DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bleeding Cool listed that under their Swipe File, since Batman #5 also ended with the hero getting impaled from behind. Scott Snyder replied, which, increased my love of him even more!

:techman:

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I always found it amazing that the Legion really got its push into popularity while being written by a 14 year-old.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's way too many Legion books. It's like an anti-franchise. There are like 30,000 Legion fans, and most of them hate everything. There does not need to be four Legion books. Especially another origin. Especially another origin written by Paul Levitz (eighth time is the charm).

What? Really? I thought Lost was a damned mini/maxiseries anyway. Jeez.

Oh, yeah, it was way better when Lightning lad was called Live Wire and Phantom Girl was called Apparition. :p

Forty year olds who call themselves "boy." At least, that's my preferred interpretation.

You're okay, man.

Yeah, but Jim Shooter's Legionnaires kinda sucked. Except for Nemesis Kid. But he was evil! I liked it when Triplicate Girl beat him up because he has the ability to overwhelm any one foe. That was awesome.

Heh, when the cartoon ended, he was still a good guy. I like to think they'd have fucked with Legion fans and kept him good forever, anyway. They were weird about that, like when they had Lightning Lord just straight-up turn himself in, voluntarily accept a prison sentence, and apparently reform, instead of slavishly copying the old comics and having him become increasingly unhinged until he started talking to clouds (this happened).

I miss the Legion cartoon. Best Legion ever. :( On the other hand, they may've gone as far as they could go, since the entire show revolved around Brainiac's fucked-up noggin, and that got resolved (it didn't make a lot of sense, but it was emotionally satisfying). I'm sure it would've still been entertaining, but they didn't save anything for the swim back--good call, since they got cancelled. Maybe Brainy would've finally fucked Superman (yeah, you probably think I'm kidding). Thin line to hang a season on, though. :D

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I read "Detective Comics" and ended up mostly liking it, wasn't too bad of an issue this month.

Though I remain dubious towards the new apparent villains (I don't like the fact of so many super-natural villains being around) and their introductory scene was overly expository.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen much on here lately about the GL books. Are none of them worth reading?

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think those here who are...are sticking with Green Lantern. The rest are bad which seems to be the consensus. For the first time since Geoff Johns started his run, I am not reading GL. I just think he's way surpassed his time on the book. I think he's stated before he has five more years of stories left as well. I hope not.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was kinda surprised they didn't us the Relaunch to give someone else a chance to write GL. I know Johns' run has been popular, but there have to be other people who could write Hal Jordan just as well, and with just as much popularity.

8. Admiral_Young

I think DC have given him carte blanche over GL. He can write however long he wants to...the same was given to Grant Morrison about Batman two years ago, but he's wrapping up his run with "Batman Incorporated".

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Morrison tying up his Batman story was his idea then? I had assumed that was DC's idea because of the Relaunch.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman and GL books sell very well, so DC would have been crazy to take a chance like that. just as they would have been crazy to reboot Titans after Crisis on Infinite Earths. if it turns a profit, it won't get rebooted. (usually)

as for the quality of current GL books...i still enjoy the main GL book. its fun seeing Sinestro and Hal work together. the other books...only New Guardians is worth reading. i dropped GL Corps and Red Lanterns after about four or five issues.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm honestly not that surprised Red Lanterns isn't any good. For some reason the whole concept kind of makes me scratch my head. Based on the bits I've read about them, they seem like a good concept for occaisional villains, but not really enough to carry their own book. But I've only read about them on wikipedia, so maybe when I get to the stories with them I'll like them more than I expect.
    The one that I was hoping would be good was New Guardians, the idea of a team made up of a member of each Corps seems like something that could be really cool.

12. Admiral_Young

Morrison has said that the second part of Batman, Inc would be his finale to his run...he might have one or two more stories afterwards, but essentially when the conclusion of Inc happens that'll be it. It still is strange to me that "Batman and Son" came out in 2004, and I guess "Batman, Incorporated" will end sometime in 2013. That's a pretty damn good run. Morrison has "Muliversity" to work on and has mumbled something about his "Wonder Woman" project that he has been wanting to for quite some time now. So yeah, the relaunch would seem to have nothing to do with the end of his run. "Batman, Inc" was supposed to always be the conclusion.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'd read a Morrison Wonder Woman book. just hope its better than the JMS run.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The main Green Lantern title has had a pretty strong start. Sinestro works as a good counterbalance to Hal's idiocy and bravado. I'll be frank that I've never really liked Hal all that much, so I'm really surprised that this one is the best of the lot so far.

I was really excited to have Tomasi back on Green Lantern Corps. His run before Blackest Night ended was routinely stronger than the main title. Here, he seems to have lost something though. This story line just isn't very interesting. Part of the problem, which I've said before, is that the book has really lost something by switching out Kyle for John. Kyle and Guy had a fantastic chemistry, and watching their friendship grow was one of the highlights of the book. John is just kinda bland, and doesn't have that same spark with Guy. Not to mention, the fantastic supporting cast that this book used to have like Soranik Natu, Isamot Kol, Vath Sarn, etc. Most of these characters just seem to have been forgotten. Isamot is still there, but without Vath to play off, he isn't being utilized well.

New Guardians has a lot of potential, but it isn't quite there yet. It seems to be the title where something I've wanted to happen for a while, namely a rebellion against the Guardians, is going to occur. The plot is taking its sweet time getting anywhere, though. Most of the New 52 are wrapping up their first stories right now. New Guardians doesn't seem anywhere near it. I still like this one, and am still enjoying reading it, but it needs to get a move on.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends on if he's taking on ALL the writing duties or if Finch is still going to be plotting the book.

17. Admiral_Young

I agree..if he's completely taking over I'll check it out, if Finch is co-writing or plotting then I'm still out. I love the guy's art, but he simply can't write.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, at the urging of a fellow comic fan that I met recently, I gave Red Hood and the Outlaws another chance. I'm actually surprised. This book gets a whole lot better after the trainwreck of a first issue. This team actually has good chemistry. There's some pretty funny banter between them during battle and the story is cool enough to keep me reading. No, they still haven't explain why Kori doesn't remember anything, but the writer seems to have taken some of the criticism to heart, and she's not just being used as an emotionless sex prop. She seems to be acting a little more like the Starfire I remember. Oh, and Killer Croc as Roy's "sponsor" is just a hilarious concept.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm still lovin' Green Lantern. Of course it's not as good as the Sinestro Corps / Blackest Night days, but it's still interesting. GLC used to be my favorite title in the previous incarnation with Tomasi writing and Gleason drawing, so far this title is just meh.

New Guardians... meh.

Red Lanterns is a total waste of time and I'm all about the Rainbow Corps. Total waste of a book.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Idiocy. You are not the first here or about the net I've heard use that word to descibe Hal Jordan 2.0.
    It's just further proof of the reprogramming they did post resurrection in an attempt to make him more interesting. The irony of course is that any idiocy assigned to Kyle Rayner in his early years was unforgivable but Hal gets a pass by most. The double standard is quite laughable. :lol: