What do you think of the new Sherlock Holmes?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by AnyStar, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer tonight. It looks like fun. I'm someone who knows next to nothing about Holmes.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In the stories, he only wore that outfit (along with the "Sherlock Holmes" hat) when traveling out into the countryside. Too many depictions notwithstanding, it wouldn't make sense for him to wear it around London.

3. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And he wasn't even described or drawn as wearing it in The Hound of The Baskervilles.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That was my point. Too many depictions have had him wearing that around London and I appreciate this version does not. Maybe this movie can help get that outfit out of the minds of most people for what Holmes has to wear.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Aye, but I'm not giving it any brownie points for merely not being wrong in that respect as so many other depictions are.

6. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably not the traditional take on Holmes...but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I thought the trailer looked good! I want to see it and the The Wolfman...

One thing I can say about the new Holmes is that it at least looks unique...and not another sequel or something based on a toy.

And who knows?

Maybe it will encourage people to read the books again...?

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I think the movie will either be really good or really bad. Clearly not a traditional take on Holmes, but I'm not averse to something new if it's good. The cast is great (Rachel McAdams doesn't make enough movies).

8. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the answers. No, I didn't mean to imply that the script is like the original stories. It's it's own thing, certainly. I just meant -- and frankly should have made more clear -- that it isn't so wildly divergent from them to be considered a reboot or SHINO. I'm an old school Holmes fan, proud owner (and reader) of both version of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes, and I am genuinely looking forward.

Like I said, or meant to say, the Irene Adler addition is a bit of a stretch. But it's fun.

9. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i am looking for to this.
    yeah it isnt exactly like doyle holmes but there was this adventure swashbuckling side to holmes.
    he was a master of disquise who put himself into some hairy situations plus he was able to fight if things got physical.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only sensible approach, really.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wanted to go see it as soon as I saw the original trailer back in the summer. I'm looking forward to it and will be going on Christmas Day after dinner time.

12. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

I wasn't too impressed with the trailer, but I'll reserve final judgment until after I've seen it.

13. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the reviews are good, I'll probably see it. I love a clever reimagining, and I enjoy RDJ. However, if it turns out to be another cliche-ridden, unoriginal action piece, I'll be pretty annoyed - like I was when I watched some of the latest BBC Robin Hood that had him doing back flips and being an expert swordsman. A big part of Robin's character is that he got the shit kicked out of him by everyone, was good-natured about it, and won by use of wits. But the action hero paradigm superseded the core of the character as it will so often do. If they've done the same with Holmes they might produce something mildly entertaining but it will ultimately be empty.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who cares about this Sherlock Holmes? The Asylum is where it's at, starring Dominic Keating as Spring-Heeled Jack. And they fight CGI monsters that they never have the budget for! :lol:

[​IMG]

15. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

:rommie:

16. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

The only thing this movie trailer has accomplished is reminding me how much I need to start reading Sherlock Holmes again. The movie captures the spirit of the novels and short stories in name only. I will not be wasting hard earned money to see this Mr. Madonna flick. :klingon:

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I don't care about the books and never really about the character until I saw the trailer and heard RDJr was attached to the project. I want a fun popcorn movie since its out during X MAS and it looks like it will give me that so the film should attract a good audience who aren't Sherlock fans.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well...at least Dominic Keating is getting work...

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

^ Starving is better than... that.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Looks too edgy and gritty to me, I always pictured Holmes as more romantic and dapper. But I'll probably still go see this.