Mission: Impossible IV - Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams reunite -2011

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 10, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams reunite for Mission: Impossible IV

10 February 2010
    http://totalscifionline.com/news/4625-tom-cruise-and-j-j-abrams-reunite-for-mission-impossible-iv

It mentions that J.J. Abrams probably wont direct MI:IV due to Star Trek XII and his new TV show.

2. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Just saw this a few minutes ago. 3 was strongly just ok but I have faith in this. I like the support cast of operatives that they surrounded Hunt with last time and Abrams usually bodes well for a film.

I'll definitely check this out, I'm a huge sucker for the spy/espionage genre anyhow. I'm surprised Abrams isn't directing this one himself.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked Mission: Impossible III so I'm up for more especially with Cruise & Abrams spearheading the operation.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if any Star Trek XI cast member will cameo. Nimoy as the bad guy?

Nimoy- Ethan I have and always will be your friend

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

That may indicate that Abrams is leaning toward directing Star Trek XII, which would be out the following year.

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind Joe Caranhan (Narc, Smokin' Aces) directing this. He was once attached to direct Mission: Impossible III but then dropped out. Of course, his next project is The A-Team so that might prohibit him from directing another blockbuster so soon.

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Well, shit...

(Goes back to bed, terminally annoyed)

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Okay, I have to admit that I'm curious about this part:

Honestly, wasn't every film a bit of a relaunch? The look and feel that each director brought is so different each time, that there's no real continuity in the trilogy apart from the Ethan Hunt and Luther Stickell characters.

So long as Ving Rhames is back again, they can do whatever they want. :p

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joe Carnahan won't be coming back. He had his own Mission: Impossible story which supposedly was going to be a serious R-rated spy movie. He's not going to return as Abrams' hired hand, especially since he's made the claim that his MI3 would've been so much better than what Abrams made.

If the script being hammered out deals with AI, maybe Oliver Stone would be interested? He was mulling over doing an AI-themed Mission: Impossible II.

I wonder what David Fincher's Mission: Impossible III was going to be like.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

He could play the older version of his Paris character from the original series. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he was in it.

I thought that each MI sequel was better than the movie before it, so I have high hopes for this one. Wish Abrams was directing though.

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought that M:I:III was the strongest of the series so far, so I'm happy that Abrams is sticking around as producer. He'd be a great choice to direct again, but I'd rather he direct the next Trek film than this. It would be nice to have a little more continuity - actually re-using more of the cast from the previous film than just Ving Rhames, but we'll see.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. As a huge fan of MI2, and pretty much totally indifferent to the others, I'd love to see Hopkins return. It'd kinda be a shame, though, if the next one didn't have a totally different aesthetic, as the stylistic differences between the first three have been so large. Everybody has their own favorite...

13. USS_Britain

USS_Britain Lieutenant Red Shirt

Really liked the Mission Impossible 1,2 and 3, can't wait for a 4th if there is one.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think the first film is really the only good one, but all three films are enjoyable popcorn pictures. I'd go see a fourth one, surely.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Uggggghhhhhh.

Agreed. The first film was great. The later two? Not so much.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I didn't care for the first movie. Its plot doesn't really hold together -- there's a key clue involving a Bible that somehow leads Hunt to realize who the bad guy is, but there's no reason why that clue would lead to that conclusion. And what it does to the character of Jim Phelps is unforgivable. As for the second movie, it's just not my cup of tea.

The problem with the M:I movies is that none of them really have anything to do with M:I. The first film is a Brian DePalma spy thriller, the second film is a John Woo noisefest, and the third film is Alias redux. But the third film does the best job of paying homage to the format and style of the original show, at least in the Vatican sequence. It's also the best, most character-driven movie of the three. So I'd rather have Abrams producing the fourth film than any of the others.

17. Trekker4747

Yeah, the Jim Phelps character-rape is pretty inforgivable, but I still think MI is a pretty intense and good "spy thriller." How often has the server-room scene been imitated, copied, or even referenced? It's a classic scene.

18. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that M:I:III was pretty good, so I down for a forth.

I wonder if they will call it M:I:IV:Revenge of the Colons.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the original M:I cast have all disavowed the films and refuse to have anything to do with them. If this is true, then GOOD FOR THEM. :techman:

As for Jim:
    The Jim that appeared in the first film could have been someone else in disguise, with a face mask. Weren't disguises like that already used in the film? So it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to suggest that wasn't the real Jim.

20. Trekker4747

Eh the logic of the film seems to preclude that.

"Those damn Gideons. They stamped the book, didn't they?"