Supernatural 4x4 "Metamorphosis" SPOILERS discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Well, the shit hits the fan tonight. Dean finds out Sam's been a bad boy. Oh, and they try to deal with a man who's slowly turning into a cannibal against his will. :p Good clean Winchester fun.

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Give em hell Dean. I want to see some real anger. Then I want to see Dean tell him the rest, and I want to see Jared have a real reaction to both. Hopefully going from anger to sadness.

I almost don't care about the MOTW.

3. Dorian Thompson

Oh I could have gone all day without seeing that guy slurping down the raw meat.

Wow, that conversation between Dean and Sam was painful. :cardie: :( I've been waiting for one stinging conversation like that between Nathan and Peter on Heroes all season long. Dean went from mad to plain hurt. If I didn't know you, I'd hunt you......ouch....:alienblush: Dean was so bitter. That cut to the core. I didn't think he was going to hit him twice. Threatening to leave him behind.

Painful to watch. :cardie: Man, Dean is taking some cheap shots at Sam in front of their friend, Travis. It's not normal affectionate teasing funny. Dean's pissed off.

4. Dorian Thompson

Good grief, that episode was somber as hell. Gross, too. :eek: This isn't demon hunting cutesy Buffy style. This is some painful grossed out shit. So his wife escapes, his pregnant wife, and the condition is genetic.

Man, Dean was being shitty to Sam, and it isn't done yet even though Sam says it is. You know it isn't going to be that simple. Padalecki and Ackles shared some great scenes. You really felt Sam's pain because he was adrift for so long. He doesn't know what to do. Sad. Next week is the black and white episode.

There's a wall between the brothers now, but you still sense how deeply they love one another. Dean was really thrown by Sam not wanting to talk. Things have changed and then some. Good episode, but a real downer.

5. mswood

Well I have about 6 minutes and my copy will be viewable....

6. Dorian Thompson

Oh the idiots at TWOP are singing. They've been looking forward to the "confronation" but when they get it and it's brutal, they don't like it. They're "assassinating character" and making one brother look better than the other. The same old whining. Those nimrods do not want a grown up show. I'm glad they aren't wussing out.

7. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    Well.... the guy that took you out of hell is not what u expected to find.... and then u find out he has a boss you completely didn't realize was paying attention to the game. and then get told that you brother is about to be traded to another team and that'll get him taken out by the man who paroled you from hell... then the bother find out that he's on the wrong side after all... and you are about to be taken out by a entity you only prayed about....

after all... most religions put god on a pedistal and you are told you need a priest or intermediatary to talk to him... the religions keep telling you u are too unimportant to talk to somone of his calibur...

both brothers are coming to realizations they thought could only be accomplished thru clergy... hmmm... will they realize that god is sitting on their shoulder....

8. Dorian Thompson

Don't know, but I can't wait to find out. :bolian:

9. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The pregnant wife getting away was obvious as soon as the condition was revealed to be genetic. That said, I really enjoyed the MOTW actor's struggle.

Of course it was very VERY DAYTIME obvious that the guy's inability to conquer his dark side is allegorical to Sam's dark side. They couldn't have made it more obvious if they'd had Sam say it out loud.

Nice confrontation between the brothers--Dean hitting Sam...TWICE? :eek:

Dean calling Castiel "Cas" :bolian::bolian::bolian:

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Castiel doesn't seem like a 'Cas.' I'd like Dean to say it to his face.

11. Dorian Thompson

That wife better hope Sarah Palin's cronies aren't picketing the local abortion clinic.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found this rather disappointing after the rest of the season so far. It's probably for budget reasons but I never care for these rather house-bound episodes.

13. mswood

Easily the weakest of the episodes this season, but I was surprised by several factors.

First I thought the casting and acting by the guest cast was fairly strong. And I was surprised about how much the conflict between the brothers was in this episode.

But I do feel Dean is a bit of a hypocrite on this issue. Have no problem with the words exchanged or the blows, both are in character for both of them. But several things should have been brought up, first should have been Lenore. As a showcase that one can be a monster and fight and succeed in not being evil.

