Cool, Syfy UK are showing DS9!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG is also being edited - even the later showings. "Yesterday's Enterprise" had the bit where Cpt. Garrett edited out (you know, she has something stuck in her neck - or is it her head?). It made the jump to them all standing around discussing her death a bit odd!

What's even more bizarre was the episode was left intact by the BBC at 6pm over twenty years ago! Sy-Fi obviously a little over-cautious here...?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Alternatively, because they have an earlier showing. They can't be bothered to have two different versions of the episode.

3. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

The DS9 violence cuts are really getting on my nerves now. Evil Odo's explosive death was completely edited out of Crossover on Thursday, while their tampering with the opening scene of The Collaborator last night was probably the clumsiest piece of editing I've ever seen, right down to stray frames either side of the removed shot.

The offending sequence was Bareil's orb experience on the Promenade, where he walks into the dead body of Prylar Beck who is hanging from the upper level. SyFy cut away from that as soon as possible, and over to Kira playing springball.

Here's how the scene plays uncut;

BAREIL: "Nerys?"

KIRA: "Vedek Bareil...wanna play?"

BAREIL: "Help me...please!"

But in order to remove this shot of Bareil;

[​IMG]

SyFy edited this whole bit down so that it only shows Kira, with Bareil and his swinging friend kept firmly off-screen.

Thus, things get silly;

BAREIL (off-camera): "Nerys?"

KIRA: "Vedek Bareil...wanna play?"

BAREIL (off-camera): "Please!"

So rather than being a scene about a man being tormented by the events of his past, SyFy decided it should instead be about Bareil being afraid Kira won't play springball with him. Cos that makes sense. :guffaw:

Later on in another Orb vision they also removed this shot of Kira;

[​IMG]

Knives in particular seem to be a huge no-no on the SyFy channel. Duet, Necessary Evil, The Collaborator - they all feature stabbings and in all cases SyFy have removed any and all shots of the blade. What's left is more of a suggestion that a stabbing has taken place.

Now like Trek Survivor said, the BBC showed all this stuff more-or-less uncut in the same timeslot twenty years ago. For instance, I clearly remember watching Odo explode. The only issue the BBC ever seemed to have with violence on DS9 was the occasional broken neck. So why the sudden squeamishness on SyFy? And if these relatively tame sequences are getting the chop, episodes like Way of the Warrior, To the Death, Empok Nor & Rocks and Shoals are going to be almost unwatchable. :confused:

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  4. Kinggodzillak

Oh, and another fine example of SyFy's incompetence; last Thursday, they managed to accidentally show the TNG episode The Mind's Eye at 6pm instead of the scheduled DS9 episode Profit & Loss.

5. Kinggodzillak

They're going back to the start after The Adversary. :(

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Sky or CBS must have the rights to seasons four to seven.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Didn't they show "Deja Q" instead of "Devil's Due" once as well.

As for going back to the start, they've already done it at least once though I think it's twice for TNG. Perhaps their rights kick in later in the year.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just checked the listings and after Season 3 they're showing.... Season 1 : /

Does anyone know when/if Season 4 onwards will air?

9. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

UK Thought Police in full effect

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You've been hanging around with the wrong Brits, most of the ones I've meet at conventions and events think DSN is one of the best if not the best ST show.

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These aren't proper fans I'm talking about, just friends and associates. Whenever I bring up Star Trek (I have no social skills, OK?), I always mention DS9 is my favourite and almost universally get a bad reaction. I then press people on why they don't like it and they clearly know nothing about the show so it must be some bandwagon. I'm lucky if people even know it's "the one with the black captain."

TNG is easily the most popular Star Trek show among everybody I know in real life. Which is awesome cus TNG is terrific, but I'd like to see a bit more DS9 love.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

TOS and TNG certainly had a bigger impat on the general TV viewer than did DSn, VOY or ENT.

13. Shazam!

I think so. Definitely TNG was the go-to show in our household at least. DS9 probably lost a lot of people early on whilst those stuck with it loved it. I certainly only caught it on and off and it wasn't until the repeats that I realised how great it is.

14. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

I've noticed that too over the last 2 decades, you rarely meet anyone here in the UK who has heard of or likes DS9, and if you do, they are almost always fairly hardcore Trek fans.

Although... I was lucky enough to have a friend at secondary school who was a Trek fan, and we stayed friends until way after I finished university, and he absolutely hated DS9, barely acknowledging its existence. He of course totally adored Voyager. :vulcan:

15. Kinggodzillak

SyFy made more cuts to the last two episodes of season three. The bit in Facets where Bashir/Torias waves his hand through the fire was removed - as was that awesome moment in The Adversary where the changeling smashes Dennis Madalone's head against the wall. :rolleyes:

16. Kinggodzillak

17. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really interesting to see them all together like that. Thanks for doing it.

18. Shazam!

Does anyone know if/when they'll get around to showing Season 4 onwards?

19. Kinggodzillak

September, supposedly.

20. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

Watched DS9 on Syfy earlier (yes, Move ALong Home, not the best episode) and it feels like Syfy are tearing the episodes to ribbons - awful and completely undisguised jump cuts between scenes, dialogue out of sync with the image, repeating a section of footage after an advert break that had appeared just before the previous break... Terrible.