Who is John Harrison (Possible SPOILERS or Insane Babbling)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Green Mushroom, Dec 11, 2012.

?

Who is John Harrison?

1. A new character named John Harrison

23.6%
  2. A new character with the psuedonym John Harrison

14.5%
  3. Khan

17.3%
  4. Gary Mitchell

17.3%
  5. Harry Mudd

2.7%
  6. Nero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trelane

0.9%
  8. Other (Please Explain)

23.6%
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Could be a genetically engineered hybrid of Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty. Sherlock's appearance and Moriarty's criminal personality with some amazing powers tossed in by the scientists for good measure?

2. dcbpe

dcbpe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I shall. My wife might think I'm crazy when I do it, but I guess that won't be out of the ordinary.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Or Lazarus. Nothing seen so far disproves Lazarus. :p :lol:

4. Gogeta

Gogeta Cadet Newbie

New to the board....looking forward to the new movie. I am very interested in who the bad guy really is. I am hoping he is Gary Mitchell. Like most, I do think John Harrison is a fake cover name for the real bad guy. It could be made up. Cumberbatch will also be playing the part of Brian Epstine in upcoming Tom Hanks movie about the Beatles manger. Make me wonder if the name "John Harrison" is a name that Abrams came up with from combination of John Lennon and George Harrison.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not Gary Mitchell.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's Robert April after a trip to Cerebus II:techman:

7. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

John Harrison will be revealed to be the dreaded villain Harri Johnson, a vengeance-obsessed manscaper.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

"You think your world is safe <*snip!... snip!*> but this is an illusion."

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

John Harrison

Harry Mudd

Isn't it obvious?

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harr, Harr
    He's a pirate? :p

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    John Harrison is obviously a villain who will give a long speech that last most of the movie and then die a month later of pneumonia.

Damn Space Whigs.

12. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I think 'John Harrison' may be either a pseudonym of "John Arrik Soong", son or grandson of Arrik Soong, or that he may be an alternate-universe-accelerated Soong-type android, sort of a re-imagined Lore.

We know that Noonian Soong was able to create androids which both had emotions and appeared perfectly human ('Inheritance') and while that's a lot of canon to be throwing at the mass audience the film is courting, that same mass audience will likely just happily accept a human-appearing android without needing to be given a justification for it.

Arrik Soong's knowledge of genetic engineering/gene therapy would account for Harrison's claim to be able to help the little girl. His being an android would plausibly account for his apparently superhuman abilities and nerve-pinch immunity.

Soong's treatment at the hands of Starfleet could also be the underlying vengeance motive.

The biggest weakness of this theory is his status as a Starfleet officer. Granted, there's Data, but I always got the impression that Data was somewhat famous within Starfleet just for being an android officer, so assuming that would hold true in this case, it would be pretty tough to clandestinely plan a bunch of terror attacks.

So perhaps Harrison is an augment, but of the Soong variety rather than a Khan descendant or analogue (or Khan himself).

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

An android would explain his abilities - but he's seen bleeding in the rooftop fight with Spock (although I guess Terminators bleed too...) and I can't see him being PO'ed at his treatment by SF being reason enough to cause the kind of destruction he does.

Into Darkness definitely has one android (or possibly cyborg?) in the form of Joseph Gatt's character GATT2000. Of all the characters in the movie, he's the one I'm most curious to see.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  14. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I hadn't thought about the bleeding. That probably puts the kibosh on the Soong-type android theory. Leaving us (well, me) with Soong-augment or Augmented Soong descendant.

15. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure he's seen in the room with all the pods (cryo-chambers?) in the trailer. The person seen there is bald and really buff, and not many other known cast fit into that build.

His character description is really vague. Maybe if they're augments, they might not just be biologically enhanced, but maybe technologically as well. Sort of transhuman almost.

16. Aldar

Aldar Cadet Newbie

This has probably been brought up before, but I couldn't find it. What about the scene in the trailer when two hands are being held together separated by glass just like the scene in ST2 when Spock dies and Kirk holds his hand up to Spock's separated by glass? So maybe John Harrison is Kahn or just coincidence? However I'm tired of remakes of everything, so hopefully it is a new character.

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing based on all those chambers we saw in another video (or picture) that John Harrison is another Botany Bay passenger, possibly the only Botany Bay passenger that they thawed out possibly years earlier, or Harrison is a covert modern day decendent of the genetic 'superman' trying to get to the BB passengers who are still in statis in some sort of corporate research center (this is where Weller's character comes in) after the Reliant found the BB floating in space.

18. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

John Harrison is actually John Logan.

And Boy! Is he pissed...

ETA: Actually, I'm getting the feeling this movie is connected more and more to Season 4 of (gasp!) Enterprise.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to go with John Harrison is John Harrison.

20. dcbpe

dcbpe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, now that I've read spoilers of the new movie (haven't seen it yet) I am both very disappointed in the writers and preparing to eat my ticket on video for Admiral Buzzkill