What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^I'd go with Kafka.

While I was away on a trip I finished The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear. I think I might take a break from Sherlock and read The Great Gatsby before the film comes out.

2. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards Kafka first. It's a bit of a lighter read before i dive right into Ulysses.

3. trekkiebaggio

Started The Essential Spider-Man vol. 6.

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

The Blue Hand by Edgar Wallace (very predictable plot but a few nice and thrilling complications)

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Just began leafing through The Making of the President 1968 by Theodore H. White.

6. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Under the Dome - Stephen King

Getting near the end and things are getting intense.

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I didn't see this thread earlier. Per my other thread, I do read a lot of magazines and graphic novels but haven't read a book or e-book lately.

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have just finished Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church by Lauren Drain. Lauren was only 14 when her father decided to make a documentary film about the WBC. Originally a liberal he converted to the WBC way of thinking and moved his family to Topeka to join the church. When she was 21 years old the church decided to banish Lauren and she was forced to leave and is no longer allowed to have contact with her family. It is a moving story. 4/5.

I am now reading Zahrah the Windseeker by Africian writer Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu. It blurb at Amazon says

9. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    The same book here, but I'm merely past 300 pages so far.

It's over 1000 pages thick and everyone who sees me with it makes huge eyes and asks if I'm reading it. No, dammit, I just keep it open on a random page for fun :rolleyes: :guffaw:

10. trekkiebaggio

Finished The Great Gatsby. I'm afraid I have to agree with those who said it was overrated. It's very well written and I enjoyed it, but due to its reputation I think I was expecting something more.

Back to Sherlock Holmes.

I'm sure a lot of you are aware of this site, but a friend recently directed me to Goodreads and it seems to be a pretty good site to share what you're reading and to get recommendations.

11. Ashu

I just got on to good reads myself. Which comes in handy when i can never decide what to read next.

Mind you depending on just what it recommends it might also add to that dilema :lol:

12. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Star Trek TOS: Allegiance in Exile.

13. trekkiebaggio

Well, quite. I already have loads queued on Kindle, plus more on my Amazon wishlist and now the good reads recommendations!

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Rise Like Lions

15. Ashu

Yeah, just when you start making a dent on your list it gets ten times bigger.

It is nice to get some fresh suggestions though, switch it up a bit.

16. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I'm reading a book called ORIGIN by J Konrath. There was a discovery in 1906 in the Panama jungle, and it just woke up.

17. mari

mari Captain Captain

Been almost 2 months since I posted in here... I finished Agent to the Stars and now I'm working through A Journey to the Center of the Earth. I'm 68% through (thanks, Kindle!) and in a particularly dull part, but my insomnia seems to have returned so I should get through it soon.

Miss Chicken, the Westboro book intrigues me. I've read an autobio by a former FLDS woman (can't remember offhand what it was as I borrowed it from a coworker 3 jobs ago) and it's probably a very similar story. I'd like to read the Westboro one to compare.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I've finished Shadows Cast By A Billion Suns (fantabulous, though the ending was hard to take) and am now beta-reading The King's Blood for blab. Recently arrived and in the wings are Arena Man by Steve Englehart and the Steve Ditko Gorgo collection.

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Was it Escape by Carolyn Jessup?

I plan to read at least one more book about escaping cults and it will either be "Escape" or Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill.

20. mari

mari Captain Captain

No, it was Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall - it popped up as a suggested book when I looked at the listing for Escape. :) I love books about cults, now I have two more to add to my list!