Trillions of carats of asteroid impact diamonds in Russia

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by gturner, Sep 18, 2012.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

IO9 also has an article on it; looks genuine.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

The DeBeers family disagrees

4. gturner

gturner Admiral

I'll bet they do. They'd already been making sure that only geniune gem quality diamonds are considered "real diamonds" as the Russians made progress on gem-quality synthetics. I'm sure both they and the Russians will make sure the impact shock-diamonds are disallowed in the gem market.

On the bright side, soon we might here salesmen on the QVC channel saying, "These are real diamonds, not cubic zirconia, and they're cheaper, too!"

5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Synthetic diamonds are equally real... and their properties can be far superior to 'regular diamonds' (higher quality, fewer impurities - patented for creating synthetic diamond semiconductors too in 1996 along with manufacturing techniques - just never occurred in practice - could have used them since then in electronics and vastly improve computers from the get go - oh but wait... that would actually be sensible approach compared to using 'cheap' materials such as silicon).

Ultimately, both are nothing more than pressurized carbons which is the second most abundant material in the universe (this planet included).

But seeing the world we actually live in, its no wonder brainwashed general folk would go along with what DeBeers says.

6. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

So, would getting all those diamonds out of the ground and into the markets effectively kill the African mines?

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

Not necessarily. Gem quality diamonds come from kimberlite pipes coming up from the deep earth, as do garnets. The supply of diamonds from those hasn't expanded, and the shock diamonds seem to be visually different enough that the two types could be kept seperate, as long as DeBeers and all the jewerls can convince the public that one type is an expensive gem, and the other is a crappy rock.

If they fail at that, then diamond prices will indeed collapse to somewhere slightly above mining, processing, cutting, mounting, and retailing costs. Since Russia gets so much revenue from selling gem-quality diamonds from their other mines, I'm sure they gave this a lot of thought before revealing the new source.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you in Middlesboro?

9. gturner

gturner Admiral

Not anymore, but that's where I grew up.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

What I have wanted for years is a Bering Strait Bridge. Now that there are diamonds, those may be used to help fund such a venture--an excuse to build rails toward the regions needed for Bering Straits approaches.

11. gturner

gturner Admiral

I wonder if a tunnel would actually be better, considering the ice flow problems?

Of course diamonds probably aren't so much the benefit as a rail link between North America and Europe via Asia.

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Diamonds are one of the biggest brainwashing schemes ever. Their trumped up value is so overblown at this point. When synthetics can look better and cost less even. And yet, millions of men everywhere have to cough up all that money so that their wives can wear one on their fingers. I'd rather spend that money on something more substantive for her, like a commissioned work of jewelry art.

13. gturner

gturner Admiral

DeBeers is going to dispatch some SA rugby players to your house to administer a much needed attitude adjustment. Without a genuine diamond love is hollow and meaningless, and without love sex is hollow and meaningless.

The spice must flow.