The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. pork3

pork3 Commander

But what if it's a higher power at play here?
    Could the Walking Dead actually be angels trying to deliver a message from God?
    Has all of this happened before and will it happen again?

-Jamman

2. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that would make sense except no one has shown the least bit of concern about being covered in zombie juices up to that point. Remember when Daryl threw a just killed zombie over t-bone? or Andrea stabbed a zombie in the eye and got splattered in the face? or Ric and glen (?) covered themselves in zombie juice to go find a car when they were stuck in town in the first couple episodes?

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A previous poster suggested the virus is nanobots. If that were the case,, it seeems to me a worldwide signal (and not related at all to the nanobots) might have accidentally triggered a response by the bots to create zombies. That would be the only plausible way i can see the epidemic appearing everywhere at one time.

My theory is that there are actually 2 things: the zombie "virus",which reanimates the dead, and a zombie "bacteria" which kills people. As we see, EVERYONE who dies, whether bite or hanging, could be become a zombie.The "bacteria"is simply one way to die.

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just quick thoughts on Dale & Shane...

i will REALLY miss Dale....he's the wise man of the group. i guess i just agree with his thoughts...that's why i didn'y see it as preachy. Hopefully Hershel can fill that role...though he seems to be stuck in his own pain right now.

And Shane....a good antaginist for this past season...but his end made sense. To me, he seems to have suffered PTSD...and we can see with solddiers and cops...that can turn deadly. Like others mentioned...the stuff he did was irrational (buy certainly not any more improbably than zombie apocalypse)...but the Walking Dead story sync had a poll question asking if Shane just made it up as he went along...and i think that was indeed the case. And eventually, it caught up with him.

5. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Shane has been batshit crazy for a long time now. It just finally got to the point where Rick couldn't keep ignoring it.

Also zombification is a complete MacGuffin in the comic so people hoping for answers probably shouldn't hold their breath (the CDC episode was way more than several years of the comic ever provided).

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

As we've seen, the TV series is willing to stray form the comics. Television audiences will demand more answers IMO than comic book fans will. They will have to continue to drop hints on the cause and potential cure of the virus to keep people engaged.

Unless The Walking Dead writing staff intends to completely stray from the formula - which typically is to provide the audience with some hope for a cure and what caused the virus in first place - I think people will get bored with week after week key characters being killed and then new one's added - without any sense of a conclusion coming.

7. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

These last two episodes were pretty horrible. Some stuff that stood out like Lori thanking Shane. Wow, really? He's a known murderer, tried to rape her, and recently tried to beat her husband to death. Not to mention he's spent the whole season being an asshole. But her response is "Hey, thanks for everything buddy. P.S. Just in case you were about to get over us, I miiiiiight still have feelings for you but we can never be together because Rick is still here." At the minimum Rick, Dale, Lori, and Darrel knew Shane murdered Otis. But I guess they don't feel all that bad about one of their own killing one of their hosts. Naw the more pressing threat was the handful of walkers locked in the barn. Terrible, terrible guests.

Speaking of which... these people have been on the farm for weeks, and all they've done really since being there is shoot dead family members, murder one living one, conspired to let another family member kill themselves, wreck one of their cars, sex up one of their daughters, use up a bunch of their meds and other supplies, lose one of their horses, and generally be nuissances without being of very good use. (Actually they did take care of the walker in trapped in the.... oh right they screwed that up too.) So obviously the logical response from Herschel is "Aw hell, I shoulda moved you folks in a long time ago." Riiight.

Anyone wonder why they bothered having Randall see Shane conspire against Rick? You'd think maybe Randall, while begging for his life, would have spilled the beans on Shane to create dissension? I guess he is awfully dumb. But then why have him witness it? Also why didn't Andrea ever tell Rick what Shane was planning? Oh wait, Dale only told like one person about that, so I guess she really just being the new Dale. Seems like important information. Then again like half the group knew Shane killed Otis and doesn't seem concerned.

Still the worst parents on TV. I think worse than an episode of Maury Povic or that reality show about pageants. "Hey, Carl you may have stolen a gun and needlessly antagonized a placid zombie in to wiggling loose then failed to tell anyone which lead to that zombie killing Dale. But don't you ever... EVER think you had anything to do with those tragic events. Here, keep the gun you stole with no repercussions what so ever! Now we're going to just stop paying attention to you so you can become a valuable plot point later tonight. Don't forget your gun!" The message they're teaching him is that the world is fucked and it no longer matters what you do.

8. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless God's message is "Grr...arg", Zombies really aren't the best way to deliver it. Nothing so far in the series has indicated the supernatural exists, beyond the zombies, so ascribing it to a deity doesn't seem that logical.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a special kind of bacteria. The human mouth already contains some fairly nasty bugs you wouldn't want to get into your bloodstream. Now add to that every bacteria that grows in rotting meat, and you've got a recipe for severe blood poisoning.
    And who knows what kind of effect the zombie "virus" has on a persons immune system.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course they sound similar, Bear McCreary composed both shows.

Check his site to learn more, he already has his behind the scenes video out for the past episode, would love to get the WD soundtrack when ever he releases it.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/

10. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rick was so distraught about killing Shane that he forgot Shane would re-animate? Shane wasn't planning on killing Rick until Rick mentioned it? Carl just happened to be wandering around?

:lol:

Christ, do you people even pay attention to the show you're watching?

And don't even get me started on the painfully ridiculous idea that Rick died and came back as a non-zombie zombie.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved that episode. It almost feels like a different show compared to the first half of the season. So much seems to have happened!

I thought this was the best-looking episode as well. I liked the shot of Rick and Carl sat on top of the barn, but the field scene was just gorgeous. The silhouettes under the moonlight was so beautiful.

Hopefully Daryl will get promoted to second in command now, he's my favourite character and reminds me of Sayeed from Lost.

12. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

You ever had to put a knife in your life long best friend's stomach and then had your son show up out of the blue to witness it? Yes, it's conceivable he would get distracted enough to forget for a few moments.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And his son was holding a gun to his head. Or do you have a better explanation?

On your other points, totally agree.

14. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

He turned his back to Shane first, I think.

15. Servo

Aye, I do have a better explanation; "everyone is infected, and you'll all reanimate no matter how you die" wasn't what the CDC guy told Rick. That's why Rick turned his back on Shane, because he wasn't expecting him to come back. Nothing to do with being distraught or Carl being there. He simply didn't know it was going to happen.

16. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

^ That's certainly possible. I wish the writers would have shed some light on what the CDC guy really did say to Rick.

In the bar fight a few episodes back, did Rick shoot both of the bad guys in the head or elsewhere? I need to go back and re-watch that episode. If he shot them in the chest and called it a day, there's a good chance that Rick doesn't know that everyone's infected.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

He shot the one at the bar in the head outright, and then shot fat guy in the chest but them deliberatly walked up to him and shot him in the head, that would indicate that he knows the fat guy could have come back a zombie

18. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

He shot the skinny guy in the head and the fat man twice in the chest and once in the head.

Of course though that is just how police are trained to shoot assailants.

19. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Thanks for clearing that up. :techman:

20. Servo

I'm pretty sure Rick shot the fat guy in the head to put him out of his misery. I'd have to watch the scene again to be 100%, but I'm quite sure he was moaning or gargling on the floor, and Rick walked over and finished him off with a headshot.