World Baseball Classic

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I figured I would provide a forum to discuss the World Baseball Classic. I'm not sure how many baseball fans actually watch this event but I've always enjoyed it.

Its pretty cool seeing some of the teams that have grown due to the efforts of people like Wally Joyner, Art Howe and Barry Larkin. Seeing the Chinese team was pretty neat and listening to the stories about how they are being developed by former Major League players is a pretty cool story. Major League Baseball has done a phenomenal job of promoting the game across the world and while this event will never eclipse the importance of these countries individual regular seasons, its still a pretty good event.

2. Use of Time

Maybe this thread will have some input once the western teams kick off this weekend. Cuba looks really good so far as they plowed through their pool which includes the defending WBC champion Japan. The U.S. has a pool in which there should be no reason they don't advance to the second round. Mexico is going to be good but Canada and Italy are definitely beatable.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've watched some bits and pieces of games, but the announcers they have been using are incredibly annoying. It was fun watching the Dominican Republic destroy the Phillies. They ought to be a decent team.

4. Use of Time

Italy upset Mexico today which is huge for the U.S. team as Mexico seems to be the only competition in their pool. USA vs Mexico tomorrow night should be interesting. They run out R.A. Dickey with a 65 pitch count limit.

I'm watching Venezuela vs. the Dominican Republic now. There is a lot of talent on the field in this game. Miggy, Reyes, Cano etc. That pool is really deep. Glad the U.S. isn't in that one.

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

With that 65 pitch count limit, if RA is going well that could take him into the 7th inning.

6. Use of Time

Maybe, maybe not. If he has the knuckler working and the Mexican players are unprepared, it could mean getting strikeouts for outs, which means deep counts. I don't know if Dickey has ever been much of a pitch to contact kind of guy but it would sure help tonight.

7. Tom Hendricks

I was using a little hyperbole, last year he had amazing pitch counts in every start. with 65 pitches I fully expect 5 or 6 innings.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is one of the (few) things I miss after I cut cable. Unfortunately MLB.TV doesn't carry the WBC...

9. Tom Hendricks

4 inning and allowed 4 runs, doesn't look like RA had it tonight.

10. Use of Time

Nah, it wasn't moving at all. It kept floating and catching way too much plate. That one to Agon was on a tee. The one contrast that strikes me as a huge problem for the U.S. is that other countries seem to try and manufacture runs while the Americans are playing American League three run homer ball. The Dominicans are too but they are getting away with it.

11. Use of Time

The Mexico vs Canada game got nasty towards the end with a bench clearing brawl, debris on the field and what not. Its been awhile since I've seen a game get that violent.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Really? What brought that on? Somehow I can't imagine Canadians brawling. :lol:

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Mexico was giving pitchers orders to hit the batters.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Huh. Why did they do that? Is there some bad blood involved here between the two countries or something?

15. Use of Time

No bad blood, Canada had a 9-3 lead late which pretty much meant elimination for Mexico. One of the Canadian hitters tried to bunt for a hit in the eighth I think. Team Mexico didn't like that and dusted off the next batter prompting a warning. Immediately after the warning he drilled the hitter in the back and the rest is academic. The Mexican fans didn't help either as somebody drilled the Canadian pitching coach in the face with some bottle. I think there was a total of 7 player ejections with several arrests in the crowd. Nasty scene.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

I've heard talk that there are different rules in the WBC which make it actually relevant as to how many runs the winning team wins by, but I don't understand them. :confused:

All I know is, if Team Mexico was behind by that many runs, it's their own fault, ain't it? So Canada still tries to score. Big deal. You play to win. It ain't over till it's over. :shrug:

17. Use of Time

Yeah, it might have mattered in some sort of crazy three way tie but that went by the wayside as soon as the U.S. beat Italy. I think it was just embarrassment for team Mexico as they lost to Italy and Canada when they were probably considered a favorite in the pool.

The whole brawl was basically over one of baseballs many inane unwritten rules. What was interesting was how the Major League players kind of stayed out of it. Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Morneau just watched with mild amusement and tried to separate people. I think Mexico thought Canada was trying to stick it to them which is crazy because no lead is safe in a tournament like this with all the amateur pitchers.

Thankfully the U.S. bats came alive last night and saved us for another game. They got Canada at 4 EST today.

18. Tom Hendricks

David Wright had a nice Grand Slam, only the second one in WBC history.

I'm sorry I'm a proponent of playing everything out regardless of the score. You should still try to score runs no matter how much you are up by. I have seen many insurmountable leads disappear and the teams loose. I hate that unwritten rule in MLB, it's plain dumb.

19. Use of Time

The bats have come alive late for team USA after what has been a tight game. I want to see Kimbrel come in here and finish it off. This is huge for team USA because a loss would have meant the USA having to qualify for the tournament in 2017.

Eric Hosmer is the hero today with a two out base clearing double that iced it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  20. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the game. Disappointed that Canada fell short - but that being said - late game scoring is one of the things that make is so exciting. It ain't over 'til it's over.