like to change protest tactics, and those agents start trouble.

If you want to see real action, check out the massive Greece protests and strikes against budget cuts right now.

Since I don't like to detract from the sporting events myself, I suggest our three posts (yours, mine, and Laser Beam's) be moved into TNZ.

9. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

but people crash all the time in the olympics.
    anyone who didnt understand this never bothered to watch the olympics before.

you have to plan for this...

10. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

His family should sue.

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

They probably will end up doing so. That track is only a few years old--not a few decades. It was being publicly prided as "the fastest in the world." It was designed to facilitate more speed. A Vancouver blogger made an astute point--if Nodar had been thrown off his sled but suffered his fatal head injury on the track within its walls the officials absolving the track would have a point--but the walls being so short that they allowed his body to fly off the track completely and into the beam....that proves something was deficient in the track design. If you can go airborne off the track, something's wrong with it. The fact they lowered the starting point and heightened the walls acknowledges this.

12. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

I guess my point of view is sort of tailored by the fact that I'm an auto racing fan. To my view, there is always an inherent risk in any speed-related sport. Ten years ago, Dale Earnhardt was killed in an incident that looked far less than many far worse looking accidents. That accident led to changes that have since saved lives.

This track in Vancouver was known for its speed. There was never a problem at the "Out" until that day. Until there was a racer who entered the corner already losing control. I'd agree with you that there probably should have been a wall there to begin with. But it's important to remember that in speed events, accidents happen. Tragic accidents, for certain. But they happen.

13. Dorian Thompson

Didn't Dale senior die because he refused to use that that specially designed protection device, I forget what it's called, that basically secures your head in place? I didn't really start watching Nascar until after number three died.

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

15. Dorian Thompson

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks.

16. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

At the time, that safety device wasn't mandatory. The next week, it was. (And it probably should have been mandatory, just like that wall probably should have been there. Sometimes, though, humans won't do anything about something until it bites you in the ass.)

17. Dorian Thompson

Yeah, I agree. That makes sense.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, as to the games (And I must admit, I really can't talk about them that much unless someone wants to see what I have to say at least 3-6 hours after the fact :mad:), I was watching a bit of the Biathlon today and man was it snowing hard. They said it doesn't affect the targets, but I would think it would because visibility is so low. Of course I really don't follow it so I don't know.

As for last night, some thoughts, again probably really old news to everyone else :(

-I think I have a new favorite event. That short-track is awesome to watch. I mean for Ohno's first race he passed everyone, and everyone around him just fell. It was kinda like that old children game of Patty Cake, only this time it was on skates going about 30 MPH on a short oval. Loved seeing Ohno and Celski get silver and bronze. Very exciting racing.

-Luge is a bit boring, which surprises me because I thought it was ok other years. Maybe it was just so late and after the excitements of the finals I was ready to turn it off and go do something else (Like go to bed) I was surprised they left it on and went to Luge.

-Really enjoyed the Woman's moguls last night, seeing Kearny and Burke win. Good for the US again in that event. Today seems to be an off day for viewing, but I wouldn't mind seeing more Moguls action.

19. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Mens moguls is on now. Finals will be later in the night.

20. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

At least that reclusive turncoat Dale Begg-Smith isn't in a good position to win moguls gold. Go Marquis! Go Gingras! Go Bilodeau!