September Challenge: Secrets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by KobayashiMaru13, Sep 2, 2010.

1. KobayashiMaru13

KobayashiMaru13 Captain Captain

Thanks, TheLoneRedshirt, for an awesome topic last month! And now, for this month's...

Everyone has a secret, and it is your job to tell us about one. Whether its a secret among friends, a web of family secrets, a secret shared among crewman, or the secret of an entire race--you decide. In 4000 words, spin a tale about a secret. Perhaps how it was formed, an ill effect it has, or how it strains a friendship. It's up to you.

All entries are due by September 29 2010, 11:00 pm Central Time.
    Any and all characters are welcome, canon or not, any universe, and any era you choose.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Complaints? ;)

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

OH, MAN...I have the PERFECT event in the Sigils universe for this.

If I can get my plot together in time, really understand HOW it happened, it would be wonderful! I just hope I can come up with it in time...

3. unusualsuspex

unusualsuspex Captain Captain

I keep promising myself that I'll enter these comps and something always happens to derail me!

This month (again!) I'm gonna try try try! Mainly cos I have the perfect (possibly) idea from the Angel series!

Watch this space :)

4. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

I'm tempted to try my hand at one of these ... I already have an idea.

I've never done this before, do we just post it in the thread, send a copy to the OP, what?

5. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't enter this. No one in the Tesseract series has any secrets.

:devil::lol:

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Usually you give the story its own thread and post a link in the contest thread.

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting, simple and direct. Hmmm....

I wonder what Joe and Shand have been up to?

8. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

Thanks for the info.! :)

9. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Hmm.. sounds interesting. Mystery, intrigue, danger, maybe a little romance. Sounds like a good mission, should you choose to accept it.

:D Of course, Starfleet intelligence will disavow any knowledge of you or your mission should you be captured.

10. Kaziarl

11. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Blast, I've just realised (after reading this challenge for the first time), that I might actually have an idea for this.

If I go just get over my innate laziness and get it written...

12. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    How strict is the word count ceiling? Is there any sort of wiggle room?

13. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
  14. unusualsuspex

unusualsuspex Captain Captain

I present, for the first time, an entry for a fanfic comp! Though I ought to qualify this entry.

Although it is newly written for this competition, it's an extract of my ongoing story 'STAR TREK : ANGEL - SAVING HISTORY" which you can find on this very board! :cool:

I had intended something along this line for the character in question, but the comp sparked my imagination and here it is. If it doesn't qualify on those grounds I understand.

Background for those who aren't following the story so far:

The four Starfleet crew aboard the Nightingale class runabout USS Blackwell have found themselves stranded in the 21st century mere days before the nuclear holocaust which was the climax of Earth's third world war.

Star Trek : Angel - Secrets (an extract from a forthcoming chapter of "SAVING HISTORY Pt II")

15. Cobalt Frost

Another question: one entry per person, or can we submit multiple?

16. Kaziarl

The unwritten rules is one entry per person. Thats just kinda what we go by unless the OP says specifically otherwise. Which I've never seen happen, but I suppose it could.

17. Cobalt Frost

Never hurts to ask.

18. Kaziarl

That is true. There's a few unwritten rules that I've never seen stated until the came up. Like the one about not voting for yourself. I never vote for myself anyway, but I remember someone did at one point and there ended up being a discussion over it.

19. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...self-voting, entering twice, and plagiarizing are definitely non-kosher. (All of which I have seen happen, during my time here.)

20. Kaziarl

yeah, just a few months ago didn't we have someone that had 3 and he couldn't decide which one was the 'actual' entry? And someone else copy and pasted a page from Memory Alpha. It amusing sometimes what people will try to get away with.

Now the voting and multiple entries I don't really see a huge issue with. I don't vote for myself as a personal choice, and thats that for me. Just so happens the community also doesn't agree with self voting. And multiple entries, I don't really think it gives you an "unfair" advantage, although it might simplify things a bit instead of having 5+ entrants with 3+ entries, thats 15+ stories to read.

But plagiarism is never acceptable under any terms. We have many good writers here, and to try and plagiarize something as your own is insulting and offensive at best.