Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well it appears to be Kree writing, so the assumption that the "Guest" alien had some kind of information encoded right into it's DNA. How that can transpose itself into a human brain to be expressed via wall scribblings...well it's comic book logic. Plus crazy wall scribblings is an old trope for indicating deep or "divine" knowledge...and for being crazy...

So what are we thinking about the multiple Koenigs? Clones? Life model decoys? Or just boring normal human twins?

Oh and Calling it right now: Fitz is going to become Modok. ;)

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

He burned it at the end of CA:TWS.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I thought the whole season was awesome, and the finale was just the perfect capper. Clark Gregg didn't disappoint me in any single episode. I watched it for Coulson. I got Coulson. Job well done.

I think Skye's parents were Skrull sleeper agents. The dead Kree was originally sent to root them out.

Just my guess...

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another thing I liked was Cybertek being some generic crap cube farm. Probably a little schadenfreude on my part.

Fitz seemed quite cognizant of his situation.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

The scene at the end with Garrett was funny but was anyone else a little disappointed we missed out on a cool super villain?

6. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

My complete guess is that we'll get a "brain damaged" version of Fitz, that is a Fitz who is smart but not a genuis, much to his chagrin. It'll probably last half a season or so, before they encounter some kind of drug or alien device that will allow him to be restored to his normal self.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's an MCU tie-in comic that shows him with the eyepatch during the Cold War, probably sometime in the '80s. Another tie-in comic has him say (in a situation where he's undercover, so it's not reliable) that he lost his eye in "the war." When asked which war, he said, "Take your pick."

Besides, SHIELD didn't know about the eye controller/bomb things until "Eye Spy." If Fury had had one, I kinda think they would've known.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I'm more confused about how it came about at all. Just before that scene, didn't they pack him up in some kind of locked coffin thing and drag him out of the room with a host of agents? The casual way Coulson dispatched of him didn't seem to fit either, especially if Garrett had escaped and killed all the agents that were transporting him to get back there.

Felt like it was supposed to be some kind of simulator or something to let Coulson vent, but... turned out it wasn't.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect that scene was conceived and inserted after the fact. Probably would've been smoother by omitting the coffin scene, it plays like it was meant to replace it rather than follow it.

EDIT: watching it again, it's interesting that the coffin was there in that room. So maybe it could be rationalized the dead guys were actually Hydra agents who took him there to rebuild him. Maybe they died because Garrett is well, Garrett.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Most everybody's said my thoughts overall on this episode - truly excellent and I'm so excited for a season 2 now - but I wanted to specially note that FitzSimmons this episode... just... FitzSimmons this episode, damn. Those two knocked it out of the park for me.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Clark Gregg was always awesome, and Ming Na-Wen was usually pretty good. However, the characters of Skye, Ward, fitz and Simmons, weren't very interesting until around episode 9, where the writing stared getting good and the rest of the cast started becoming more interesting. From that point, the show became really good, and the rest of the cast became generally interesting characters (although it took Ward's reveal as a villain to make him iteresting). I'm sure it will continue being great next season. It just had a very rough patch for the first 8 or so episodes, but based off the rest of the season I don't think it will have a long stretch of bad episodes again next season.

12. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I re-checked "Eye Spy" and "Beginning of the End". The diagram (I say singular not plural since all the circles and lines are connected) on the board in "Eye Spy" appears to be of the same type as the ones Garrett and Coulson drew.
    http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/File:Alien_equation.png

The one in "Eye Spy", however, is also accompanied by some vertically-written Latin alphabet-proportioned symbols that match the Skrull script from the comics.
    http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/features/124500-s-h-i-e-l-d-dossiers-s01e04-eye-spy.html

I also re-watched the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. I might have missed something, but the only writing I could see was the English on the Nova Corps's computers.

I have doubts now that Skye and her parent(s) are Kree or Skrull since Raina is focused on "evolution" not "interbreeding". Plus I find it a bit difficult to believe that the Asgardians are totally unaware of Kree/Skrull presence on Earth.

13. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I brought up the same question earlier in the thread. Apparently you can see the coffin and the dead agents in the scene. I need to go back and watch it again. That being said, it was still kind of a rocky transition

14. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Right after Garrett goes boom:

[​IMG]

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There was probably some regenerative after-effect of the GH.325 at work. He had only just taken it a few hours before.

16. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I missed that the first time around, though it still seems odd (especially since they were transporting him through a door on the other side of the room when last we saw him).

The other part I didn't get, however, was -- as mentioned -- the casual way in which he was dispatched. It just doesn't fit at all with the rest of the episode, especially with Coulson just shouting out to people off-set that he knew that weapon would be lying around somewhere before strolling off. If Garrett had escaped and killed the agents transporting him, wouldn't it have been a more stressful situation with at least a couple of other agents in the room with weapons or something?

I mean, I get it was intended for laughs, but it was just so disjointed...

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but that's kind of a Joss thing though. In the pilot episode of Firefly, there was a tense scene where the bad guy was holding someone hostage on Serenity and Mal just walks in and shoots the guy in the head, and then everyone got back to work.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Not to mention the bit where the henchman promises he'll hunt Mal down wherever he goes, and Mal kicks him into the ship's engine.

19. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

there have been a couple of moments late in season one where it's felt like SHIELD has made a nod to the stylings of Buffy. Coulson's "huh" reaction when he found out that he was leading TAHITI and then Garrett's death. kept expecting Sarah Michelle Gellar to appear out of nowhere. one can dream ;)

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Recognizing the death of unnamed Agents X and Y isn't 'worth it' to ruin the joke I assume.