Better if they had allowed main cast to die?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Crazyewok, Jun 29, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have been better had they allowed the characters to grow. 7 year Ensign Kim anyone?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because he wasn't promoted with pips doesn't mean he didn't have great personal growth over those 7 years. Why I swear he looks at least six months grown from Caretaker to Endgame.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well 1990 was a few years before the internet went mainstream and from memory it wasn't certain that Stewart would return.

4. teacake

Those days when they told us a story and we went.. aaaah, ooooooh..

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I haven't aaahed, or oooohed a season cliff hanger sice Pam found Bobby in the shower.

6. teacake

Being a somewhat naive woman for whom suspension of disbelief comes rather too naturally my last ooh and aaah was a lot more recent than that.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Sisko died in a fire... But assimilation would have saved her conciousness and preserved her physicality... It was just questionable if at the point that they, being 5 minutes after assimilation was invented that the anyone thought that it was reversible.... And if Ben could have tricked or forced a Drone into taking his wife before she died.,

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that's a classic one! :bolian:

The most classic scene ever in the history of television.

9. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

When I first watched ENT like a month ago, I HATED the song.

Now I love it! So weird.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But we never saw any repairs, or battle damage. They were in a worse situation than VOY where resources would've even more stretched out yet we never this impact the Station or the Defiant.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

How were they in a worse station than Voyager?

12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, DS9 itself was on the safe side of the lines after the Occupation Arc and was close enough to Bajor that they could probably have essentials brought in as-needed. When they didn't we had episodes like "Empok Nor" or "The Siege of AR-558", though granted the second one didn't primarily involve Our Heroes.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

DS9 was during a big war wherein we kept hearing about how the Fed Alliance was losing and hundreds of ships were being destroyed. You'd think supplies would be harder to come by int his kind of context, yet the Station was always at 100% good condition and the Defiant, despite being sent out to battle numerous times between episodes, was always in 100% good condition like it was factory fresh.

VOY was not at war with anyone in the Delta Quadrant, and it wouldn't be that hard to just draw power from any Suns or Nebulae or whatever to power the replicators, and the Delta Quadrant was loaded with alien species with their own commerce hubs and repair stations they could go to.

So yeah, I'd say it's harder to believe that DS9 was always in good shape compared to VOY.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But the Federation/Starfleet would have thousands of industrial replciators to call upon. It was likely DSN itself was equipped with at least one industrial replciator in order to serve as a repair facility.

It is highly improbable that Vouyager would have an industrial replicator to replicate all those parts and hull plates they needed week in week out.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Just as believable that VOY would have an Industrial Replicator as well. The war's effect would've been better shown if the Station was shown battle-damaged and the Defiant being more battle scarred as well. And don't get me started on how no one in the main cast died except Dax.

They wouldn't need them week in and week out. Federation Starships are designed for missions that take them away from Known Space for years. TOS had the Enterprise on a 5 year mission away from Fed space where it would be beyond any repair facilities. They wouldn't send them out on missions like that if they needed maintenance so fast and so easily.

And Voyager would easily run into alien repair stations and commerce hubs, without being at war with anyone to make them need stuff all the time.

Hell, Moya from Farscape was a "living" ship but we never saw it having to "eat" anything to survive but no one complains there.

16. Guy Gardener

Industrial replicators are I suspect for creating devices, or quantities of anything, with a an even greater mass than a Star Ship.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Don't know about that. In DS9 Eddington stole 4 Industrial Replicators. If they were really that big, they wouldn't be easily transported all together in some transport ship.

18. teacake

What they need is an industrial replicator which replicates the starships etc.. as a transporter pattern. Then you aim the replicator into space, beam out the pattern and voila! A brand new starship.

This would also work well for filling people's offices with tribbles.

19. Guy Gardener

You're assuming that industrial replicators are massive boxes that magically create "whatever" inside that box.

1. A parabolic dish. Or a few parabolic dishes, means that you don't need a box the size of a building, you just need 5 or 6 dishes placed evenly apart at an appropriate distance.

2. Power. Lets just assume an industrial replicator needs power specifications of 8 starship warp drives? There's three answers to that question... 8 starships, an independent power source, or plug it into the planetary grid. If you try to plug your kitchen replicator into 8 star ships, there's no "might" about whether it's going to blow up.

3. Replicators don't create matter, they transmute matter from something cheap and useless (for food, I'm assuming biomatter is code for poop.) into a number of simple things/stuffs that can be used for many services/duties/requirements... As has been said a couple times there are some "elements" or wiggy "stuff" (and latinum) that is unreplicatable. Which means after you've set up your industrial replicators to create a billion tons of "X" to do/manifest "Y" you still need close to a billion tons of "Z" to put into the replicator to be transmuted into "X". To ensure uniform results, whatever the frakk "Z" is, it had best be consistently the same "thingy" made up from the same grade/quality of that "thingy".

I mean you'd feel slutted if you found that your thingy had been cut with baby laxatives, and wonder if hat has any impact on you final product?!

20. teacake

AND you could use it as a weapon. No need to smuggle in explosive ingredients all replicators and transporters are designed to be incapable of reproducing, you just replicate an asteroid's worth of rock and transport it into your target building.