Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think being known for playing a superhero is no longer the problem for casting directors it was when Chris Reeve donned the cape. Look at how well the likes of Christian Bale (Oscar winner) and Hugh Jackman (Oscar nominee) or Toby Maguire have done in recent years.

Cain and Welling, frankly, aren't particularly good actors and probably wouldn't have become any bigger stars than they now are even if they hadnt played Clark Kent or his alter-ego. Their careers aren't any poorer than many tv actors after they leave a well-known show. Routh probably suffered from only playing Superman once in a movie that wasn't particularly popular.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sigh.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Noika trailer looks fantastic.

The thing about Kirk555555 is that he stated when he first started to comment that he wasn't looking to derail the thread with his opinions, well if he truly meant that, then he would have posted maybe a couple of times, instead of bashing us over the head with his views which have remained consistent throughout his posts. I understand about replying to others in the thread, but seriously...most others would have posted their dislike of the film or whatever and moved along.

4. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Have you ever actually read or watched anything with Superman or super heroes? I know you claimed you have, but clearly you haven't. One thing they're not short on is explosions and MASSIVE property damage. No one's interested in seeing people in spandex stand around and talk about stuff.

Wrong. And it's long past time for you to stop reading anything that isn't an english text book or dictionary so that when you speak and use words, you're using them with their proper definitions.

The "whole movie" is about two hours long and it hasn't been released yet.

He's clearly projecting his own issues onto the film. He's at a transitional stage where the carefree childhood years have almost all faded away and he's staring down the future of moving out of the house, getting a job, not having mom and dad around to take care of his problems and growing up. He's terrified of the massive changes and the reality of adulthood that's coming. He's looking for solace and stability in the stuff of childhood.

He comforts himself thinking he's got all the answers when the reality is that he doesn't even know the questions.

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think I only reply to him out of boredom. That or I like talking to brick walls.

I wasn't keen on the music in this trailer as I have been on previous trailers....but yeah, it looks fucking fantastic. I like how when they're hitting each other there's that sort of distortion effect to emphasize the power that's going into the punches.

I'm really stoked to see a Krypton that's more inline with the super science world that it was in the comics. Even as a kid, I never liked that crystal stuff from the first movie.

On top of that, we're looking at the movie that could open us up to a cinematic DCU, so here's hoping that they've planted the seeds for the future as well.

Strange to think that we're only a week away now!

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the crystalline look of the original movie because it looked nothing like the kind of Flash Gordon-y future Krypton was typically presented as. It was technology so advanced that it has ceased to look like anything we could recognize as machinery or devices.

That being said, it's past time to move past it and try something else.

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

I wasn't aware that Dr. Phil posted on Trekbbs. Actually, thats rude, I apologise. To Doctor Phil. Thats actually more like if Dr. Nick from the Simpson's tried to analyse someone. That last sentence in particular maybe the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I don't know everything, and I've never pretended that I did. That doesn't mean I can't look at stuff about a film and form an opinion. There is a lot I don't know, but I can spot a horrible superhero movie fairly easily. Making some weird statement about me based on my age and the fact that I'm an angry nerd who hates Man of Steel is just stupid. I can be an ass about stuff I hate, especially if its a type of thing that I like (like superheros, and superhero movies). I'll admit that I've gone on too long about this topic, and I'm about wound down about the movie. I posted about the last trailer pretty much because of the new stuff that seemed stupid, but even I know that there isn't much left for me to say. I can't say I won't post anymore (if a trailer until the movie comes out has something especially bad, I will probably mention it) but I will honestly try to not just keep coming into the thread to say the same complaints over and over. I'm still going to reply to posts, and I might post about newly revealed stuff I think is stupid, but I think I've said everything I can about the stuff I dislike about what has been revealed.

There isn't some kind of secret feelings of despair behind me being an angry nerd, but there is always someone who has to overanalyse stuff, I guess. The form this took is weird, like someone has been watching too many shows about psychiatrists (maybe a marathon of Dr. Phil?) and decided to try to do it. Or, maybe you could have a job related to psychology/mental health. I have absolutely no idea. If you don't, I'd stick to your day job. If you do...well, I'm not going to make any judgements about the quality of skills of someone who works in a field I know less than nothing about. The closest I've come to watching stuff about psychology is watching reruns of Fraiser. Still, the little paragraph with someone trying to describe me or who I am based off of age and hating a superhero movie was entertaining. I've never had that happen on a foum before, so if nothing else I got a memorably bizarre post about me, which is enough that I don't even find it annoying, just interesting.

But, just to be clear, Angsty/dark, to me, fits a person who is wandering around doing odd jobs to "find themselves", atleast in something like this.

If he's wandering around doing odd jobs looking for himself, this seems to fit the reason for it. I'm not trying to say that people can't go "find themselves" without being brooding/angsty, I'm just saying that Clark seems to be doing that, especially because of what the general tone of a lot of the movie seems to be (which is the nolan Batman movies but with Superman and more explosions).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And you can infer all that all that from a few quick shots of him on a fishing boat?

Those guys on Deadliest Catch are all so emo.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

IOW you're not even pretending that you know what's going on in the movie with the character; you're just making up whatever sounds believable to you and judging a movie you haven't seen based on that.

10. kirk55555

He's wandering around. He has a beard. He's doing odd jobs when there is no reason that he could possibly have to do that (atleast no good reason). To me, that screams of him dealing with some Nolan brand angst. Its Nolan's bruce Wayne with more manual labor. He's not just wandering because he likes to travel.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The worst part is since he won't see the movie we'll still have to read these stupid posts after next week while we talk about what we liked and didn't like.

12. Griever

Griever Captain Captain

Third Clip featuring Anje Traue (Faora) and Christopher Meloni (Colonel Hardy)!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPB5xc_666w&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  13. kirk55555

I may talk about any more released footage, or mention reviews that seem to support my opinion, but honestly I'm running out of things to talk about anyway, and I am aware that its becoming more than pointless. Thats not to say I have nothing more to post (and I'm definately going to respond to posts) but after it comes out there will be less to post about, atleast when it comes to just things I'm seeing in the trailers.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

Clark has always loved to travel. It's his way of experiencing the human condition. It's impossible to understanding something alien without fully embracing and engaging in it.

He's literally walking (or hitchhiking) in humanity's shoes.

It's totally consistent with the history of the character. I thought you knew Superman?

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

How do you know he is wandering around? The movie isn't out yet and you have not seen it.

There could be a very good reason they show him doing odd jobs. But since you haven't seen the movie and you have already made your mind up there can't be good reasons...that is nothing but circular logic. That shows poor reasoning skills.

16. kirk55555

Well, lets see. In bearded hobo mode, he's been shown hitchhiking, on a fishing boat, and I think atleast one other odd job. Either he's wandering, or Smallville is a lot closer to the ocean than Kansas is in real life.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

So people with beads are hobos? I am putting you on a personal igmore list. Life is too freaking short to deal with this sophomoric closed mindedness.

Your trolling has taken up a majority of the focus of this thread recently. I am going to stop feeding you and wish others will follow suit.

18. kirk55555

I just want to say that "Bearded hobo" is just a joke. I know he's not a hobo. I'm also not trolling, but I guess expressing a minority opinion is "trolling". I'll admit I've posted way too much about it (and a lot of negative comments about something could be called trolling) but I never posted to make people mad, I just express my opinions (not that I'm too surprised to not agree with a lot of people, but I'm just saying I'm not posting to piss people off, which is what I consider trolling).

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that works.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hobo

[​IMG]

Angst

[​IMG]