Are the aliens in Basics that planet's Cro-Magnons?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by desfem79, Jan 17, 2014.

1. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

Was thinking, they seemed sapient (the correct term not sentient as said in the episodes lol..), they had religion by means of worshipping the snake-lizard animal, and they even had basic medicine as their leader cured infant Naomi's cough.

It just seems to me they were that planet's version of us as Cro-Magnons, or when Mitochondrial Eve was alive.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were a seemingly tribal people with low tech who lived in harsh conditions. Plenty of folk on earth who fit that description.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

They seemed to have crude speech. I'd say Neanderthals of that planet

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the title of this thread as "Kromaggs" and envisioned the timeline-hopping Nazi aliens from Sliders.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were a little too close to our Cro-Magnon ancestors, with their "unga-bunga" mode of speech, their primative loin cloths, their Hippy wigs from Target and ... and so forth. I really did not care for them. Nor did I care for the simplicity and stupidity in which their capture of Kes & Neelix was handled.

It seemed so staged. And they weren't bound, in any way. They weren't being pawed and manhandled, at all. Just made to crouch low, whilst the aliens formed a cirlce around them, letting Chakotay just lead them out. It was so lame. The CGI Dune worm they used was equally lame and incapable of any meaningful threat, or action. "Oh, look! What luck! The Dune worm is sleeping ... we can walk around him and get to the other side!" which Chakotay, Tuvok and the crew all do. Then ...

THEN, just as they head towards the cave exit, there's some kind of CGI Dune worm Advancement Blur as the Voyager team makes strangely loose rocks above the entrance cave in and block it. The whole sequence on this planet was so poorly executed and rushed, in general. It was a lost opportunity ...

The worst, though, was the robust and healthy Unga Bunga Boy, trapped on a rock by a lava stream, and Chakotay leaping onto it, flinging him over his shoulders and making the short leap back to safety. Thank Providence for these god-like beings, right Tribal Chieftan? You'd never have been able to figure that out, on your own. Ahh ... silly Cro-Magnon Man. Will you never learn?

6. Non-Beard Riker

Non-Beard Riker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What are you trying to say?

When mitochondrial eve was alive there were no Cro-Magnons.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^ What's the point of your post? It's not quite clear.

The Mitochondrial Eve is believed to have lived within the time period the Cro-Magnons lived.

8. Non-Beard Riker

Non-Beard Riker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Mitochondrial Eve is supposed to be the ancestor of all humans. Cro-Magnon is a branch of the Caucasians, who lived about 40,000 - 10,000 years ago.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

(Conjunction junction, what's your function?)

or

conjunction

1. used to link alternatives.

al·ter·na·tive

noun

1. one of two or more available possibilities.

:lol: