Tabulated review threads sorted by average score

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Did you set up this Poll/thread yet?

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ No, not yet - I finished the book since, but I'm still mulling it over a bit before posting thread + review. After the interesting discussion we had recently and considering the magnitude of the act of launching a new series I don't want to post snap judgements, plus since it's a thread about an older book it probably needs a little more seeding to incite a lively debate.

Also, since this will (probably) be the first retro poll+review thread and the book has sequels, I want to include some good verbiage on spoiler policy / tips to balance the needs of first-time readers and those posting from hindsight, to make sure both types can enjoy it.

Besides: If I had already, you'd see it on the page! :)

3. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Just to say that I'll definitely be participating in this project and reading and voting on older novels. I've been rereading a lot of old novels lately so someone to discuss them with will be a bonus. :)

4. Patrick O'Brien

I agree. I am doing the same thing bok, and it will be nice to hear what you all have to say. In the past five weeks I've read: "Star Trek: The Lost era: 2328-2346: The Art of the Impossible",
    "Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Lost Era: The Buried Age", and "Star Trek: Corps of Engineers: Foundations"(almost done). Any of which would be cool to talk about:D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. Sho

I'm a big fan of the SCE series; talking about those would be fun indeed.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Six, now:bolian:

7. Sho

Actually we've gathered nine votes by now :).

8. Patrick O'Brien

Looks great Sho, nice work! I am going to cast a few more votes.:) I like being able to organise the threads by average score. Very cool:bolian:

9. Sho

BTW, the regular automated update times are currently at midnight and midday, UTC. I occassionally trigger an update manually, though, such as just before posting my earlier post about the nine votes, because it hadn't collected KingDaniel's vote yet and I wanted it to be current before posting. Just by way of explanation in case anyone was looking hard enough to wonder about the irregular timestamps shown on the page.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just checked the thread for the third MyrU book so I could vote in the poll, but there isn't a poll. Do you want me to start a new thread with a poll?

11. Sho

Good question. As the thread author you have the ability to add a poll after the fact (via the Thread Tools button), which I personally would prefer over a new thread to avoid the redundancy and retread. The software will pick up the poll just fine as it was designed to do.

Rosalind is fearing that this will skew the results vs. the way the threads usually work, because the poll wouldn't have been there since the thread inception and wouldn't have gathered votes alongside the posting of the existing replies. She hence advocates new threads being opened instead. However, I think this can actually be mitigated by writing a new reply to the thread, announcing the addition of the poll. Between thread subscriptions and the relatively stable forum population making regular visits, I think this should encourage enough existing thread participants to return for a vote. Additionally, the mere existence of my site already changes the dynamics a bit by making older threads and their polls more visible. Not that voting ever required posting first anyway.

Furthermore, we were in agreement that the retro review thread project ought to be rate-limited, and I was planning to finally open my Harbinger thread this weekend or Monday-ish or so, so with a new thread we'd have a minor scheduling conflict.

Bottom line, I have no authority, but I'd say add a poll to your existing thread and write a reply to announce it :).

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I don't think it's worth worrying too much about factors that could skew the results, since BBS polls aren't scientific to begin with. The sample size is too small, participation is by choice so it isn't a random sample, etc. Polls are mainly just for fun.

13. Sho

Yup, that too. I mainly see the ranking as having a social value in context of the forum's microcosm, and when promoting it in another thread recently I explicitly warned against trusting the numbers blindly and encouraged clicking through to the actual threads. Listing them in the leftmost column instead of simply the book title was a deliberate choice from the start.

Still, must feel good to see Watching the Clock in #2 :D.

14. Sho

I've added a thread blacklist feature now to blacklist the duplicate That Which Divides review thread as the mods have proven unresponsive to pleas to merge them (I contacted Rosalind via PM, but perhaps she's on vacation or similar).

And more excitingly, I've posted the first retro review thread as discussed above: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=164281

I'm sorry to say for Christopher that it's already knocked Watching the Clock out of second place. But it's still early! :)

15. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Nice work. I like this thread b/c it doesn't spoil the books and it may nudge me to read books I hadn't planned and/or help me prioritize the books I have yet to read, but have in my to-read pile.

16. Sho

Thanks! :)

And I agree, it has definitely influenced my own reading plans as well. I hadn't really planned on reading the Mirror Universe stories until I saw Rise Like Lions top the chart, but now I'm going to.

17. bok2384

I don't know if this is the place to post this question, but, Sho, what will be the next retro novel thread that you'll be posting? Is it going to be Summon the Thunder? Thanks. :)

18. Sho

It's what I'm reading right now, and afterwards I'll go on to read the rest of Vanguard, too. So yeah, I expect to complete the set of Vanguard threads :). We have a couple of people on the board who mentioned they have the series in their reading schedule for this year as well (e.g. Killandra and Skywalker) so if we're lucky we'll even get some renewed first-time reader debate going in those.

However, I don't need to be the only one to post retro review threads, of course. I was a little keen to post the first one to establish the format, to the degree they need one (an extra word or two about spoiler policy seemed necessary). With that done now, the only thing to keep in mind is the agreed-upon rate-limiting of max one per week: I'd appreciate it if room were left for me to post the Vanguard threads every couple of weeks. Other than that, go to town :).

19. bok2384

That's great, thanks Sho. It could be good if we look upon this as a sort of book club type thing and we could get people to read along as well.

I wouldn't be posting any review threads as my reading is all over the place, I've gone from TNG's The Last Stand to Titan's The Red King.

However, count me in with reading Summon the Thunder along with you guys once I finished Red King. I've never been able to finish the novel, so hopefully the 3rd times a charm. :)

20. Sho

Agreed on the "book club" idea :). Truth be told, I'm always a little frustrated how far I am behind "everyone" on reading the books, which means I rarely get to share in the initial release excitement. It was my secret hope that retro review threads would allow us stragglers to organize a bit and make up for that. Looking forward to exchanging opinions!

Edit: That's also partly why I decided to make the first post in the review threads a little more book advertisement-like by including the cover, blurb and excerpt links - to increase the chances of encouraging someone to pick up the book by posting the thread. Of course that's in all our interest even with threads for new books, though, and so I did the same for That Which Divides.