Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading part two of "Haunted" and while not a great deal happened, I swear that Miller was teasing the possible appearance of Electric Superman :) The art continues to improve as well. They've finally started to capture Tom's likeness in the book (as opposed to just on the covers) . I can see him as Superman.

I have come to the conclusion that this season would be almost nothing like what we're getting from Miller. If this was realized on television a hefty portion of it would most likely be cut down and even dumbed down to a degree. A lot of the issues that I had with the show in it's latter seasons have been sliced out by Miller. Just completely different writing and focus compared to Brian and Kelly, while still retaining all that "Smallville" quirkiness and uniqueness the show had.

2. Admiral_Young

Finished issue 27, and my goodness...did I just see the Smallville version of Gorilla Grodd? Yes, yes I believe I did. Also this is the best the art has been in this book since we started.

3. Admiral_Young

Just finished reading Smallville Season 11 #28, part one of the monthly "Effigy" spin off series that will be released on non regular series dates. I believe issue two will be released on Feb 1.

This was awesome. It starts off with Superman and J'onn starting the construction of what looks to be the future JLA Watchtower on the Moon. Clark hands J'onn "Double Stuffed" Oreos. :) Then we get a few panels where we see John Jones in his human Detective guise helping out a neighbour, and a trigger where we see the death of his family. Then we go to Gotham where Batman and Nightwing are taking down "mutant scum" (clearly a nod to The Dark Knight Returns Mutant Gang) but Babs is injured or infected by someone and is taking back to the Batcave (which we see for the first time in all it's glory...I very much doubt we would see it in the show) and Alfred. Babs is placed in a healing tank (think Star Wars) while Bruce analyses who attacked her and discovers it of alien origin, the issue ends with the appearance of John in the cave :)

The art was absolutely awesome in this issue. The best it's been in the book.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking through the preview pages on Comixology and I noticed they showed the Martian version of J'Onn. Did we ever see him clearly in his natural form in the show? I think I vaguely remember them showing a silhouette of his Martian form somewhere, but I was wondering if we ever saw more than that.

5. Admiral_Young

They showed J'onn in his Martian show a lot in "Justice League"/"Justice League Unlimited". Not sure about "Young Justice" since I haven't been watching it. In "Smallville" though, all we got I think is a couple of CGI shots of J'onn in his costume, not in Martian form though.

6. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but to paraphrase Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson:

"Who, in the Blue Hell, is Gorilla Grodd?"

:lol:

Sorry, but not familiar with the name.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And he has a Battle Spoon, with which to eat your brains. Because he's a carnivorous, telepathic, evil gorilla.

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

A-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l Righty, then!

10. Admiral_Young

He's pretty awesome actually, and under Miller even more so! This is one character whom I didn't expect to see at all in "Smallville" even in a comic continuation of the series.

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got around to reading the issue. That's not Grodd, it's Monsieur Mallah (and The Brain), old Doom Patrol villains. Even less likely to appear than Grodd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsieur_Mallah

It's kind of sad that the best Superman comic put out by DC is the Smallville tie-in.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He has appeared in a couple Young Justice episodes too. That's only reason I've even aware of the character.

13. Admiral_Young

Ahhh! That's why he had a brain around with him! Thanks for the correction. I am unfamiliar with him but it was still an unexpected and awesome appearance!

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

We briefly saw him in his native form in "Absolute Justice" when he regained his powers via Fate's Mars portal:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGryL0KmLlA[/yt]

[​IMG]

15. Admiral_Young

I'd forgotten about that.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I actually never saw Absolutel Justice. I lost track of the show briefly from AJ until the start of Season 10.

17. Admiral_Young

"Absolute Justice" was awesome. Geoff Johns wrote it :)

18. Admiral_Young

Finished reading Smallville Season 11 #29 and another awesome issue. This time Miller has introduced the Smallville version of the Black Racer who Bart revealed has been following him since Lex tortured him in "Absolute Justice" I believe. This is not good for Bart. Oliver wants to know why Chloe doesn't want to tell people about the baby yet. Chloe has been practising her archery as well. More hints of the upcoming "Crisis" are dropped as well as Miller reminds us it is approaching still.

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Actually, the sixth season ep in which Lex tortured Bart was simply called 'Justice', which basically introduced the JL. Not to be confused with the two part 'Absolute Justice'.

;)

Finally got the Comixology app up and running on my wife's S-Tab (with many thanks to Mike Farley for his assistance!) I'm looking forward to catching up on the last four issues on the Sony; much easier than lugging my laptop into bed!

20. Admiral_Young

I thought it was "Justice" but it's been so long that I've actually seen the show that I forgot! The way Miller has used flashbacks in this has been truly masterful.