Elite Force free download

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Donny, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Looks like the herald is offering a free download of Elite Force to every reader. If you don't have a copy, I suggest you download it. Plus, you'll be able to enjoy my Virtual Enterprise D and Virtual TOS Enteprise projects once completed!
    http://ufplanets.com/ufp/fnn/herald/autumn2011/theherald.php

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I already own it, but awesome news all the same! :techman:

BTW, I'd like to point out that this is all perfectly legal. I checked the issue of the magazine where they offer the game and apparently both Raven (the developers) and CBS gave them permission to give away the game for free.

3. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

That's so cool. It's an awesome game- should look great on today's machines, as well.

4. Chris3123

Yep. I just have the basic video card that came with my machine 2 years ago, and it runs perfectly smooth with all the settings maxed.

5. Donny

Looks way better if you force a modern card to run the game at settings even the original engine doesn't provide.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Thanks, Donny! The game looks wonderful! :D

7. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Donny, how do you force the game to even higher graphics settings?

8. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Probably with a mod of some sort. Some of the stuff users manage to pull together on their own is goddamned remarkable, and the Elite Force fans are no exception.

...but if you think that's nuts, check out what the Freespace 2 community has done with that game over the last decade. 16X anti-aliasing, HD texture packs, and 1080p all on a game developed in the late 90s? Yowza.

9. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

So is this refusing to download for anyone else, or is it just me?

I clicked the link in my email, but when I try to download it says that hotlinking isn't allowed.

10. Chris3123

Go here for how to manually set the game's resolution.

And if you plan on playing Single Player, be sure to get the latest version of iRez, a texture pack that replaces a bunch of the stock textures with higher resolution and more screen-accurate ones.

iRez for regular SP
    iRez X for the Expansion Pack SP

11. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is really cool! I never got around to playing Elite Force and regretted it.

12. Donny

I use my graphics card control center to do so, pushing the gaming performance sliders all the way up. This will increase anti-aliasing, anisotropy, etc.

13. ParLawGod

ParLawGod Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks! Looks like my brother can keep my copy of Elite Force that I loaned him :)

14. Sharpkiller

Sharpkiller Cadet Newbie

Aha, so this is where the sudden spike in the Herald readership is coming from. Glad you guys are enjoying it. :bolian:

Hi Elias,

I'm not sure why it's not letting you download the installer. I've tested the download link, and it's working fine for me. My only suggestion right now is try using a different browser. You may have a plug-in or something else which is preventing your browser from passing on the necessary information from the distribution page so it doesn't get flagged as a hotlink.

If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll look at the code and see where it may be going wrong.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  15. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

The game is 11 years old. It should be free.

I've never played it, is it fun?

I still play Counter Strike and the oldest version of it is 10+ years. I only play free (non subscription) multi-player games.

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Yes, it is, play it.

17. murby

murby Ensign Red Shirt

Great game with rpg-x mod :)

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

This game broke two of my mouses. Goodness knows what it would do to my laptop.

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Great game, can't wait to play it again!

20. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

It seems to be a heavily modified version of elite force specifically geared for online role playing. maybe Im not setting it up right, but It seems as if the only solo option is to wander the pre-loaded maps alone...perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain how to set up the game? The elite force I remember had the standard, story/level structure. This version seems like a virtual chat room where trek avatars interact on a trek map.