Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Khan Harrison, Jul 8, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just can't let an opportunity to say Kes wasn't hot pass me by :alienblush:

I'm petty like that.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never mind, you're the perfect counter balance for Lynx.

It all cancels out.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

21 year old Mulgrew would make a better Kes than Jennifer Lien did.

*Swoon*
    [​IMG]

4. teacake

It really is kind of hard for the young to be hot. Or so it seems as youth gets further away.

(yes I just said very young Mulgrew doesn't look hot..)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I assume the actors that play the captains all had a powerful influence on how the direction of their series went.

Shatner: Pissed that Nimoy's Spock was getting so much attention, but couldn't do anything about it. TOS was changed to being about Kirk and Spock friendship to give both actors enough screen time. Doctor was made the third part of trio due to the actor's talent.

Stewart: Pissed that Gates McFadden was forced to leave, had his part along with fanbase in getting her back. Wanted Action Picard in the movies, got that.

Brooks: Liked the Jake and Sisko family relationship so we got a bunch of that. Also thought racial issues for some reason would still be important in the future, so we got the bizarre "Far Beyond the Stars" and holodeck episode where Sisko complains about how blacks were treated in the past.

Mulgrew: Pissed that Ryan's Seven of Nine was getting so much attention, but couldn't do anything about it. VOY was changed to being about Janeway and Seven friendship to give both actress enough screen time. Doctor was made the third part of trio due to the actor's talent.

6. teacake

Those are some interesting beer goggles you have on Dream.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I have never worn beer goggles, teacake. :p

8. teacake

Then why is everybody pissed?

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I never take mine off. The world looks less crappy that way...

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Maybe I could have written that out better...

But I assume you got my points.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The question was rhetorical.

--Sran

12. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It has been years since I sat down and watched the extras on the Voyager DVDs, but I do remember some of the actors, when talking about Lien, were sad to see her go. They didn't, of course, say anything about Ryan coming on board. But human nature being what it is, if what those actors were saying was true and they missed Lien, they could have at least initially resented having to work with Ryan, the reason Lien was essentially fired.

Well, we don't know if any of this is true, but if it is, it could be any reason they didn't get along. Sometimes, people just don't like other people who didn't say or do anything wrong, and it is as simple as that, too. And, it doesn't mean a person is evil for not liking someone else for that, either.

But that said, and I am not saying I agree with it, but I can understand why Mulgrew would feel threatened. Ryan has not given me any reason to think she isn't anything other than she presents herself in public appearances, nor has Mulgrew for that matter, but I think one thing people must keep in mind is that actors and actresses go into acting (to varying degrees, and it is based on the individual) for the accolades and desire to be the center of attention. Some actors and actresses are very personally insecure, and anyone or anything that can potentially take that attention away (real or imagined), can cause anxiety for that actor or actress. This can be a reason for them to lash out.

13. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

never knew- but it may of given their characters some strong energy to work off

14. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I don't see how either of those episodes imply racial issues are important in the 24th century.

ewoodcourt likes this.
  15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I find Kes attractive and yes, hot in a way.

She was beautiful, Lien did a great job in portraying the character and she should have remained in the show.

16. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

And you assume Jeri's a conservative Republican... why?

17. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I don't know if she is a "conservative Republican" per se nor do I care that much about it.

I added that on just as a kind of joke because it's known to a lot of fans that Kate Mulgrew has stated numerous times that she is a Democrat (and I think she married one? I think her husband is a Democrat.). Jeri Ryan married the Republican and has stated she is Republican, I believe.

Anywho, I love them both and think they were both fantastic on the show. I don't care about their political affiliations! I just mentioned it since it's just another thing added on that could have brought tension between them. Kate marries a Democrat who was in office. Jeri marries a Republican who was also in office.

The only thing I meant earlier was that I relate more to Kate Mulgrew than Jeri Ryan. Although I agree with Teacake that it's unfair to these people for us to judge them when we do not know them personally. That was my bad. Obviously I do not know any of them on a personal level, even though I do hope I get to meet them at a con one day. However, I have to say that if I had the choice to spend a day with either one of them, I would choose Kate.

I don't care about their politics...but I did mean what I said about how of course there would be animosity between them because of a) Jennifer Lien getting canned (though I agree with others that Seven was much more entertaining and engaging than Kes!) and b) Mulgrew most likely felt upstaged or felt threatened by someone who the producers suddenly brought in and kept referring to as the "hot one who would boost ratings". Of course there would be tension. That's a given. Though I hope it wasn't as bad as rumors say it was. I would like to think it's somewhat behind them now.

18. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Sorry, i misremebered something.

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Nope because he never said it.

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhhh, she's not exactly my type, but I gotta say that Kes in Warlord was hotter than Neelix on his best day. ;)

Maybe they're "not" important issues in the future, but they are important to us today. I can imagine that even in the 24th century, a thoughtful man or woman could look back and wonder about the struggles their race or sex endured to get them where they are "in the future".

That's what Alex Haley did many years ago and Le Var Burton got his first acting job because of it. :techman:

Just because her EX husband was a Republican, doesn't mean that Jeri is one. Back in 20th century America it was possible to marry outside one's political party. ;)

Even if she is of a different political party from Kate, that is certainly no reason to be treated with disrespect either on the set, or off.

Speaking of respect, I was very pleased a few years ago when at one (Canadian?) con on youtube, Kate basically did a mea culpa on her attitude towards Jeri on the Voyager set.

IIRC, Kate did explain her many reasons for disliking the perception raised by the switch from Kes to Seven, but she seemed to apologize for taking her frustrations out on an "innocent". It wasn't Jeri's fault Jen was jettisoned and TPTB decided to go in a new direction. Jeri just won the audition sweepstakes. (Don't know who else was in the running besides Jeri and Hudson Leick who portrayed not only Callisto, but also the main character for one episode in Xena:WP)

Oh, and to end on a TNG note... Gates McFadden leaving was bogus and related to her interactions with (one?) staff member. Once he left, she was free to return, and as much as I liked Pulaski, I was glad to see Crusher back on the Enterprise. If it was Patrick Stewart and the TNG fans that made it happen, then all power to them! :bolian: :klingon: :bolian: