General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I get why Brock is back, but I was never a big fan, so my interest is at the moment minimal.

Should still be interesting though.

2. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

My only real memory of Brock was his feud with Benoit indirectly led to the greatest match at WM that never happened.

That and his squash of Hulk Hogan.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

My memories of Brock was the program with Angle, and unfortunately dropping Kurt on his neck a few times. I wasn't a huge fan as we discussed in the original whenever his name came up, but I am interested in seeing if WWE can do something with this or not.

4. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Brock Lesnar eh? Where do I begin...

Well let's try this, if WWE was making a Brock DVD (which they probably are) the sort of things that MUST be included would be:

We'd start with his sensational series of matches with Kurt Angle in 2003, which is probably the defining point of his career as a professional wrestler. His match at Summerslam 2002 against The Rock and his feud with The Undertaker are definitely things that I would include.

You also have to examine the lesser known elements of Lesnar, such as his incredible matches against Big Show where he performed such feats as Superplexing Big Show (which was redone last year with Mark Henry and Big Show) and even Powerbombing him from the middle turnbuckle! Then you have the infamous botched SSP, where Lesnar almost put himself out of action - permanently. The fact remains though, the near 300lb Lesnar was quite capable of performing the SSP and he regulary used the move during his OVW days.

5. Admiral_Young

I'd be shocked if a Lesnar DVD wasn't already in the works...speaking of which CM Punk's DVD finishes shooting at Extreme Rules this month. His family is supposed to be there or something according to him. This was a request. Not sure if they'll be in the DVD or not. For some reason if JeriTroll gets a rematch I get the feeling they're going to repeat what they did with Miz and Cena at last year's Extreme Rules where the WWE Champion lost to the challenger. I hope I'm wrong in this case, but I can't shake this feeling. I have stated from the start (and I know some of you disagree with me) that Jericho is gonna get the title during this program. If that happens I predict Punk will win it back again for his Third WWE Title reign.

Actually my ramblings create a question...who should Punk defend his title against next? If not Jericho...then who would be a good candidate? There aren't a lot right now. Maybe Dolph again? Mark Henry? Del Rio seems to be about to start a program with Sheamus. I've been thinking about this for a while and don't know.

6. Mr Silver

I'd say that there is the possibility of DB being drafted to Raw...

7. Admiral_Young

"Yes!!" "Yes!!" "Yes!!!" "Yes!!!"

I could see that happening. The draft is supposed to happen later this month.

8. Mr Silver

WWE seems to have abandoned the prohibition on blood, although I'm not convinced that Cena's busted lip was a blade job - nor am I convinced as to whether it was hard way because Brock would have knocked him loopy had he connected stiff. I would say it was probably fake blood, the same as what would appear from the mouths of those who were trapped in Undertaker's Hell's Gate submission in the early days of the move. The run in from the locker room (which was ridiculous, given that it shouldn't take twenty well built men and most of WWE's referee population to restrain two, no matter how out of control they might be) provided ample opportunity for one of the referees to slip a blood pack to Cena and for him to apply it.

I'm glad that WWE are pushing Brock as his old arrogant/monster heel self, because that's how he works best as a character. However, if WWE thinks that this will get the people behind Cena, they are terribly mistaken...

I wonder when they will just give up and let it be? After all, people pay good money to see a show where the likelyhood of Cena getting his ass kicked and/or massively negative reaction is very high - as Wrestlemania XXVIII appears to have demonstrated. (it's been rumoured that WM did 1.5 million buys, which is huge!)

I wonder if the alcohol that Jericho is using to "humiliate" CM Punk is non-alcoholic? Given Punk's strict adherence to the straight edge lifestyle, I can't imagine him agreeing to do it with real booze and nor should he have to.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Yes Yes Yes supposed to be the new "What?". At least the "What" was funny at first. "Yes" feels just too bland.

10. Satyrquaze

During Cena's promo with Johnny minutes afterward he was cleaned up, but his mouth area was badly swollen. I don't think that WWE make-up could fake that so convincingly. Seemed to me that Brock didn't expect to connect or simply briefly forgot it wasn't a UFC match. You'll note on the slow-mo that Brock connects and then adjusts and then repeatedly misses by a wide margin.

They did a similar angle with Triple H and Shawn Michaels shortly after Shawn came back in 2003. The locker room was emptied but it was not enough to restrain Michaels. :rolleyes:

One would hope its non-alcoholic, I recall JBL doing something like that to Punk as well back in the day during Punk's first run with the WHC.

11. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I always wondered if Raven poured actual alcohol on Punk during that one fantastic match they had ages and ages ago.

I would be extremely shocked if Jericho didn't win the title during this current run, but I also hope that WWE doesn't just do a rehash of last year.

Good stuff between Lesner and Cena on Raw, but, man oh man, did the Three Stooges thing annoy me a lot more than it ever should have.

Bret Hart noted Will Sasso being on Raw, and made a (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) comment about his match with Sasso being the best he ever had in WCW.

12. Satyrquaze

It may have been tounge-in-cheek, but the sad truth is that Sasso is in the running for Hart's best opponent in WCW. He's easily in the top ten.

13. Admiral_Young

^ That was one of the only good things they did with Bret. I remember falling for it lol. Heel Brock is back!!! This is already more interesting than Rock/Cena! I don't think Cena bladed, I think he took the shot to the lower face to make their encounter more believable. Botchamania might tell us otherwise, but couldn't make out a blade job.

14. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I read somewhere that it wasn't. I imagine the same applies here. It's not difficult to fake it being alcohol, and I doubt Punk would agree to it if they tried to push it on him.

15. Admiral_Young

"Yes!" is just a chant...no where near the glory of "What" yet. I thought it was pretty awesome when the crowd were chanting one more time, Brock thought about it, then was like nope! Heel Brock! Also it really pisses me off when Cole acts all heel like for a heel character he is "pushing" on camera in character but then go all inconsistent when Brock who is clearly supposed to be a heel right now goes and attacks Cena from behind and denounces the assault! This is what is frustrating with Cole's now toned down heel character.

16. Admiral_Young

Just like Triple H's loss...this was inevitable...and it appears every match (even the first 'Taker/Trips match) will be included in this DVD.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_60220.shtml

I was listening to something the other day and the guys were saying that there have been serious talks to end the streak in the past, that Mark is not as protective of it as some of us may think, Randy Orton was planned to end the streak the first time during his Legend Killer gimmick a few years ago. I think it is very possible that Sting would have ended it last year had he signed with WWE. I think Mark would have give it up to get someone over or to create an interesting ongoing story line, but now there is no point.

Just saw something that Scott Hall has been arrested again...if I find a link I'll post it, or someone else can.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

WWE needs to get it's act together...I know HHH wants Sheamus as WHC...but DB as a ultimate heal hasn't run it's course. ;) AJ...so sweet an lovely needs a payoff for this AJ/DB garbage. :rolleyes:

18. Admiral_Young

19. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

A bit late to the game with a few observations about Raw:

--Cena's mouth injury looked real to me. As noted, he was sporting a fat lip for the remainder of Raw that didn't look like it could be easily faked. Say what you want about him, but he's a true company man after lying down for the Rock at WM28, getting F5'd by Lesnar the following week and taking a punch this week. Looks like they're trying to erase SuperCena after all.

--Lesnar needs a mouthpiece or should just be a silent war machine. I know a wrestler who doesn't do promos isn't the WWE way but whenever he says more than a few words, he becomes less of a monster.

--Mark Henry is getting as much out of Jericho/Punk as Jericho and Punk are. Henry looked completely badass against Punk the past few weeks and gets something to do with Punk taking the DQ this week. I'd never have guessed in a million years that Henry and Punk would have good ring chemistry together.

--Sasso's Hulk Hogan imitation was uncanny and him taking a chokeslam from Kane were literally the only things I liked about the Three Stooges appearance. The less said about that, the better.

20. Admiral_Young

Both Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff recently tweeted that Bret Hart is a sad, bitter person. That was from Bischoff. Hogan said he felt sorry for Bret because he is the type of person who needs someone to hate to feel better about him. Excuse me?

Bret has been critical of both Hogan and his time in WCW of course. I believe he was entitled to feel that way since WCW couldn't find a way to utilize him. Eric has admitted this himself. I get pissed off when Hogan and Bischoff run their mouths like this, they probably don't realize that it just continues to put them both in a bad light. Especially Hogan given what he's been and going through lately.