The 2nd is Dean attitude towards Ruby. While he hates Ruby he has certainly been guilty of letting her help them fight evil. It's just in her interactions with Sam that he has a huge problem. Dean has also let demons walk freely on earth when he has had the chance to end them.

And in Sam absolutely should not allow Dean to forget that.

One thing that was startling is how much this episode reminds me of Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things in structure. But I think this one was more successful.

Also nice to see Sam call Dean out on his feelings about Sam being a "Freak". I don't think Dean ever realized that he was letting Sam see how much it really freaked him out. But Dean should really know that Sam really does know him better then anyone.

Right now as it stands I still am truely shocked at how much better this season is then any of the other.

Dorian How would you rate the episodes compared to the other seasons.

#1. Pilot, In My Time of Dying, Magnificent Seven, Lazarus Rising

I personally like In mY Time of Dying just a little bit more then Lazarus Rising the other two aren't even close.

#2. Wendigo, Everybody Loves a Clown, THe Kids are alright, Are You There God? It's me Dean Winchester. Not even close Are You There God is far superior.

#3. Dead in the Water, Bloodlust, Bad Day at Blackrock, and In the beginning. While I think all are good episodes In the Beginning is great episode.

#4. Phantom Traveler, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, Sin City and Metamorphosis. I think that Metamorphosis is the best of this bunch.

In other words, I love this season.

14. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was I the only one that missed Mischa this week?

15. Dorian Thompson

Oh no, you weren't the only one who missed Misha. He's only a semi regular, though. They couldn't afford him full time. The show took a huge budget cut this season. They all did except for Gossip Girl. :rolleyes: Castiel will be back, though. Have no fear.

Mswood, I agree that this was the weakest of the first four, though I did like it. I think the brutality of the brothers' interaction was really necessary for their character development. They aren't afraid to show that something is very, very wrong with the brothers. They've both experienced a major trauma and are reacting realistically. I like that very, very much. On that note (some) of the rabid obsessed fangirls at TWOP are arguing over which brother was being shittier to the other, and whose character was "assasinated" more by the writers because they were so gosh darned mean to each other. It's classic. :lol:

Dean hit him. He's being abusive!! Sam's so selfish. The writers always prop up Sam by making Dean so mean!! Dean never gives a chance!! Oh, the fangirls. :guffaw:

Rating it against the fourth eps of the other seasons, I'd put Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things in a dead heat with this episode. Children was one of my favorite eppies from season two because I love the zombie action. Sin City comes after that, and Dead in the Water is dead last. I'm really pleased they aren't letting the conflict drop between the boys. They're both in real trouble. Ruby's new meatsuit can't arrive soon enough for me. God, this actress sucks.

16. mswood

Seriously, a semi regular was the weakest actor of the bunch, and that isn't a good thing at all.

I mea even last year as much as I disliked much of the character of Bela at least the actress did well with what she was given.

There have been so many moments to allow the actress to show some similarities to how Ruby was last year. Even if she is toning down her attitude to stay in Sam's good graces, in fits of anger we should still see it, or moments when Sam is turned away, we should see the mask fall.

And so far, not much and what we see just isn't good enough.

I actually hope this is her last appearance until the 2 parter....

I am also curious if Castiel and God truly think that Sam is damned by his abilities. Or if they see him as a wildcard. One that they have no idea of what he could do (good or bad). And if they see that risk as being not worth the value of one life.

17. Dorian Thompson

Sascha Baresse, the actress who played Casey the demoness in Sin City last year would have made an excellent Ruby 2.0. I find myself wondering whose girlfriend is Genevieve Cortese that she got the part instead. She's certainly not the caliber of Misha Collins, is she?

18. Dorian Thompson

Well, we had to go up against a new Grey's last night, plus the premiere of CSI (22 million viewers) and a brand new office. We still managed 3.14 million viewers and a 1.4 in the demo. Just once I'd like to switch timeslots with Smallville and see how they manage. Still, I'd imagine the CW has to be pleased. Any of their chick shows would just die in the timeslot against Grey's.

19. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a great episode. It's too bad these other hunters out there are always taken out. I am looking forward to seeing Castiel return.

20. Dorian Thompson

Me, too. Next week's eppy is the black and white tribute to monster movies. I love black and white. :cool: