Dark Knight Score 2 Disc SE - Info, Track Listing

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

About a month ago, a 2-disc SE of the Dark Knight score got listed on Amazon, but nothing was available about it. The price was $65 or so. I pre-ordered it anyway. :p

Looked again today and there is finally information about what it will be, including a track listing, and the price had dropped. Yay!

It sucks royally that this score has been disqualified from Oscar consideration. Lame ass Academy rules. :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Origin.../tracks/B001HXG8PK/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_2

Disc one is the same as in the commercial release. Disc 2 will, indeed, actually give us more music from the score. :eek: Could this be the beginning of a new trend? Could we, finally, have a legitimate means of having 'extended' scores? Could the reign of 50% of less of a movies score being considered the 'complete score' commercially finally be coming to an end? Doubt it. TDK made $1 Billion dollars. That's the only reason we're seeing this. Milking the cash cow all the way home. Thankfully. ;)

Disc: 2 1. Bank Robbery (Prologue) 2. Buyer Beware 3. Halfway To Hong Kong 4. Decent Men In An Indecent Time 5. You're Gonna Love Me 6. Chance 7. You Complete Me 8. The Ferries 9. We Are Tonight's Entertainment 10. A Watchful Guardian 11. Why So Serious?(The Crystal Method Remix) 12. Poor Choice Of Words(Paul van Dyk Remix) 13. Gunpowder And Gasoline(Remix by Mel Wesson) 14. Rory's First Kiss(Remix by Ryeland Allison)

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I posted this a while back. It is very cool. I do hope it starts a new trend of seeing extended scores released commerically (like the complete score for John Williams' Superman or the upcoming complete Indiana Jones scores) but like you said The Dark Knight was a very popular and commercially successful movie so that is probably a real good reason.

Regardless, I definitely plan on getting this. I was not expecting to see this, so imagine my surprise and utter adulation. I can't wait. I've been wanting proper tracks for the bank robbery and parking garage sequence ("Buyer Beware") for months now, so it's awesome that I'll be able to arrange and assemble a "complete" Dark Knight score.

In perfect conjunction with the release of the DVD! :D

3. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I found really odd is that I tried to get the Batman Begins soundtrack in several places (HMV, Zavvi, Amazon.co.uk, among others) when The Dark Knight was in theaters. But it was nowhere to be found. It almost seems like it was and still is out of print.
    That strikes me as really odd. Normally they drag out the previous film and at least part of its merchandise (such as, well, soundtracks) when the new one launches.

4. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=0012569713246&x=15102911

It is still listed, might be available soon

5. Frontier

Should try eBay.

6. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

I won't buy the 1st disc a second time just to get at the 2nd disc. That's lame. I would really like to have that, too.

7. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

technically this is the third release

8. Frontier

Thankfully, for me, it's not much of a double-dip. I bought the Ltd. Edition TDK score signed by the composers. So this doesn't chap my ass as a double-dip, personally.

9. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$45 is way too much for a 2 disk soundtrack.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wikipedia had the complete track listings for this a while back...its where I first heard about it. I'll be getting it for sure probably not until Christmas though.

11. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I have the regular release

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the score... but... $45? That's a bit much. I'd probably have paid $30. I'll just see if I can find it used after it's out.

13. Frontier

You guys are all missing the point.

Do you know how many times a studio has released an expanded score for a film in recent decades?

I can count the times I'm aware of on ONE HAND.

When you buy a commercial score release, with usually 10-20 tracks, you're getting about half - maybe 60-65% if you're lucky - of the actual score.

This isn't something to balk at over $$$. Or even double-dipping.

This is really rare. Take advantage of it and appreciate it and enjoy it. Because it doesn't happen but maybe once a decade or so, from what I can recall.

Studio's are convinced that people don't care about scores. Only by gobbling these rare expanded editions up will we prove them wrong and hope to someday change the system. ;)

14. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Recently got Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy soundtracks, think it is all the music

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only offical releases of complete scores that I'm aware of that have been released were the LOTR Trilogy Soundtracks that came out over the past couple of years. So yeah this is a significant release...

16. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Star Wars Episode One The Phantom Menace had a complete release

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The problem is, studios are right. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm willing to be the difference in sales between Prince's Batman album and Danny Elfman's Batman score CD is astronomical. The vast majority of people want to hear the songs that were in a movie, not the score.

I own between 200 and 300 original score CDs, but facts are facts. Expanded score releases, outside of something huge like The Dark Knight will remain the pervue of niche labels like Varese Sarabande or FSM or Intrada-- labels where expanded releases are issued all the time.

Since The Dark Knight isn't a very diverse score thematically, I'm not going to pick this up (unless the price drops astronomically).

A release that was characterized by very poor editing, and as a result, did not sell that well.

If it's any consolation, I'm looking at my itunes right now and see expanded releases for "Aliens," "The Fury," "Blade Runner," and "Gettysburg," and I recently pruned my itunes from having all of my music to less than 20% of it!

18. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Are you serious? It is exactly as it sounds in the movie, plus music that was not used in the movie

19. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original Star Wars films have all had two-disc releases of the complete scores--releases which also included the "source" music, such as the Mos Eisley Cantina band as well as suites of the main themes used (Imperial March, baby, yeah!). Not to mention a few alternate cues, the highlight of those being the very first, unused recording of the opening titles.

20. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I forgot, so Star Wars 1, 4,5 ,6 all have complete soundtrack cd releases