Star Trek; Starfleet Academy

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    That could work well for an animated series... particularly if it was targeted to the younger crowd.

2. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

That's who I'm targeting this show towards-the next generation of Trekkers! With new characters, not new actors playing the legendary crew of TOS-to paraphrase Alexander in the episode 'Plato's Stepchildren'-"Forward, forward in our plan/We proceed as we began."

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

The Academy Years

Would this be similar to
    Harve Bennett's unproduced Starfleet Academy script (titled Star Trek The Academy Years)

As Harve said:
    24 November 2006
    http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4567b5038964d

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

How about this, same cast of youthful characters, but change the setting. Make them senior midshipmen assigned to a one ship or have them as a group moving between many ships. The commissioned officers are peripheral characters, rarely seen. Show the "kids" carrying out mission from the ship, not from the academy. They still have a lot to learn, sometimes the lessons come hard won.

Option two, similar to above, except they're resent graduates.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't want Star Trek to be any sort of animation.

Oh, and to play the pendantic Trekkie:

Canada doesn't exist.
    I don't see that as a problem, especially since the school is college level, and the students are not children.

6. jefferiestubes8

Even if it were a live-action series...

I'll borrow a quote from this thread What channel should a new Trek TV series be on? today:
    Even if it were to go ahead and aim at a younger demographic audience (under 25) a pilot and say half a dozen episodes before it would start airing. Once the fan feedback came in not liking many things the producers would start making changes but we are talking about episode 12 before seeing a lot of changes. For a 22-26 episode season on broadcast TV that's too much of a change for season 1.

Trek would work better in a 12 or 13 episode format and no matter the type of story (Starfleet Academy or not) need to stick with it regardless of fan mail. The producers need some balls to stick to their guts.

How about if it were marketed and publicized that the next Trek TV series was in development and it would be based on cadets at Starfleet Academy.
    If they actually waited and watched all of the fan websites and read the viewer feedback they could make a show that would go along with what a lot of the fans really want before the pilot even goes into pre-production.

7. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If a show was based on what fans wanted it would alienate 90% of the non-fans and never have a shot at a large enough audience to survive. Also, fans can't even agree on what they want. Just look at the split betweens fans who loved the Abrams movie and those who hated it.

What Star Trek needs is a new producer with balls to create his vision and stick to it despite what some fans on the internet say.

8. Temis the Vorta

A TV producer should just do what Abrams did: understand what is the core of Trek (it's not that complex or restrictive when you whittle it down to the essentials) and build a kick-ass story around that.

Of course, the slam-bang action approach that works in a movie would have to be amended for TV. You couldn't afford as much action but could more than compensate for it with deft storylines, characterization and dialogue.

A TV producer shouldn't have an "original" vision but rather should take the existing vision of Star Trek and create something (most) fans and the general public will appreciate.

9. Sigh

Sigh Lieutenant Red Shirt

Rather than rehashing this I'm just going to quote myself here--

Meanwhile, on the topic of anime conventions versus anime television ratings... You can't compare the two. Mainstream television viewers (the majority) do not go to conventions. Conventions are for hobbyists, fans (as in already invested in the content), and other people who have more than a cursory introduction to whatever's going on. When you introduce a television program to the mainstream audience, they aren't making any effort to receive the program other than switching the channel over from Comedy Central.

10. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

There is a good anime scifi tv series that I like. It was Mugen No Ryvius / Infinite Ryvius. A Japanese cartoon about teenegers / cadets who trapped in a mysterious starship and struggle to save their live from themselves. It is good, as although animated, but the plot is enjoyable to adults.

Soooo, I think, Star Trek Academy is a good idea for the next series. But, even when the Anime is good, I prefer Live Action.

11. jefferiestubes8

Brainsucker we know we won't see Anime style on American TV for Trek TV series.
    I would like to ask you whether you would like CGI animation (as discussed in this thread), traditional animation, or a live-action series if it were based around Starfleet Academy cadets.

12. Brainsucker

errr...don't know about CGI. But it can work

The problem of Live Action is that every Stage that used in episodes will increase the cost of the budget. While in CGI, the creator can create as many as stages / setting as they want.

13. Brainsucker

errr...don't know about CGI. But it can work

The problem of Live Action is that every Stage that used in episodes will increase the cost of the budget. While in CGI, the creator can create as many as stages / setting as they want.

14. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

:borg:

15. jefferiestubes8

elite cadets at Starfleet Academy

from the What channel should a new Trek TV series be on? thread regarding a Starfleet Academy-based Trek series
    via Starfleet Academy wiki:
    although
    I think a more exciting time would be around 2161 when Starfleet Academy is first created.

check out these locations that would be used for the series:
    Starfleet Academy training bases and annexes

and these extention courses would make great 2 or 3 part episodes:

There is also the separate
    as well as
    Nova Squadron

which would make a good idea for a series since one would assume these cadets would be older and more mature rather than young EMO angst. It was in 2372, the program was a relatively new idea when the comic book series of the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy's Omega Squad was also set.

16. jefferiestubes8

This could work and would put the cadets on a ship for a 3-year period of time.
    Of course the pilot could be done at the academy and a reveal at the end of the ship leaving spacedock.

17. Temis the Vorta

Maybe animation would be ok after all. I'm warming up to the Clone Wars animation style. It's great for doing the spaceships, planets and nonhumanoid characters and monsters. For humanoids, the movements are still too weightless and jerky, but the faces can be animated to be emotionally believable, which gives that style a vital advantage over more 2-D styles of animation.

I'd still prefer live-action, though.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Then it's just "The Lower Decks: The Series," an idea I'd find as repulsive as "Star Trek: Kids In School."

I want to see officers fully graduated and doing the job. I don't want to see wet-behind-the-ears man- and woman-children learning stuff. I have to watch that everyday I go to work. It's never pretty, and I couldn't bring myself to watch any series based on the concept.

19. Temis the Vorta

What if our young heroes-in-training are more intrepid, intelligent and admirable than the pack of bozos you apparently are forced to work with? :rommie:

I agree, nobody wants a show that reminds them of the bozos they know personally. Unless it's comedy.

20. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then you run into the Wesley problem. You can't have a bunch of cadets constantly saving the ship. There should be a reason they are only cadets and not officers.